Throttle rod done, belly pan test fit and doghouse side panels ready to install

IMG_8283.jpeg
IMG_8284.jpeg
IMG_8285.jpeg
IMG_8286.jpeg
IMG_8287.jpeg
IMG_8288.jpeg

Jim, Looking great.
Something that you or the new owner will be glad to have is a coolant overflow tank. I mounted mine on the left, top inside of the doghouse side cover. Also, before it is installed, don't forget to have the exhaust pipe wrapped with insulation to protect the wiring and cables next to them and to help keep temps down inside the doghouse.

McMaster Carr for the save on correct’ish pins for the shifter cable. Tim got the driveshaft converted and it’s installed. NOS neutral/backup light switch solves all issues, lights work and only starts in P/N. Torque converter plate installed thanks to the generosity of members here. Jason Albano sent the rusty old V8 fan shield so I can make a CAD drawing of it then I can make one. Duster 727 transmission cooler lines will work. Just need the exhaust and it could be started. A 14” diameter, 2” drop aircleaner from a 1970 Z28 is a fail. Need to go back to the drawing board.

IMG_8307.jpeg
IMG_8308.jpeg
IMG_8310.jpeg
IMG_8311.jpeg
IMG_8312.jpeg
IMG_8313.jpeg
IMG_8314.jpeg
IMG_8315.jpeg
IMG_8316.jpeg
IMG_8317.jpeg

Technical issues aside, I'm utterly blown away with how gorgeous you make otherwise mundane parts look! You have a genius for detail, especially in the aesthetics department.

13 inch diameter filter, same as the stock mopar unsilenced air cleaners. What about the 273 Commando air cleaners, they are even smaller diameter? I think early slant 6 unsilenced air cleaners are the same diameter, but you would need to fabricate a base plate.

A member here has made 4 bbl. Base plates for the \6 air cleaner , I bought one from him years ago. I’d have to search for it ,it should be in the sent package. I’ll go look for it now .

Found it !
It came from M. Maloney out of Texas zip code 79606 back in July 2018 .

Made of steel stamping 1st pic top side , 2nd bottom side , 3rd side view .
One thing the inside diameter of the air filter needs to be 7 7/16" the stock /6 air filter is 6 3/8" . The height of the stock /6 air filter is 3" . The '66 /6 upper housing with PCV nipple will work with this new base and larger diameter filter . Seeing that I just found this faux pa I will have to search for a filter that will work with this set up .

IMG_1841.jpeg

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_1843.jpeg

IMG_1844.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

Last edited:
Jim, I have a four barrel air cleaner that came with my 65 Barracuda when I bought it. Base fits a Thermoquad/Holley/Edelbrock carb instead of the smaller 273 Carters. The top is from a Slant 6 and they modified it by adding 2 short snorkels onto it. If you can use any or all of it, let me know and I'll add pics tomorrow. Free if you can use it. I bought an NOS Chrome Unsilenced air cleaner for the Barracuda.

:thumbsup:

Moroso used to/may still make an offset air cleaner assembly. Good for clearing an HEI distributor. The base may have been similar to the Chevy L88 style drop-base air cleaner though.

Fan, shroud and radiator in for the last time. I checked 15 ways to make sure the fan was the right way around as I have no desire to pull this all apart again. Transmission cooler lines for a Duster needed to massaged a lot but they will work. Cut out the Sportsman door panel panels. I know I have a ton of door panel clips but I can’t find them of course. Lower radiator hose will be a combo of these two as this is a later style water pump and radiator made for a slant but does come out the correct side for a newer water pump. An original V8 radiator would have the nipple on the LH side for the pre 69 style waterpumps.

IMG_8326.jpeg
IMG_8327.jpeg
IMG_8328.jpeg
IMG_8329.jpeg
IMG_8330.jpeg
IMG_8331.jpeg
IMG_8332.jpeg

that fan looks like it's on backwards jim. when you mocked up in post 727, page 30 that's correct.
neil.

It is on the same way as that photo.

The LH side the top of the blade tips back and on the RH side it tips forward

Last edited:
-
Back