1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Old picture in owner's manual shows '60-'62 (maybe -'63) jack. Don't think that type shipped with '65s.

Probably spare tire rightside-up with hook skewered on spindle underneath wheel.

If you put the hook under the wheel it would never be held in place and would rattle, bang and carry on something fierce as soon as the car hit the tiniest bump in the road. All of the stuff in the spare tire well has to be held down FIRMLY or you'll hear it all through the car. That's the purpose of the little spring with the loop. The loop fits over the center of the tire wrench which in turn is nested into the bracket at the side of the trunk floor. The wrench portion goes to the back and the bottom of the jack mast nestles in there as well. Then take the hook end of the little spring and put it into the bar with the spring on it that is above the slot in the mast for the hook. Flip the ratchet on the mast to "raise" and hand crank the ratchet up until everything is tight. Then to get it out, flip the ratchet down to "lower" and crank it back down to get the tension off the little spring. It all comes apart in reverse order.

Interior day is coming closer. Today I started to assemble the seat tracks for each seat. There is two different models. The silver zinc screws shall be up front of the tracks and the black phosphated nut w/washer shall the at the back. Now I just need to find out where it did put the black phosphated seat spring that goes between the seat tracks!!!!!:banghead:

The chromed seat cover protector is newly chromed and was in mint condition. The nuts w/lock washer has a special nut with two half circle rings.

I'm betting that those semi-circular marks on the nuts are either some sort of manufacturer's identification or they're an assembly aid for the process that attaches the toothed washer to the other side.

If you put the hook under the wheel it would never be held in place and would rattle, bang and carry on something fierce as soon as the car hit the tiniest bump in the road. All of the stuff in the spare tire well has to be held down FIRMLY or you'll hear it all through the car. That's the purpose of the little spring with the loop. The loop fits over the center of the tire wrench which in turn is nested into the bracket at the side of the trunk floor. The wrench portion goes to the back and the bottom of the jack mast nestles in there as well. Then take the hook end of the little spring and put it into the bar with the spring on it that is above the slot in the mast for the hook. Flip the ratchet on the mast to "raise" and hand crank the ratchet up until everything is tight. Then to get it out, flip the ratchet down to "lower" and crank it back down to get the tension off the little spring. It all comes apart in reverse order.

I think you nailed it Kevin! I will try to put all parts in that order to see how it works out. Re the Pictures in the owners manual the Picture of the bumper jack is taken inside a 65 Dart. However the Picture of the spare tire is taken from a Valiant. The reasón is simply that Dart had the trunk look on the trunk lid!!

Today a package arrived from US with restored parts with the right finish. The shifter will look like new. The only part that I haven't recieved yet is the shifter arm!! I know Don has one...! I even mounted the NOS back-up light switch. Even found out it was date coded too. Week 40 of 1964. Jackpot!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 708
  • 002.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 669
  • 003.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 004.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 710
I think you nailed it Kevin! I will try to put all parts in that order to see how it works out. Re the Pictures in the owners manual the Picture of the bumper jack is taken inside a 65 Dart. However the Picture of the spare tire is taken from a Valiant. The reasón is simply that Dart had the trunk look on the trunk lid!!

Today a package arrived from US with restored parts with the right finish. The shifter will look like new. The only part that I haven't recieved yet is the shifter arm!! I know Don has one...! I even mounted the NOS back-up light switch. Even found out it was date coded too. Week 40 of 1964. Jackpot!

For all of the parts you've acquired that are NOS and correctly dated coded that will never be seen once the car is together, are you taking pictures of these pieces as they go in? I know this is a bit late to bring this up, but you'll end up with the next best thing to the original assembly graphics books with what you've done, AND, it'll be better illustrated !

For all of the parts you've acquired that are NOS and correctly dated coded that will never be seen once the car is together, are you taking pictures of these pieces as they go in? I know this is a bit late to bring this up, but you'll end up with the next best thing to the original assembly graphics books with what you've done, AND, it'll be better illustrated !

