318 build suggestions?

-
I’m leaning towards the TF’s, on the assumption that if I want to build a different small block down the road someday then I can just transfer the heads over.
That's why i bought them... it's an investment into future builds.. my 318 was supposed to be temporary..

BTW.. get a chinese intake.. don't buy a edelbrock..

BTW.. if you are going to go with that 318 your buddy has do the compression math first, Zero deck and the TF's are 60cc (i don't think they make a bigger chamber) you might be higher than you want in compression depending on the gaskets used

when all people care about is a number, a lot gets left on the table.

having built exactly that 400hp 318 and comparable 360 builds to those other articles, i'll tell you that the difference in the car, in practical application, is stark.
Stark is a great way to describe the difference, but there really is NO comparison to a 318 with a ton of $$$ dumped into it VS the same level of built 360. Never driven a 318 at any level that had near the roll-on part throttle TQ of a strong 360. IRL the 360 wins every-single-time. J.Rob

Stark is a great way to describe the difference, but there really is NO comparison to a 318 with a ton of $$$ dumped into it VS the same level of built 360. Never driven a 318 at any level that had near the roll-on part throttle TQ of a strong 360. IRL the 360 wins every-single-time. J.Rob
exactly.

and yeah, you can play with the gearing, or carb, or tune, chasing that elusive dragon but usually all you get is something with a peaky, narrow power band that you're always wringing its neck and banging gears around looking for that sweet spot.

the only thing that i've built that was close was a super mild 318 for a friend's 4wd truck. true 9:1 compression, small valve heads with a pocket port, matched to a weiand action plus with a q-jet. the cam was either a crower baja beast or an erson. it was on 30's with 4.11's and it would absolutely light them up, but the real magic was that 20~30mph roll on and when the 2ndaries cranked open it was hard to contain a smile. however, it was all done by 5K, and if we're being honest it was more like she was outta steam by 45. it was fun, but after spinning a bearing we replaced it with a similar spec 360 that would've absolutely wiped the floor with it.

Start a thread in Small Block with all those links and I'll make it a sticky then shut it off so we don't get a lott of 360 crap.
Why dump the money into a 318 just to prove something...? the 360 crap is viable information . I've seen it more than alot a guy builds the 318 has money invested in it tries to unload it for a 360 no one wants to pay for the 318. This needs to be said and if the guy/gal building the 318 says money is no object then what's the problem with building a 360?:thumbsup:

I only speak for myself but i did it just for fun and to see how it will go :) I don't need massive power and the 318 i got was stupid cheap.. and delivered.. which worked for me:)

Why dump the money into a 318 just to prove something...? the 360 crap is viable information . I've seen it more than alot a guy builds the 318 has money invested in it tries to unload it for a 360 no one wants to pay for the 318. This needs to be said and if the guy/gal building the 318 says money is no object then what's the problem with building a 360?:thumbsup:
My point was, everytime there is a 318 thread, the Teen haters come out of the woodwork. Geez, leave the guys alone. Let them build a 318 if they want.

My point was, everytime there is a 318 thread, the Teen haters come out of the woodwork. Geez, leave the guys alone. Let them build a 318 if they want.
Your sig says you have a 273....... are you even qualified to post here? :) It is weird though.. i never see hatred in the 273 posts..

Your sig says you have a 273....... are you even qualified to post here? :) It is weird though.. i never see hatred in the 273 posts..
Exactly. The slant 6 guys get more respect than the 318 guys do. May be with the 273's they get a little respect because of the 4 barrel version putting 5 more horse than a 318. Build a 360. I don't care, just give a little respect to those that don't.

You guys always strawman the the argument, no one arguing the 318 superior, just if the OP decides he wants a 400 hp 318 and not a 360 then that goal, if he decides a 360 or whatever that's the goal.

Ultimately I could care less what engine someone wants to build, the goal is to help them accomplish what they want not what you want. We shouldn't have to keep having this argument.

It's nice to see a 400hp goal though.. i swear every guy i knew in the 80s with a stock 440 and a pair of headers would claim they made 500hp.... every single time..

No ones arguing that displacement especially for a street car and especially since most think 3.55 are deep gears, makes more sense.

my comments were based on the fact he was offered a 318 short block, which he asked what it was worth. so he did'nt at that point have any motor for his 400hp goal. on that basis a 360 would be more reliable/flexible and easier to build to that hp goal.
as i also said i've had a few 318's, 360's are harder to find here in the uk. they are available to the op so the convenience of his mate's offer seems the only reason to go 318. if i were to build a 318 from scratch here in the uk i'd use a 4" stroker kit to get me a 390.

my comments were based on the fact he was offered a 318 short block, which he asked what it was worth. so he did'nt at that point have any motor for his 400hp goal. on that basis a 360 would be more reliable/flexible and easier to build to that hp goal.
as i also said i've had a few 318's, 360's are harder to find here in the uk. they are available to the op so the convenience of his mate's offer seems the only reason to go 318. if i were to build a 318 from scratch here in the uk i'd use a 4" stroker kit to get me a 390.
360s aren't super easy here anymore either.. locally at least guys are asking stupid money for them, every now and then a deal comes up though.. And i am interested in making a 390 out of my 318 far int he future if i keep my car :)

You guys always strawman the the argument, no one arguing the 318 superior, just if the OP decides he wants a 400 hp 318 and not a 360 then that goal, if he decides a 360 or whatever that's the goal.

