1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
Stan, What length & diameter shaft do you need? I have several old ones & I'll give one to you if I have one that is close.

Bill S,

Thanks Bill, but they have already made the new one. It for an old style ball and trunnion front joint, so there is a conversion front flange u-joint deal and then set up for the 8 3/4 length. I really appreciate the offer, but I have it covered!

Can't make this up! Driveshaft came in the mail. They put it together backward. Rear u-joint on the front and trans flange on the rear. How does that happen?????
IMG_8914.JPG
IMG_8915.JPG

So I called the drive shaft shop and they told me that is the way they build them. They said it puts less stress on the transmission output shaft. Also said fords use the slip shaft on the rear end. So I just wish they had told me that was how they were going to put it together, I might have had them do it the other way. Oh well, if it works, they said it does, then I am good with it. And it doesn't hold me up another week on the driveshaft.

Header back from powdercoat. Here is a shot of the chassis, driveshaft and header installed. Getting there.
IMG_8919.JPG

So I called the drive shaft shop and they told me that is the way they build them. They said it puts less stress on the transmission output shaft. Also said fords use the slip shaft on the rear end. So I just wish they had told me that was how they were going to put it together, I might have had them do it the other way. Oh well, if it works, they said it does, then I am good with it. And it doesn't hold me up another week on the driveshaft.
They should have told you that was the way they were going to do it. If you're not happy with it they should fix it. I agree it should go the other way.

I guess they assumed I knew that was how they did it. I am fine with it, it's in and looks good. They stand behind the driveshaft and said it will last for years.

Thanks Wayne. I have that side trim you asked about and door trim also. You still want the fender stuff, both sides?

Thanks Wayne. I have that side trim you asked about and door trim also. You still want the fender stuff, both sides?
I sorted all my chrome out and the only piece that needs work is the drivers front fender. I took it to a guy to straiten and remove several dings. If it doesn’t come out good I’ll let you know. Looking forward to the warmth of Florida in another 9 days. I’ll let you know when I arrive.
Take care.
Wayne

Stan, Let me know when you plan to make the first Texas show. I really what to see the car up close.

Bill S.

Will do Bill, either Mopars at the Motorplex or the Garland Dallas Mopar Show in the fall. See you soon.
How was the swap meet this weekend?

Not too bad, heading back out today for the Sunday crowd. I hope the rain holds off until late this afternoon.

I wish I had some good pictures, but.... I don't!. Lots of good stuff done, just hard work at this point. Can't get the starter out with the 170 and the headers and the head pipes, need to get the battery cables attached so I slid it out a few inches to get some wiring ideas. Added the neutral starter switch wiring, got under the dash and fixed the ammeter to voltmeter connections, added a ground to the negative side, started installing the gas tank, wrung out the fuse box, etc, etc, etc. Started thinking about the engine start process, getting butterflies thinking about first crank! Fingers crossed.

Good luck with that first crank. Its always a tense couple minutes.
I aways like to have a couple other people to keep an eye on things and have a fire extinguisher in hand. I had a 1967 Z28 Camaro spring a gas leak one time and the extinguisher saved the day.

Still working on the wiring, I have the under hood wiring almost done. I found a good usable positive battery cable I think I can use on the mini starter. Had a couple of squirrely issues, but I think I have those under control. I am getting ready to but some voltage on the system and look for smoke!

Still working wiring, I hope to have the underhood done tomorrow. Here is the ECU, the battery harness and where I mounted that ugly horn under the battery tray.
IMG_8926.JPG
IMG_8927.JPG
IMG_8929.JPG
IMG_8932.JPG

Electrical checks done, just no dash lights. I know it's been at least 15 years since any juice ran through this old girl. Gas tank in. Getting closer.
IMG_8959.JPG
IMG_8962.JPG

Fuel lines, carb rebuild, ignition troubleshooting, so I installed the "optional dealer installed seatbelts".
IMG_8971.JPG
IMG_8972.JPG

Stan, It's getting closer & closer. I'm sure there is a herd of butterflies in your stomach as you anticipate firing it up & driving it for the first time.

Well I have to get that damn ignition fixed first. ECU is sparking constantly, with or without dist input! SO I got a great set of door locks from 65 Dartman, last part of outside trim!
IMG_8974.JPG

Ignition fixed. Carb rebuilt, had to make the base plate gasket to cover the outer set of mounting holes. Fuel line kind-a run, need a couple of clamps to position it correctly. Tomorrow might be the day.
IMG_8975.JPG

So, I was already to start it today, but Matt my son, could not come over to see it run. Matt helped me build the motor, I wanted him to be here when we make fire. Fixed the air cleaner, it didn't fit the carter I am running, and a bunch of other details. I did hook a battery up to the old girl and spun her over without plugs. The key, neutral safety switch, starter relay were all good and she spun with no issues. The new mini starter worked great, it was a relief to me to hear it turning over. He can come over Tuesday after work so that will be the day we try.
IMG_8978.JPG
IMG_8976.JPG
IMG_8977.JPG

-
Back