Pics of all his work and parts is documented in this thread.....I'm sure Ulf has way more pictures than he posts :glasses7:

Pics of all his work and parts is documented in this thread.....I'm sure Ulf has way more pictures than he posts :glasses7:

Re all the date codes during this restoration everything is pictured. The reason is simply that I'm writing a reference manual for 1964-66 Dart manual for the future. It will be published through ICCA.

The number of pictures has now passed 6000!!!! I had to buy another memory for all the pictures.

After searching and finding a mint nice used air duct for the left side of the car I found out that someone during the cars lifetime mounted a turn signal relay on the air duct !!!!":banghead:

So after taken loose the gasket I wonder if someone repop the gaskets? I can't recall ever seeing someone do these gaskets. Somy question is if someone knows a vendor for these gaskets?

Thanks FABO

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 616
Should be thin dense closed-cell foam. See if DMT makes them (or will make them from your sample).

Thanks Dan! I will send him an email and ask if he does them.

Today was the re-arrange the spare wheel and bumper jack assembly day! After I asked you guys howthe bumper jack hook should be stored I have wondered, checked out pictures on the Internet and talked with several sourches. This is the only way I can come up with;

1. The tire was placed upside down.
2. Inside the wheel the bumper jack plate was stored at the bottom.
3. On top of the plate was the hook stored.
4. The masonite cover was placed on top of the tire.
5. The pressed center steel plate was placed in the center of the masonite and the small wing nut was added.

This is my thoughts about this way;

First of all the hook can't be stored on the bumper jack.

Second is that the plate can be stored under the upside down spare wheel but it can't be tightened down so it wouldn't rattle.

Third is that if the plate is stored at the bottom and the hook on top of it the bigger wing nut can\t be used. The rod is simply too short and there is no threads left for the wing nut.

Any comments or pictures would gladly be appriciated so this can be solved once and for all!

:coffee2:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 643
  • 005.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 599
  • 006.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 635
  • 008.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 631
  • 004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 611
  • 001.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 623
I have a hard time objecting to the way you've stacked up the spare tire/jack/cover plate parts. More specifically, I have a hard time imagining how to do it any better!

To continue this case and get to the bottom of it there might be a Product change that made this difference;

In 1964 Chrysler used a bumper jack with a built in hook. Using that in A-bodies was no issue. The only thing that needed to be stored with the spare Wheel was the bumper jack plate. Check out the picture.

When they changed the bumper jack to a new model with an external hook there was a need for more space in the recessed area where the spare Wheel is stored. Putting the spare Wheel up-side down and adding the plate in the bottom and then adding the hook meant that the large wing-nut could not be used. The rod is simply too short. Using a longer rod might have been the solution for this. But it cannot be too lolng cause otherwise it might come throug the trunk mat.

I will check into this and get back.

As always any one with info out there is very welcome with comments.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 595
On my way to work I stopped by my friend Johan who bought the 65 Dart 270 4 dr sedan from me. That's a one owner car and nothing (what I know of) has been changed.

We started out in his trunk to check out the posibility of placing the tire upside down and then add the plate and then the hook. But the big difference here is that Johans car has another hook compare what I have. He has a centered hole in it!!

That makes it possible to store the hook through the rod and that will also get the extra space. The issue with this is that the large wing-nut can't be used on top of the upside down hook.

Placing the bumper jack where it belongs makes problem too. It can't be stored with the hook in Place even if it's smaller. Where to add the spring?

To be continued........

Attachments

• domkraft 5.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 566
  • domkraft 4.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 733
  • domkraft 3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 557
  • domkraft 2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 570
  • domkraft 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 558
Today was the re-arrange the spare wheel and bumper jack assembly day! After I asked you guys howthe bumper jack hook should be stored I have wondered, checked out pictures on the Internet and talked with several sourches. This is the only way I can come up with;

1. The tire was placed upside down.
Agree.

2. Inside the wheel the bumper jack plate was stored at the bottom.
Agree.

3. On top of the plate was the hook stored.
Agree.

4. The masonite cover was placed on top of the tire.
Missed a step. The larger of the two wing nuts needs to go on first to clamp the tire, base and hook together.