Ultimately I could care less what engine someone wants to build, the goal is to help them accomplish what they want not what you want. We shouldn't have to keep having this argument.
That's just it, Guys like us telling him not to invest a pile of $$$ into a teen DO CARE. We're trying to prevent an expensive mistake is all. Its just some friendly free advice that is exactly whatever its worth to the OP. I won't and don't harp on it. J.Rob

There nothing wrong with pointing that out to the OP, and we'll see what he chooses, but some will beat the 360 drum to death even after if the OP decide on 318.

360s aren't super easy here anymore either.. locally at least guys are asking stupid money for them, every now and then a deal comes up though.. And i am interested in making a 390 out of my 318 far int he future if i keep my car
with the added cost of a 360 starting point it almost makes sense to build a 318 stroker and use the savings made on the motor cost to put towards good heads. win, win, more cubes and savings on the heads to feed them.

I think it all depends on the 318... if his buddy is gonna basically give it to him.. and the zero deck isn't an issue for compression... run it :) If he wants $500 for it.... i would find something else.. but i'm cheap

That's just it, Guys like us telling him not to invest a pile of $$$ into a teen DO CARE. We're trying to prevent an expensive mistake is all. Its just some friendly free advice that is exactly whatever its worth to the OP.
I get why and don't necessarily disagree, 360 generally makes the most sense, and nothing wrong bringing it to the OP's attention especially if they don't seem to know.
I won't and don't harp on it. J.Rob
I know you don't, but there's the same 3 or 4 guy's that won't stop even once it clear that a 318 is what the OP wants and is aware of the con's.

That's just it, Guys like us telling him not to invest a pile of $$$ into a teen DO CARE. We're trying to prevent an expensive mistake is all. Its just some friendly free advice that is exactly whatever its worth to the OP. I won't and don't harp on it. J.Rob
I agree but then they try and force us out like we are trouble makers. The fact is a guy building a 318 if he has any common sense at all will run into the speed bumps and road blocks in a 318 that are just expensive to overcome. I was there as a young man,had a 318 or three then learned of the 340/360. I have been fortunate to have been into all of them at some point. the best guys are the ones who see the 318 has the same crank dimensions and think it can be turned into a 340. Once you tear a 318 down and a 340 and you know the internal differences its night and day. 340 is loaded with "the good stuff". Truth is there is only so much that can be done with a 318 and only so much should be spent. Don't go past a certain point because it becomes not cost effective. Ay some point its like they are trying to prove something that if it could be done would have been done already 40 years ago in the 80s...318 is a good motor for a street car that doesn't go above 5000 rpm its not worth doing much more than a standard rebuild for standard service...money wise. I have said my piece and I too shall bow out now...:)

Sometimes I question what some guys post about 318’s. It’s silly.

The first thing out of their mouths is “you got to zip a 318 to the moon to make any power” and frankly that’s horse ****.

Guys will take a 360 and make it zero deck blah blah blah. But if you say you can do that to a 318 you’ll have to pimp your wife and enslave your kids.

It’s far from reality. And if that is your reality go find a new hobby.

Checkers is cheap and easy.

No ones arguing that displacement especially for a street car and especially since most think 3.55 are deep gears, makes more sense.
I ARGUE THAT.

Have you ever built a 318? Or a 340?

They don’t require any more rpm than a 360 to make power.

With the same heads the 360 will Peter out while the other two can go higher. Not that much higher though.

Let’s say the 360 is done by 5k the other two will be 300-400 rpm higher. If 5400 breaks your bank and mind then go race a Prius.

It’s time to get to realville.

RPM is your friend and if you ignore the flat earthers (no offense intended or implied to AJ because I know that’s one of his beliefs and that’s not a flaming arrow into him) and chicken little wannabes.

It IS the replacement for displacement if you understand the internal combustion engine.

One of the main arguments that bugs is the overselling the 318's weakness, like it's gonna need some exotic parts, a crazy combination to make hp, which is what probably started this whole debate when I said a 318 gonna need similar parts as a 340/360 to make 400 hp.

They oversell the weakness and strawman people's arguments for the 318, just be honest.

Just like Dartswinger70 acts like if you don't brow beat anyone wanting to hop up a 318 into submission, it's cause were all in a Uncle Tony 318 cult that's trying to convert people to the glory of the 318 and how were deluded in thinking it superior to any other engine, and that were calling him a heretic for him trying to save us from the clutches of the Uncle Tony's 318 cult.

-
Back