1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
Got my bigger secondary jets today. Went from 66s on the back to 70s. Haven't driven it yet. Kitty wants to go to the library tomorrow and we'll drive it then and see what's up. Like @MOPAROFFICIAL, I'm almost beginning to think this carburetor was a tad small. I just caint believe it, but that sure is what it's acting like. I wonder what the ported closed chamber head motor will want? A 600DP? I have one, so......

Took old Vixen to town and back today and I have to say I'm impressed at what the bigger secondary jets did. Now all it does is just pull stronger and stronger. I can't "feel" the secondaries open, but you dang sure know when they do.

Took old Vixen to town and back today and I have to say I'm impressed at what the bigger secondary jets did. Now all it does is just pull stronger and stronger. I can't "feel" the secondaries open, but you dang sure know when they do.
Is the carb setup with one Pv or two?
If only one of in primary, should not need more than 9 sizes bigger in the secondary.
What's the spread pri/sec?

Is the carb setup with one Pv or two?
If only one of in primary, should not need more than 9 sizes bigger in the secondary.
What's the spread pri/sec?

Yes, it has only one. I only went from 65 to 70 in the secondary. I also rechecked the idle vacuum today since I pulled 5 more degrees of timing in it. Now it has a tic over 6hg, like 6.2 or 6.2.....and it's more stable. Primary went from 55 to 59 and secondary went from 66 to 70. Both were the stock sizes before I changed them.

Now, I do have a strange anomaly. On occasion, when I start off, it will have a flat spot RIGHT off idle. Doesn't do it every time. Does it WAY less than it doesn't. My thinking was maybe it was PV related since I pulled the timing up. But after checking it today at just a tad over 6, I'm thinking the 3.5 PV is still the right one. Hell.....I've gone up with jet sizes.....I tried to go down on the pump shot from the stock .025 to a .018......I'm wondering now if it might not need a bigger pump shot as well.

I took a look at the accelerator pump cam in the daylight so I could SEE the thing. It's a pink cam and adjusted in the first hole. From what I've read, idling at "around" 1000 RPM needs to be in the #2 hole and it was in the #1 hole, so I mover it to the #2 hole. I also checked the pump sprAng adjustment and it was somehow WAY off. The nut was way too loose and depressing the pump arm about half way just sitting static. So I readjusted until I got "a little" slack with the throttle closed and then removed all the slack. It skeets gas as soon as I touch the throttle now and has a full pump shot. GOnna drive it into town in a little but and see if there's a difference.

Nice work, one question though. Are those titties hangin from your mirror? I expect nothing less.
:lol:

I took a look at the accelerator pump cam in the daylight so I could SEE the thing. It's a pink cam and adjusted in the first hole. From what I've read, idling at "around" 1000 RPM needs to be in the #2 hole and it was in the #1 hole, so I mover it to the #2 hole. I also checked the pump sprAng adjustment and it was somehow WAY off. The nut was way too loose and depressing the pump arm about half way just sitting static. So I readjusted until I got "a little" slack with the throttle closed and then removed all the slack. It skeets gas as soon as I touch the throttle now and has a full pump shot. GOnna drive it into town in a little but and see if there's a difference.
You want to make jumps of 2 jets at a time till you end up going back one size to the correct size you need, if so at all, maybe 2 more or less is money.
66.. should go to 68, then test

You want to make jumps of 2 jets at a time till you end up going back one size to the correct size you need, if so at all, maybe 2 more or less is money.
66.. should go to 68, then test

Not on my budget. lol

Excessively large jet sizes may be a sign that your fuel pump is not producing enough volume of fuel to keep the bowls full. The stock \6 fuel pump only produces 19gph which is perfectly adequate for 100hp and maybe a Holley 350.

Excessively large jet sizes may be a sign that your fuel pump is not producing enough volume of fuel to keep the bowls full. The stock \6 fuel pump only produces 19gph which is perfectly adequate for 100hp and maybe a Holley 350.

