12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

-
I didn't have any problems with brake components or suspension because I bought everything from Bergman Auto Craft. Just saying...

This is news for me. Is Cass Dr Diff? I could have sworn I asked him about them and he said the ones he supplies are re-drilled. if they fit off the shelf then I think that is probably the best option because they have the smaller Diameter and the thicker width.

Yes, Cass is Dr. Diff. Not saying he doesn't redrill them, I wouldn't be surprised that people complain if they have to carefully slip them on. And tolerances might be that 4 out of 5 fit and one doesn't and by redrilling them he doesn't run the risk of someone posting bad comments on the internet. Could be he just hits them with a 5/8" bit to make sure they are opened up enough, too. Not sure. And Blu said he talked to Cass and that they aren't redrilled, so there is that too.

I'm just saying if the specs match reality, they should be very close to slipping right on. I would buy one locally and try it. If it doesn't work, returns are easy.

Hmm...something else I just thought of. If the knurl on the stud sticks out past the hub face, it could cause the rotor not to seat. I was only looking at the stud itself.

So I don’t have a picture of the rotor by itself on the hub but the Stage 4 rotors are not redrilled at all. They fit tight, so you do have to make sure they seat all the down on the hub, but they don’t need any opening up of the lug holes. With this size picture I’m not sure it will be obvious but in the original and of course in person it’s obvious that nothing is done to the CL500 rotors. The stage 3 rotors on the right are clearly redrilled from 5x4.75”

IMG_5019.jpeg

I didn't have any problems with brake components or suspension because I bought everything from Bergman Auto Craft. Just saying...

Not sure who this is directed at, but I haven’t had any issues with brake or suspension components either, everything from Cass at DoctorDiff has fit and worked exactly as advertised.

It’s not like BAC sells parts that are all from the same manufacturer or vehicle.

And that’s by no means a dig on Peter or BAC, I run plenty of parts from him and they’re awesome. But whether you buy everything from BAC, or buy stuff from BAC, DoctorDiff, Summit etc you’re getting parts from different manufacturers.

Last edited:
Yes, Cass is Dr. Diff. Not saying he doesn't redrill them, I wouldn't be surprised that people complain if they have to carefully slip them on. And tolerances might be that 4 out of 5 fit and one doesn't and by redrilling them he doesn't run the risk of someone posting bad comments on the internet. Could be he just hits them with a 5/8" bit to make sure they are opened up enough, too. Not sure. And Blu said he talked to Cass and that they aren't redrilled, so there is that too.

I'm just saying if the specs match reality, they should be very close to slipping right on. I would buy one locally and try it. If it doesn't work, returns are easy.

Hmm...something else I just thought of. If the knurl on the stud sticks out past the hub face, it could cause the rotor not to seat. I was only looking at the stud itself.
Yup, Makes sense. I Think they are the best fit of everything else I'm looking for so they are probably the best choice. Worst case re-drilling isn't that hard.

So I don’t have a picture of the rotor by itself on the hub but the Stage 4 rotors are not redrilled at all. They fit tight, so you do have to make sure they seat all the down on the hub, but they don’t need any opening up of the lug holes. With this size picture I’m not sure it will be obvious but in the original and of course in person it’s obvious that nothing is done to the CL500 rotors. The stage 3 rotors on the right are clearly redrilled from 5x4.75”

View attachment 1716284203

Not sure who this is directed at, but I haven’t had any issues with brake or suspension components either, everything from Cass at DoctorDiff has fit and worked exactly as advertised.

It’s not like BAC sells parts that are all from the same manufacturer or vehicle.
Well that is fantastic news! Glad I asked!

Sorry for taking over the thread.

I think he is just saying he didn't have to think about all this as BAC did all the legwork for him. Minus machining the hubs to fit his wheels anyways.

I think he is just saying he didn't have to think about all this as BAC did all the legwork for him. Minus machining the hubs to fit his wheels anyways.

I mean, I suppose.

Regardless of which brake kit you run and from whom you have to consider the wheel fit- that’s true for ALL aftermarket brake kits. I had my RPF1’s hub bore machined for the hubs, but that would be the case either way since the hubs have the same diameter with all of the kits mentioned so far (they may even be the same hubs).

I didn’t have to think about where the rotors came from either. I just like to know because if DoctorDiff stops selling a certain kit I want to be able to support pad and rotor changes down the road. I would do the same if I bought a kit from BAC.

I didn’t have to think about where the rotors came from either. I just like to know because if DoctorDiff stops selling a certain kit I want to be able to support pad and rotor changes down the road.

I think this is huge. Kits come and go, and if I plan to drive my car I don't want something exotic I have to struggle to replace. Unmodified parts make it so much more likely that I can find what I need if I need new ones.

