1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX

-
Stopped by the shop this morning to haul home the engine, bumpers, dash and a few other miscellaneous parts. Picture of the car from this morning. Each day it gets closer to coming home.

Attachments

• DSC03971.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,033
I'm following this build - can't wait to see the body all in color - you're doing a great job! Thanks for your updates.

George

Fresh Paint today

Attachments

• Fresh_Paint_#1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 933
  • Fresh_Paint_#2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 910
  • Fresh_Paint_#3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 909
  • Fresh_Paint_#4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 929
Pictures outside in the sun... with reflections of all the surroundings, and this is before cut and buff.

Attachments

• Fresh_Paint_#5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 930
  • Fresh_Paint_#6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 935
  • Fresh_Paint_#7.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 907
Wow what a difference form the patina look. It is turning out really nice.

That looks fantastic. Man what a difference! I think I actually like the color better in the booth. I imagine its one of those colors that is much more impressive in person.

That looks fantastic. Man what a difference! I think I actually like the color better in the booth. I imagine its one of those colors that is much more impressive in person.

Thanks, I think the camera settings are all messed up, it was tweaked to take a bunch of indoor pictures of the kids end of the year celebrations. A friend was with me yesterday and he took a few pictures.

Here, is this better?

Attachments

• WP_20140604_003.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 908
  • WP_20140604_002.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 902
  • WP_20140604_001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 910
Mike is in the middle of the wet sanding process. I stopped by the shop this morning, rolled it outside, bathed the car and squeegeed the bay in the shop where Mike had been wet sanding. Mike will probably finish sanding Monday and start buffing Tuesday. Car should be back home next weekend either way. Despite the way it looks it is very smooth. I was wearing a wash mitt and it was gliding across the car.

Attachments

• DSC04226s.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 878
  • DSC04230s.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 869
  • DSC04232s.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 878
After seeing it that shiny doesn't it kill you to take sandpaper to it. It does me every time even though you know it will be that much better when you are done

After seeing it that shiny doesn't it kill you to take sandpaper to it. It does me every time even though you know it will be that much better when you are done

One step back two forward... the whole process is like that. Every time it looks like the car is almost done you stop and go backwards before moving forward. In the process of fabricating and fitting everything you pretty much get the whole car assembled, then you take it apart to primer. Then slip the drivetrain back in to fit the panels, weld up the sub frame connectors and gap everything, then block, then pull the engine and all back out to paint it.

After they buff it I will take it home. First thing I will do is pull the front suspension back out.

Thanks, I think the camera settings are all messed up, it was tweaked to take a bunch of indoor pictures of the kids end of the year celebrations. A friend was with me yesterday and he took a few pictures.

Here, is this better?

Yes! I was tempted to go back to original GG1 on mine. I didn't, but it looks great on yours.

Who knew wet sanding could be so dangerous! Water Moccasin in case you can't make it out in the picture.

Attachments

• Water Moccasin.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 858
Stopped by at lunch time today. First pass with the buffer just about complete, two more pads to go. Car home this weekend?

Attachments

• DSC04279.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 800
  • DSC04278.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 812
  • DSC04277s.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 822
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love that shine....

Car is done. Coming home tomorrow for assembly!

Attachments

• Finished #10.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 797
  • Finished #09.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 782
  • Finished #03.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 794
  • Finished #01.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 788
Great feeling is it not!!!!!!

Looking great!

Home from paint at last! Let the assembly begin!

Attachments

• Garage 3 small.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 826
  • Garage 2 small.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 810
  • Garage 1 small.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 825
  • Home w Alec small.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 832
  • Home small.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 805
  • George Bush Tollway small.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 839
  • Leaving Wylie small.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 829
  • Loaded on Trailer small.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 854
Very cool, I am tearing mine down to get it ready for paint. One of these days I need to come by and take a look.

Alec and I finished the fuel tank install today. We will be tackling outside door handles after dinner and do some engine clean up.

One detail I want to share on this project today... I dislike nuts and bolts used together to attach things to the car, I always prefer captive hardware is possible. I also do not like using sheet metal screws for brackets.

I am surprised by how many of my coworkers had no idea what a Nutsert was, so, I am just sharing and showing you guys a few examples. So far the bolts attaching the latch support to the lower radiator support and the bolts attaching the fuel tank to the fuel tank frame in the trunk utilize Nutserts. All of these Nutserts went into frame sections. I also plan on adding Nutserts along the frame and a few other spots to install "Adel" style clamps or something similar for fuel line and battery cable routing.

Pictures attached are my lower radiator support, showing it "bare" without the latch support installed, and with the latch support installed during mock up a few months ago. I also have some pictures of installing the Nutserts in the trunk and the final installed picture for the fuel tank. Last, I threw in a picture of my fender tag, leaving one screw without paint is kind of my attempt at humor since this is far from an OE restoration...

Just out of curiosity I used the web fender tag decode at http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85, this is what I got:

CAR: Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: May 17.
AXLE: 2.76 Rear Axle Ratio
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Racing Green Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
R1: AM Radio
W9: Unknown Option

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
w6: Build to Spec's for Canada

Anyone know what the "W9" option is? Maybe the type of hubcap? I imagine the "23" code for tires is small by narrow. All the options listed are consistent with what I know from owning the car since 1988. Basic entry level car with a V8, console and buckets. Build to Spec's for Canada? I know the car was sold in Carlsbad, NM, and you can not get much farther from Canada than that really.

Attachments

• Tank Installed.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 698
  • Ready for Tank.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 683
  • Nutserts Installed.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 655
  • Nutsert Installation.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 666
  • Nutsert on Tool.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 658
  • In Progress.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 673
  • Drilled Holes.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 664
  • Latch Support.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 669
  • Lower Radiator Brace.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 691
  • Fender Tag.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 674
Looking real good Michael, good Idea using Nutserts...If I ever get a painted car back I'll be using those here and there also.

-
Back