THEN the masonite cover goes on.

5. The pressed center steel plate was placed in the center of the masonite and the small wing nut was added.
Yep, that's the final step.

This is my thoughts about this way;

First of all the hook can't be stored on the bumper jack.
Agree.

Second is that the plate can be stored under the upside down spare wheel but it can't be tightened down so it wouldn't rattle.
Yes, not meant to be there.

Third is that if the plate is stored at the bottom and the hook on top of it the bigger wing nut can\t be used. The rod is simply too short and there is no threads left for the wing nut.
Then you have the wrong rod. The rod should be long enough to accomodate the parts as you've indicated above including the larger wing nut below the masonite.

Any comments or pictures would gladly be appriciated so this can be solved once and for all!

:coffee2:
Ulf. See my comments mixed into your post above.

We started out in his trunk to check out the posibility of placing the tire upside down and then add the plate and then the hook. But the big difference here is that Johans car has another hook compare what I have. He has a centered hole in it!!

That makes it possible to store the hook through the rod and that will also get the extra space. The issue with this is that the large wing-nut can't be used on top of the upside down hook.

Placing the bumper jack where it belongs makes problem too. It can't be stored with the hook in Place even if it's smaller. Where to add the spring?

To be continued........

You should have a strap loop in the floor of the trunk ahead of the stamped receiver for the base of the mast and the jack handle/tire iron. Place the spring with the wound end through the jack handle shaft and slip the pointed end under the loop, slightly from the side to clear the stamped receiver. Then back the jack handle against the receiver. Place the base of the jack mast at the bend of the jack handle with the rounded edge of the mast facing the jack handle, and the flat face with the teeth on it against the receiver. Hook the end of the spring into the area below where the hook installs. There is a pin there in the mast ratchet, and a loosely wound wire spring. Flip the lever on the mast ratchet to raise, and manually operate the ratchet to raise it on the mast and create tension on the spring, which in turn pulls up on the jack handle.

attachment.php

I can see the loop in the floor for the jack handle but can't tell if you have the handle through it. The spring attaches to the part of the ratchet immediately above the strap in the picture.

I believe if someone has a '66 Dart owner's manual, the illustrations in there show it much better than the '65 manual.

Thanks Kevin for the comments. I think you are right but I have one question.

How does the large wing nut holds the tire, plate and the hook in place? I tried to add the large wing nut on top of the backside of the smaller hook but that seems wrong in a way. You can't twist the wing-nut at the end to torque it!!!

I was fortunate to find the same model of hook as my friend Johans car had so now that one is glass beaded and painted the correct gray color. Actually I bought that one from Don (65 dartman)

Any ides how to hold it all in place?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 566
  • 002.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 579
  • 003.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 577
If the hook were flipped (hook up instead of down) the wing nut could be tightened against it. Don't know if that's correct or not.

If the hook were flipped (hook up instead of down) the wing nut could be tightened against it. Don't know if that's correct or not.

Not me either!! I talked with Johan and he had an idea that the hook might have been on the bumper jack! In the picture you van see the two top bars on the backside of the hook, those two are the ones that connect to the jack. Could that set-up have used the 66-up spring? In that case the larger wing nut can be used holding the plate in place!

I wonder if 66dvert has some input?

Took pictures today inside my 65 Dodge Dart GT
Hope they are of value.

Attachments

• Jack_3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 556
  • Jack_2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 559
  • Jack_1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 552
Thanks Kevin for the comments. I think you are right but I have one question.

