4-bar / back half the HemiDenny / HDK way

-
In my spare (cough / cough) time this spring I did a little B-body / Road Runner restoration. It started out as "sell me a HDK to install a 440" but immediately turned into me rebuilding this bird for a Hellcrate / HDK / Strange S-60.

replaced the drivers side front frame rail, shock mount, inner fender, firewall, floor up to where the trunk attaches. And since we had the grinder out I added new AMD 3" plus inner wheel tubs and the US tool leaf springs on frame rail modification. After a couple of months of long afternoons, I dropped it off at Boutwells (only 3 miles down the road) and they got the it ready for final paint including seam sealer.

I will do a entire driveline mock up and re-install the dash before sending it back to Boutwells for paint in the engine bay and trunk.

Gets a new Strange S-60 / tru-trac / 3:54 gear. Just forgot to get a picture

20230721_152818.jpg

20230721_152814.jpg

20230721_152835.jpg

20230721_152953.jpg

20230721_152945.jpg

Last edited:
Any chance you plan on turning this into a kit available for purchase Denny?

I could make a sweet kit. I never seem to run out of ideas and projects...along with building / shipping several K packages a week and not enough time.

Good thing I'm only 68.

I could make a sweet kit. I never seem to run out of ideas and projects...along with building / shipping several K packages a week and not enough time.

Good thing I'm only 68.
So when can I place the order hahaha would be sweet with the front end from you I got waiting to go in the car. Love the way this project is sitting.

Last edited:
widening out the tubs 4" and adding to the back half...after a little TLC @ the Boutwell Customs / Findlay, OH

20231204_152532.jpg

20231213_141209.jpg

20231213_143322.jpg

20231204_143610.jpg

Nice work, slow and methodical, with a plan always wins.

The customer ask me to justify the billed amount of time in the fabrication. I told him it takes that long because he left no money in his budget to do them over again.

Looks great, as always! AMD is now making 3" wider inner wheel house for B & E body cars, so maybe if we get lucky, A bodies won't be far behind.

Looks great, as always! AMD is now making 3" wider inner wheel house for B & E body cars, so maybe if we get lucky, A bodies won't be far behind.

Thanks, Yes, I used the AMD on a Road Runner (scroll up / post 52). The owner of this Dart brought along the US Car / tool kit but we wanted more width than the few inches that they afforded.....so we built these.

Those AMD B/E body 3" wider tubs are the nuts!

Looks like some great fab work! I wish I was half as good.

Looks like some great fab work! I wish I was half as good.

Me too....I'm just an idea on a cocktail napkin guy. The weld and fab guy (HDK sub contractor) is Mark aka Fog. I just sold my rental house and HDK shop on the other side of town and inked a deal for a new larger building 60 feet across the driveway from Fogs shop. The new building will shared and in partnership with Fog. How convenient!

Last edited:
thanks....I like to call it "stockish"
You know I like to make whatever I modify "appear" stockish. Big fan of they look of this thing already. I assume you will make the new trunk pan appear stock, without the tire well of course. I don't think people realize the amount of work that goes into making things look right as opposed to just using some pre-fab sheet metal tubs and flat sheet on the whole floor. Oh and don't forget just throwing a plastic tank in the trunk. All that work for things most will never see or notice. Then there's the guys that will notice and be inspired. Great work as usual Denny. Wish I lived closer, you would have to kick me out of the shop. Or you could just bring me a hotdog and a cold beer and I'd keep working...

You know I like to make whatever I modify "appear" stockish. Big fan of they look of this thing already. I assume you will make the new trunk pan appear stock, without the tire well of course. I don't think people realize the amount of work that goes into making things look right as opposed to just using some pre-fab sheet metal tubs and flat sheet on the whole floor. Oh and don't forget just throwing a plastic tank in the trunk. All that work for things most will never see or notice. Then there's the guys that will notice and be inspired. Great work as usual Denny. Wish I lived closer, you would have to kick me out of the shop. Or you could just bring me a hotdog and a cold beer and I'd keep working...

We would be a team. When I retire I would like to spend a few of the winter months a year in the warmer climates, not so much Florida but maybe the L.A. (lower Alabama) area. Of course I gotta get a job before I can think about retiring.

the tapped hole on the bottom of the frame rail is for a Energy Suspension bump stop......something to jack on without messing up the finish. It's all about the details.

20231218_143259.jpg

Just curious...."about" how big a tire will this allow?

-
Back