1968 Barracuda Notch - Plano, TX

-
I would go over the pump to eliminate more idlers, however, the clean look would be pretty cool... and different....

OK, been thinking about how I am going to do a remote filter, oil cooler and an Accusump. It is a lot of hardware and plumbing. So, do not want to buy things that won't fit, so I made some mockups.

The Accusump I'm looking at is 4-1/4" x 16". I just happen to have a 4-1/4" by 20" tube that a print came in. And, for the oil cooler I cut up a box I had laying around and made a "box" the same size as the cooler. I put a 3/4" spacer between the "oil cooler" and the radiator. First picture is looking up from the driver's side. The two oil cooler fittings would be on the top and bottom facing us.
View attachment 1715512095

And here is a picture looking up from the passenger side.
View attachment 1715512096

View from the front at bumper level. Can't see the Accusump at all, you would be able to see parts of the oil cooler below the bumper and through the grill.
View attachment 1715512097

Looking up from ground level. I would center the Accusump, but the tube is kind of wedged in there and held up by duct tape...
View attachment 1715512098

Here is where I would put the remote filter adapter. The wipe container is about the same diameter as the filter and a few inches taller than the whole assembly. I would make a bracket that it bolts to that attaches to the bumper bracket or to the battery tray bolts above. I would also make a removable rock shield for it.
View attachment 1715512099

Looking up. The plumbing to the oil cooler would be short, maybe 12" since it is right next to the bumper bracket. You would be able to change the filter from the wheel well. Nothing below the filter for oil to drip on.
View attachment 1715512100

Different angle, since this is a 440, the oil filter is right there on this side and about 8" away. Lines from the pump to the filter housing would be about 12".
View attachment 1715512101

View looking through the valance opening from the front, it will be a very short run from here to the cooler. I can put a low pressure flap style check valve on the inlet side of the cooler to keep it from draining back and making a mess when swapping the filter since most of the cooler would be higher than the filter housing, it would also help prevent drain back when the engine is shut off.
View attachment 1715512102

In the pics that have the front spoiler in them; is that the camaro spoiler /
Been wondering about fitting one to the roundish barracuda front pan ----------bob

In the pics that have the front spoiler in them; is that the camaro spoiler /
Been wondering about fitting one to the roundish barracuda front pan ----------bob

Bob, it is made by Spoilers by Randy. I called him when my car was being painted because the guy who owned the shop wanted to buy three Camaro spoilers and if I bought them he would credit me the cost of the three plus shipping to my account. So I would get shipping free. But Randy did not have one listed for our cars. I talked to Randy and he had just made the first one and gave me a discount because it wasn’t listed and mine was #2.

https://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/67-69-barracuda

Bob, it is made by Spoilers by Randy. I called him when my car was being painted because the guy who owned the shop wanted to buy three Camaro spoilers and if I bought them he would credit me the cost of the three plus shipping to my account. So I would get shipping free. But Randy did not have one listed for our cars. I talked to Randy and he had just made the first one and gave me a discount because it wasn’t listed and mine was #2.

https://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/67-69-barracuda

I have been in touch w/ randy, but the cost and the fact that I might bend it on a curb , messing up the front , has got me thinking plastic.
A lot of guys are using the camao spoiler cause its so cheap. I have been wondering how it would fit the rounded splash pan of our fishes, sisnce it is not rounded in pics.-------thanks, bob

I decided that tensioner was not going to work. And here is version 4.0.

First - sketch full scale on MDF.
version 4 sketch.jpg

And then jigsaw:
version 4 picture 01.jpg

Test fit alternator, AC compressor, and PS pump. Version 4.1 is coming, need to move the AC compressor up about 1/2":
version 4 picture 03.jpg

Here is a mockup of the new tensioner:
version 4 idler.jpg

This version appears to have two idler pulleys?

Two or three... four if you count the tensioner. I have not decided yet if I will leave the span between the alternator and PS pump as is.

The tensioner pulls the belt up between the crank and the AC. Then the idler between the AC and alternator. Then the second idler between the PS pump and the crank. Result is more than 180 degree wrap on the AC, alternator, and PS pump. Wrap around on the crank pulley wont be quite 180.

One step closer... modified front bracket to move AC up, started on rear bracket.

C21B2B5D-59C1-4C79-B961-1B43F9B15999.jpeg

Plenty of space between the alternator and AC for the AC hoses.
54B744E5-0D93-45A7-8DDC-A505816EF2AC.jpeg

6864A36A-085C-43FE-867C-224007E5B0F4.jpeg

Accessing hose connections will be easy, especially if you unbolt the left side alternator bolt and swing the alternator clockwise.
06962E08-172F-4ADC-B639-AB1A5F93E0BE.jpeg

Belt routing between AC and Alternator
A7F714E0-E36D-49ED-B5E6-4F9DF240C51C.jpeg

Last edited:
A few minutes out in the garage this evening. Taught my daughter how to use the jigsaw with the scroll blade. Cut the final mounting plate piece for the tensioner.

First pair of pictures show where tensioner would be as installed with no tension:
IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

Second pair of pictures show the position you would move it to to slip the belt on. The difference in belt length is over 2":

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

View from backside:
IMG_3578.JPG

The bolts, nuts, spacers and other hardware are just temporary for mockup.
Here is the tensioner mounting plate:
IMG_3576.JPG

Plenty of room for AC lines:
IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

I love the design; by keeping the accessories below the valve cover plane, the eyes are drawn to the engine....
Yep, and don't want anything in front of the intake. With the large radiator, fan and shroud most everything below the top of the water pump pretty much disappears.

DSC08492s.jpg

DAMN time fly's in this Corona time...It's OCTOBER already? LOL

My sd card on the camera was full so I reformatted it. I didn't think to turn the date impression off. Tenth day, seventh month. (So busy here I wouldn't be surprised if it was October already lol!)

I can't wait to see the stuff bolted on Mike!! Your car is definitely one for the record books! Thank you soooo much for letting me have a hand in it, for being awesome to work with, and for keeping another beloved Barracuda on the road!

My sd card on the camera was full so I reformatted it. I didn't think to turn the date impression off. Tenth day, seventh month. (So busy here I wouldn't be surprised if it was October already lol!)

I can't wait to see the stuff bolted on Mike!! Your car is definitely one for the record books! Thank you soooo much for letting me have a hand in it, for being awesome to work with, and for keeping another beloved Barracuda on the road!

I was just kidding, you do great work...this coming from the greatest lurker of the site! LOL

Great job @CudaChick1968 as always.
Isn't that Weiand intake something special!?!
I know it wouldn't let me rest until I had one!
@mosleyme Any ballpark on when you may fire up that engine?
Did F&B do the injector bosses?
BEAUTIFUL parts there, for one of the best "put together" rides I've seen!

FedEx arrived today. Intake and valve covers back from powder coating. Had “lunch” in the garage.

E5ACF270-57AC-4B94-A1A6-AA5E2139ED83.jpeg

B535F782-F768-4507-BAD1-A882B5EFF89B.jpeg
BA9E5FFD-728C-43C7-8880-BA34961225B3.jpeg

E2712C84-A868-4646-BB7F-E9B6DCF67228.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back