How does the large wing nut holds the tire, plate and the hook in place? I tried to add the large wing nut on top of the backside of the smaller hook but that seems wrong in a way. You can't twist the wing-nut at the end to torque it!!!

I was fortunate to find the same model of hook as my friend Johans car had so now that one is glass beaded and painted the correct gray color. Actually I bought that one from Don (65 dartman)

Any ides how to hold it all in place?

I would try turning the hook over. Get you a smoother surface to turn the big wing nut and should give you more threads to tighten it down. Either that or mount the hook on the ratchet and run the spring hook through the hole.

Took pictures today inside my 65 Dodge Dart GT
Hope they are of value.

In these pictures, the mast of the jack is upside down. Bring the ratchet and the hook down to the bottom of the mast, install the jack handle as I've described earlier with the lug nut end in the retainer, the spring on the jack itself and the other end of the jack into that strap on the floor. Tuck the base of the mast into the retaining bracket against the lug nut end of the wrench, hook the other end of the little spring through the hole in the hook and then cycle the ratchet up to tension the spring. Doing it this way only requires you having the jack base nested in the spare tire and will leave you plenty of threads for both wing nuts and the cover plate for the masonite.

In these pictures, the mast of the jack is upside down. Bring the ratchet and the hook down to the bottom of the mast, install the jack handle as I've described earlier with the lug nut end in the retainer, the spring on the jack itself and the other end of the jack into that strap on the floor. Tuck the base of the mast into the retaining bracket against the lug nut end of the wrench, hook the other end of the little spring through the hole in the hook and then cycle the ratchet up to tension the spring. Doing it this way only requires you having the jack base nested in the spare tire and will leave you plenty of threads for both wing nuts and the cover plate for the masonite.

Thanks Kevin!

After your answer I did some checking and it seems that this idea might work! The mast is wider on the lower side and the body does have a wider cut-out on the upper bracket where it will be resting. After adding the bar and the mast it seems to work. It even brings out the hole for the spring on the right side!!

Compare with the other ideaI think you nailed it Kevin!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 519
  • 004.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 514
  • 003.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 516
  • 002.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 528
Thanks Kevin!

After your answer I did some checking and it seems that this idea might work! The mast is wider on the lower side and the body does have a wider cut-out on the upper bracket where it will be resting. After adding the bar and the mast it seems to work. It even brings out the hole for the spring on the right side!!

Compare with the other ideaI think you nailed it Kevin!

I believe your bottom picture in the post is the correct orientation for everything. All you need now is the little spring that goes onto the jack handle and runs up to the ratchet of the mast. The ratchet control is in the "lower" orientation in the picture. Once you have the spring on, turn the control to "raise" and manually run the ratchet up until there's tension on the spring. I think that will also bring you up high enough that the hook will be tight against the fuel filler pipe, otherwise the hook will chatter and carry on while the car is in motion.

I believe your bottom picture in the post is the correct orientation for everything. All you need now is the little spring that goes onto the jack handle and runs up to the ratchet of the mast. The ratchet control is in the "lower" orientation in the picture. Once you have the spring on, turn the control to "raise" and manually run the ratchet up until there's tension on the spring. I think that will also bring you up high enough that the hook will be tight against the fuel filler pipe, otherwise the hook will chatter and carry on while the car is in motion.

Kevin! Do you mean the upper of the two pictures? That's the one with the rachet control underneath the bumper jack! It would make sense to hold that jack in place with the spring and hold it in place in the hole in the jack.

Unfortunately this spring is the only one that I know of that's being repopped. Anyone else seing the 1965 spring?

I was able to mount the last seat tracks on the passenger seat when a question showed up. When the staff at the assembly line was going to mount the seats was the seat back mounted to the seat at that time? Reason for asking is that it would be way easier to mount the seat without the seatback.

Next question is which way the seat springs should be mounted? The ones on my convertible is broken so I have nothing to compare with!:banghead:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 462
  • jack spring.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 007.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 006.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 452
-
Back