I don't know of a high flow mechanical fuel pump for a slant 6, do you? I "guess" I could get a big block hv pump and swap the arms out since other then that, they'll interchange. I don't think it's running out of fuel though. It would lay down on hard acceleration draining the float bowls and it's not doing that. At all.

Last edited:
I don't know of a high flow mechanical fuel pump for a slant 6, do you? I "guess" I could get a big block hv pump and swap the arms out since other then that, they'll interchange. I don't thing it's running out of fuel though. It would lay down on hard acceleration draining the float bowls and it's not doing that. At all.
And your plugs would show it.

I knew they would. You got your supa tunin goin on.

You wanna know supa tune? I'll tell you supa tune. I just moved the pump cam to hole #2. I put the screw in the #2 hole in the cam.....but I put it BACK in the #1 hole in the carburetor linkage. LMMFAO. Thing about it is, it ran very well......it had a really small flat spot at cruise on tip in. LOL I put it in the #2 hole on the linkage and through the #2 hole on the pump cam and readjusted, so it's right now. I haven't driven it yet. That's how my supa tunin goes. LOL

You wanna know supa tune? I'll tell you supa tune. I just moved the pump cam to hole #2. I put the screw in the #2 hole in the cam.....but I put it BACK in the #1 hole in the carburetor linkage. LMMFAO. Thing about it is, it ran very well......it had a really small flat spot at cruise on tip in. LOL I put it in the #2 hole on the linkage and through the #2 hole on the pump cam and readjusted, so it's right now. I haven't driven it yet. That's how my supa tunin goes. LOL
Hey man sometimes stickin it in the wrong hole works out.

I’ve done the same damn thing so many times I can’t count. The pump cams and holes on the linkage sometimes don’t line up and I think to myself I must be an idiot. Then I remember you have to move everything to a different hole.

I’ve done the same damn thing so many times I can’t count. The pump cams and holes on the linkage sometimes don’t line up and I think to myself I must be an idiot. Then I remember you have to move everything to a different hole.

Well, on this QFT, the holes in the linkage are not marked like they are on a Holley, so I'll defend myself "a little". lol

1 huh 1.gif

When I was in the Navy a couple of centuries ago, one enterprising sailor brought a stash of a certain kind of 8mm movies with him, found a place to play them while we were at sea for a small paying audience. One line in one of the movies was "wrong hole, wrong hole."

I don't know of a high flow mechanical fuel pump for a slant 6, do you? I "guess" I could get a big block hv pump and swap the arms out since other then that, they'll interchange. I don't think it's running out of fuel though. It would lay down on hard acceleration draining the float bowls and it's not doing that. At all.

I went the big block fuel pump route. I used a replacement hemi one. 33gph at 7psi. Good for 400hp. It introduced other problems. Primarily bending the tabs on the floats for a edelbrock 500 avs. My symptoms was the engine ran fine with the stock pump. When I was at the track, it would start to stumble at the top of second gear and never recover. So I kept jetting up until I couldn't go any further. The plugs always looked fine. Then I did the research to figure out why.

If you think your relatively middle engine needs to be jetted 6 jet sizes larger then what came with the carb. More power to you.

When I was in the Navy a couple of centuries ago, one enterprising sailor brought a stash of a certain kind of 8mm movies with him, found a place to play them while we were at sea for a small paying audience. One line in one of the movies was "wrong hole, wrong hole."

:rofl::rofl:

I went the big block fuel pump route. I used a replacement hemi one. 33gph at 7psi. Good for 400hp. It introduced other problems. Primarily bending the tabs on the floats for a edelbrock 500 avs. My symptoms was the engine ran fine with the stock pump. When I was at the track, it would start to stumble at the top of second gear and never recover. So I kept jetting up until I couldn't go any further. The plugs always looked fine. Then I did the research to figure out why.

If you think your relatively middle engine needs to be jetted 6 jet sizes larger then what came with the carb. More power to you.

Where'd you see 6 sizes? I went 4. On the primaries, it had what I call a "lean buck" with your big toe on the gas barely keeping it at cruise speed. If the stock pump caint keep up with that, there's something wrong with it. I know it's not the pump, because the jet change cleared it up.

Last edited:
-
Back