1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
I cannot STAND hoses and general "crap" running over the engine. I always like to run my heater hoses over on the inner fender. I got a couple of 90 hose bends and some aluminum connectors and clamped it all together. It looked like *** with all those worm gear clamps so I decided to try something different. I got some Gates heat shrink clamps. Never used them before. I put them on heated them with the heat gun and I cannot budge them with my big ole hands. They seem pretty strong. Course to get them off, you have to cut um. Big whoop. I did use worm clamps at the heater core, because it's so tight in there gettin the heat gun in there is all but impossible. I think it cleaned it up nice. Hopefully they will hold. I'm carryin around some screw clamps and two gallons of water til I know for sure. lol

DSCF1386.JPG
DSCF1385.JPG

Last edited:
That looks good! I really need to clean up all the hoses and wiring under my hood too. I went for function first, but now I need to go back and make it respectable!

Cley
20210618_112544.jpg

Got a new road trip video uploadin. I think next time we'll go with the vent windows closed as it picked up a lot of wind noise. You can still hear the car pretty good.

Running great Rob! Seems like you were just welding on the floor pan and now you're crusin' in style.

Did I hear you catch a little rubber in 2nd gear!

I am sorry for all the wind and road noise. The car really sounds strong. We will try it next time with the vent windows closed. I think that may have done it.

Great video....thanks for the ride! Here's an idea for a new one. Get Kitty to wait at the end of the driveway while you go down to the stop sign and turn around and come back. Let her video you doing a fly by runnin about 80 since the road is so straight right there. It'd be cool to hear Vixen go by with the buzzin half dozen sounding like a herd of Bumble Bees! :)

:thumbsup:

Great video....thanks for the ride! Here's an idea for a new one. Get Kitty to wait at the end of the driveway while you go down to the stop sign and turn around and come back. Let her video you doing a fly by runnin about 80 since the road is so straight right there. It'd be cool to hear Vixen go by with the buzzin half dozen sounding like a herd of Bumble Bees! :)

:thumbsup:

That's a good idea.

As requested, here is a video of it from behind goin down the road. All I WAS gonna do was just kinda take off quick, but it spun, so I said "hell wif it, see what it'll do". I know it's just teeny tiny little 13s but it wasted that right rear. and right into 2nd. It would have gone into third, but I didn't want to chance breakin somethin. I have no doubt it would have spun two just as hard. I'm gonna find out soon. lol I have another video of it just speedin by and a third where Kitty walks off the black mark. lol

Last edited:
Damn Sam!!!! Thats awesome!

It's cool we can hear you pulling back up to Kitty just when she finishes walking off the mark.

When you pulled the right tire off in the grass in the first video, I thought "No he ain't gonna do that?!?" :eek: The first 7 1/4 I ever busted, I pulled off the right side of the road, hammered it and cut hard left to spin around in the grass, do a bootleg and go the other way. Worked like charm till the tires caught the pavement! :realcrazy: I was 16, and you could still walk in the dealer parts dept. and buy spider gears!

When you pulled the right tire off in the grass in the first video, I thought "No he ain't gonna do that?!?" :eek: The first 7 1/4 I ever busted, I pulled off the right side of the road, hammered it and cut hard left to spin around in the grass, do a bootleg and go the other way. Worked like charm till the tires caught the pavement! :realcrazy: I was 16, and you could still walk in the dealer parts dept. and buy spider gears!

Yeah it honestly caught me by complete surprise. I wasn't trying to do it. All I wanted was a fast take off. When the right rear gave it up, I was like "screw it then". lol

The original 7 1/4 rear end in my 65 Barracuda survived 90,000 miles behind a Commando 273 and a four speed that I must have speed shifted hundreds of times. The replacement junkyard 7 1/4 lasted less than half that long. Then I switched to an 8 3/4.

So far (knock on wood) I've never torn up a 7 1/4 with a slant six.

I have an A body 8 3/4 to put in my 63 Valiant if the 7 1/4 ever tears up. So far it hasn't.

I had 4-5 spare 7 1/4 rears sitting around until maybe a year and a half ago, then said, Hell, I'm never gonna use these, and hauled them off for scrap, along with several tapered axle 8 3/4 rears. Them and other stuff was 2500 pounds and two pickup truck loads. Too bad scrap metal prices are so low these days.

I have an A body 8 3/4 to put in my 63 Valiant if the 7 1/4 ever tears up. So far it hasn't.

I had 4-5 spare 7 1/4 rears sitting around until maybe a year and a half ago, then said, Hell, I'm never gonna use these, and hauled them off for scrap, along with several tapered axle 8 3/4 rears. Them and other stuff was 2500 pounds and two pickup truck loads. Too bad scrap metal prices are so low these days.

Dammit. I wish you'd let me know. My brother in law lives in Havana. We go down a couple times a year. lol

Dammit. I wish you'd let me know. My brother in law lives in Havana. We go down a couple times a year. lol

Well I would have, but I didn't know you then. :rolleyes:

I do have a 65 Dart parts car that's pretty well been picked over. Can't remember if the rear end is still in it. Will check sometime in the next day or two.

If I end up with one in a parts car or from a swapout, I always try to give them away if someone is close enough to come get it. I took one out of a 70 Duster several years ago, and gave it to @/6 Matt. Dang thing ended up being like 3.55 gears...and gave some jump to his Dart Swinger!

If I end up with one in a parts car or from a swapout, I always try to give them away if someone is close enough to come get it. I took one out of a 70 Duster several years ago, and gave it to @/6 Matt. Dang thing ended up being like 3.55 gears...and gave some jump to his Dart Swinger!

That's badass. I love helpin people out. I've given Matt some parts before. He and his family are good people.

I've had a set of NOS 3.55 gears for a 7 1/4 for years, thinking I might use them someday, but eventually found out this particular gearset only fits 60 and 61 (ring gear bolts are smaller), so I can't use them.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you.

-
Back