I know I've been a little quiet lately. Lots of other things going on besides car stuff. Some may remember I killed an O2 sensor shortly after getting the hemi running. I replaced it and it worked fine for a very short time and that sensor failed. I didn't quite understand why since I had thousands of miles of trouble free service out of the same gauge and sensor. The only thing that changed was the bung. I replaced it when I redid the exhaust for the hemi. It turns out the bung I purchased was too short which was putting the sensor too deep into the pipe and I was cooking them. It was a 1/2" long bung. Some research showed me that Innovate Motorsports supplies a 1" bung with their kit. A quick call to them to confirmed my thinking. I had been wanting to upgrade to the dual sensor gauge so this was the right time to do it. Sticking with the same brand also allowed me to reuse the bezel that I painted.
o2 gauge.jpg

The sensor doesn't even protrude out of the 1" bung. Both sensors are now installed. I still need to go drive it to see how even they are. Installing this did require some additional wiring. The second sensor has its own controller and it sends the data to the gauge via CAN bus. That controller needed power and ground. The second sensor also has 2 analog outputs. I don't have any spare analog inputs on my ECU, otherwise I'd split the fuel tables and have 02 correction for each bank individually. Maybe one day I'll get an I/O extender.
I am interested to see if there are any major differences bank to bank.

I know I've been a little quiet lately. Lots of other things going on besides car stuff. Some may remember I killed an O2 sensor shortly after getting the hemi running. I replaced it and it worked fine for a very short time and that sensor failed. I didn't quite understand why since I had thousands of miles of trouble free service out of the same gauge and sensor. The only thing that changed was the bung. I replaced it when I redid the exhaust for the hemi. It turns out the bung I purchased was too short which was putting the sensor too deep into the pipe and I was cooking them. It was a 1/2" long bung. Some research showed me that Innovate Motorsports supplies a 1" bung with their kit. A quick call to them to confirmed my thinking. I had been wanting to upgrade to the dual sensor gauge so this was the right time to do it. Sticking with the same brand also allowed me to reuse the bezel that I painted.
View attachment 1716289264
The sensor doesn't even protrude out of the 1" bung. Both sensors are now installed. I still need to go drive it to see how even they are. Installing this did require some additional wiring. The second sensor has its own controller and it sends the data to the gauge via CAN bus. That controller needed power and ground. The second sensor also has 2 analog outputs. I don't have any spare analog inputs on my ECU, otherwise I'd split the fuel tables and have 02 correction for each bank individually. Maybe one day I'll get an I/O extender.
I am interested to see if there are any major differences bank to bank.
I'm no expert, but I think both banks are running a tad lean! :D

that's when you relax thinking there's lots of time and then you still end up rushing at the last minute :BangHead: neil.
Well, I do have some maintenance to do on my truck before I tow for 1200 miles. As for the car, the biggest thing to do is make an alignment adjustment/check. After that, its just pretty much nut and bolt check, and change the oil in the engine since I'm sure its broken in by now. We have a local autocross the weekend before Moparty. I usually tend to stay away from doing those so close to a planned out of town trip, but I haven't auto crossed since I fixed the power steering, so I think I'll go. That leaves me with 4 days to fix something if it breaks.

I think I may have forgotten to mention I changed fuel injectors recently. When I started to have wideband problems, I was questioning if I had an injector problem causing the lean spikes. The injectors in the hemi were the same ones I had in the LA, which were SRT4 injectors. I took them out and backwashed them with carb cleaner and nothing changed. (this was before I discovered the second failed O2 sensor) The SRT4 injectors don't have the extended tip like the early 5.7, but I rolled with them anyway.
I hated the thought of sending off those injectors for cleaning when they really aren't anything special. I think cleaning is around $20/ea. plus whatever shipping costs. I ended up finding some low mileage 6.4L take outs, which have the extended tip for less than what it would have cost to have those cleaned. Maybe it is placebo, but I feel like it idles much smoother. Could it be the extended tip? Could it be 20 years newer injector technology? Who knows. I'm just happy the engine is happy. The flow rate was around 2lbs/hr different so I did have to do some minor VE table adjustments.

Looking forward to your MoParty results. When will the DVD be out?

My last autocross before MoParty is scheduled for this Sunday, September 1st. Now that I adjusted my throttle cable and cut some insulation from under the pedal, my TPI is reading 94% open instead of 74%! So just maybe, I'll be able to keep up with Tim at the dragstrip, but be much more prone to spinning on the autocross. Not the worst problem to have

@HemiDenny , @DionR , @75slant6 , check this out! This is another Ride Tech product that come with their Mustang kits. It uses a S550 Mustang hub, so the bolt pattern is 5x4.5. They also have a caliper brackets that will allow the use of the S550 brake components. I'm not seeing these parts listed individually on their webpage, only included in kits. I kinda wish I would have found this earlier. This open options to use a factory Brembo caliper and have parts store availability for replacement parts.

View attachment 1716186738
So are you going to be trying out this setup?

So are you going to be trying out this setup?
I've really been thinking about trying the Ride Tech spindles for the GM A,B,&X body that accept the corvette hub and brake assembly. Since I already own the hubs and brakes, I would only need the spindles and steering arms. If I were to go with the Ford version, I'd have to get brakes, hubs, rotors, etc.
1725307329262.png

These look considerable taller than the spindles I have. The only unknowns are the taper for the ball joints, and the KPI angle. They aren't cheap and that's the only thing keeping me from trying them out. The good thing about the HDK is pretty much any spindle can be used since everything is adjustable and pretty much any size ball joint is available in a screw in Chrysler design. The other thing I like about these is the amount of different length steering arms available. Maybe I should just call ride Tech and ask them to sponsor me a set.

-
Back