4-bar / back half the HemiDenny / HDK way

-
315/35ZR20 on rear with 12" rim. I will have to do a small little trim / re-lip at the very front / bottom of the tire opening.

20230621_144626.jpg

Last edited:
customer already had the wheels and tires and was hoping a "mini tub" would work.....sure. And of course he wanted a 4-bar too.

Congrats on new shop. One of the previous posts nailed it. Your work inspires many of us. Just beautiful. Our shop is not in Alabama but we are in Arkansas. Shop has a two bedroom fully furnished apartment above it. You guys would be welcome to crash there anytime. Cost ya a cold beer!

Preaching to the choir here as I know you already know. Cut off wheel slashes always and I mean always get infected I don’t care how well you take care of it! Ask me how i know! Keep it clean and keep it protected and medicated. All you can do is keep the infection minimal. I think the abrasive nature just impregnates the soft tissue with the debris from wheel and material. Hope you are well good Sir!
I keep multiple bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide around the shop as the immediate first response for any cuts, and later after a thorough area washing and later if any infection starts besides other dressings appropriate for the wound.

I keep multiple bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide around the shop as the immediate first response for any cuts, and later after a thorough area washing and later if any infection starts besides other dressings appropriate for the wound.

really??..... Usually we just rub some dirt on em and if they continues to bleed, make a few good laps around the wound with 2" wide (blue) masking tape, sicky side out so it doesn't later pull off any scabs.

really??..... Usually we just rub some dirt on em and if they continues to bleed, make a few good laps around the wound with 2" wide (blue) masking tape, sicky side out so it doesn't later pull off any scabs.
My budgets do not allow for personal use of blue masking tape, it must be nice.

nice build and great work denny , but why a round tube sub frame connectors ? wouldn't square or rectangle tubing be stronger ?

nice build and great work denny , but why a round tube sub frame connectors ? wouldn't square or rectangle tubing be stronger ?

square or rectangle tubing would have more to offer if you are trying to bend it in half..... but that is not what I feel is the function of the connectors. I am looking to control / stop torsional twist.

round tubing allows welding the top portion of the tube to the chassis which gets difficult to do with a flat piece close to the floor.

I used 2 x 3 rectangular on my silver Duster, US Car and Tool connectors (not a fan) on a customers Hemi Dart, then I noticed the 1-5/8" chromoly tubing on the Butch Leal Modified Hemi Duster with hundreds of high rev / HP launches with sticky big slicks and the body remains perfect. So I replicated it on his street Duster and two current projects, this Dart and a Hellcat Road Runner.

Butch's street Duster pictured.

20200803_103109 (1).jpg

square or rectangle tubing would have more to offer if you are trying to bend it in half..... but that is not what I feel is the function of the connectors. I am looking to control / stop torsional twist.

round tubing allows welding the top portion of the tube to the chassis which gets difficult to do with a flat piece close to the floor.

I used 2 x 3 rectangular on my silver Duster, US Car and Tool connectors (not a fan) on a customers Hemi Dart, then I noticed the 1-5/8" chromoly tubing on the Butch Leal Modified Hemi Duster with hundreds of high rev / HP launches with sticky big slicks and the body remains perfect. So I replicated it on his street Duster and two current projects, this Dart and a Hellcat Road Runner.

Butch's street Duster pictured.

View attachment 1716197660
Side bar, I own and operate a Firearms training center, as such I always stress to our students the importance of asking why. in this way, hopefully forcing them to think and validate why they do something vs just blindly following like a sheep. @HemiDenny answer drives home the equally important aspect of constantly reminding our instructors to be prepared to answer the”Why” question. Thanks Denny for taking the time to answer the question and providing just a great response. We have all watched you over the-years take beating after beating on this or that, I love the fact this thread has not dissolved onto that. Great work guy! And yes your front end is still intact on our race car in spite of my valiant efforts to tear it up!

Are my eyes deceiving me or is there a slight bend in that tube? I tacked in one side of my 2x3 frame connectors but I have 10' of 1-5/8 .120 that I was thinking of using instead.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is there a slight bend in that tube? I tacked in one side of my 2x3 frame connectors but I have 10' of 1-5/8 .120 that I was thinking of using instead.
good eye...on this one, the 1-5/8 did get a slight bed on each side...as I remember, it was two-fold, floor clearance and to make it possible to tigg the very upper areas

Side bar, I own and operate a Firearms training center, as such I always stress to our students the importance of asking why. in this way, hopefully forcing them to think and validate why they do something vs just blindly following like a sheep. @HemiDenny answer drives home the equally important aspect of constantly reminding our instructors to be prepared to answer the”Why” question. Thanks Denny for taking the time to answer the question and providing just a great response. We have all watched you over the-years take beating after beating on this or that, I love the fact this thread has not dissolved onto that. Great work guy! And yes your front end is still intact on our race car in spite of my valiant efforts to tear it up!

beating????? lol I enjoy 99% of what I like to call spirited conversation. Makes me either want to re-think my position or laugh harder.....my call. :)

Last edited:
@HemiDenny , good to know . so i'm thinking i've got a mess odd lengths of oval (2x1x3/16 w) chrommoly tubing i'm going to be using for sub frame connectors . first on the list will be my 64 cuda i'm in a 340 6 pck build with an a833 car , 8 3/4 re , kh disc nose . i'm using vintage t70 american on the front and 8 steel rears i've made some for a few a bodies so far .

while in mock up the 6.4 / 8HP70 fit with a 2.5 degree downward angle....it was tight. Since the shell was at the fab shop and on the rotisserie, I decided to do a small trans tunnel mod for additional tunnel clearance and slightly less driveline angle.

20240126_152603.jpg

20240126_152609.jpg

20240126_164027.jpg

20240126_164014.jpg

20240126_164446.jpg

once the final welds are sanded...should look almost OEM. You know...stockish.

should have the new HDK trans mount / crossmember tunnel reinforcement to show shortly.

Still have to add the lower portion but the top portion is done.

Removable upper potion that is adjustable based how high the tunnel may or may not be raised.

biggest advantage is the allowable width.

20240207_093339.jpg

20240207_111215.jpg

20240207_104015.jpg

-
Back