4 speed shifter problems need help here

-
I really don't think any of those rods are right. Mine weren't zinc plated, and I still think that reverse rod will not clear the cross member.

The first shift lever in the pic = All the way forward, 3rd an 4th gear.
Second shift lever in pic = 1st an 2nd gear.
Last lever in pic = Reverse.
They usually bolt to the trans,letters out.
I would install the old levers,and try it.
I think your getting close. :D

I really don't think any of those rods are right. Mine weren't zinc plated, and I still think that reverse rod will not clear the cross member.

This very well could be. Almost looking like B C E body rods,for a longer tailshaft.

just checked this before I left home. Daves69, that is what I bought from PG Classics. it says they are for the abody, but they don't look like the ones on your pic. when I get home I will change the levers back to factory. will have time to play with it and let you guys know. what about the tranny adapter. is the one I have right. Pulling the drill bit out and hooking them up. will that work or should they hook up in the position with the drill bit in place. will get back to you guys mid next week. Thanks,Bill

On top of all this...Prayers sent to your family member.

Let us know when you get back.

Hi Bill,
Sorry to hear of the domestic issues. Prayers.
Something to try.
In your post #22, 2nd picture, you show the shifter pinned and bolted to the adapter plate. Just by that picture it appears to me the shifter may be canted back toward the end of the output shaft. You may just need a different (correct) adapter.
Get everything back to this position including pin for shifter gate alignment.
Make sure you are in neutral on all three shift points. Output shaft will turn free of the input.
Remove the reverse rod and only work with the 1-2 and 3-4 rods
Set the adjustment on the two rods to about midway in their threads.
Check for fit. Too long? Remove the lower shifter bolt and pivot the shifter forward to see if the rods will drop in with minimal adjusting.
Let us know what you find.

Dave

Shifter adapter appears diff

Fourspeed022Medium_zpsd877ed6e.jpg

attachment.php

Ok guys, we finally got back home from the funeral in Mississippi. But not without problems. Funeral went fine but on the way down, I blew a rack and pinion on my 2006 Grand Caravan in Athens, Alabama. Did not want to chance it so I got it to the Huntsville International Airport and rented a car to make the rest of the trip. The only garage open I could find on sat. afternoon in Athens to look at it was Pep Boys. He told me he could fix it for $1000.00. I told him to set it back down and I left. Put some STP p/s and stop leak in it and made it home without a problem. Now, I have to change the rack and pinion this weekend. $87.00 out of pocket. Had a few minutes to look at this tranny and some of the comments. do you think the first step would be to change the adapter plate. the one on mine does not look like the one that is in the pic above and also the one that PassomPerformance sells for late 68-76 abody for a Hurst shifter.. If that plate is wrong it would have a bearing on how the rods hook up. let me know if I am going in the right direction here. I think I have a pic of the one Passonperformance shows as the right one. It looks like that plate would have the shifter going more forward as some of you guys said. let me know what you think here and I will get the right plate in. If that is what I need to do. Bill
A_Body__68____74_49f9aba98753c.jpg

according to the pics at Passon Performance, the plate that is on there now is for 64-65 B body and late 68-70 B body with Hurst shifter. I would think the later of the 2 is what this tranny came out of. I am going to order this tomorrow and change the levers back to the factory ones and maybe then the linkage rods will hook up. will get back with you guys after I get these on and see where we stand on it. Thanks for all your help. Bill

I was just getting ready to post that the shifter plate is identical to one on a 65 b body trans I have.
Also you shifter does not look correct, there is something that looks different on the reverse lever.

we keep this up and I might as well go out and buy a new car. someone said it didn't matter about that shifter. is it the wrong one.

I can take a pick of the correct shifter tomorrow to compare it to yours.

Bill
That is a 71-74 E-body or 71-74 B-Body style shifter mechanism and is not going to work correctly in an A-Body. As was mentioned you are also going to need the correct A-Body shifter mounting plate.

we keep this up and I might as well go out and buy a new car. someone said it didn't matter about that shifter. is it the wrong one.

I can't tell from the pictures but it looks like you have the 3-4 and the reverse levers switched ( the levers- not the rods) The 3-4 lever should be a little bit longer than the reverse lever. Also the rectangle hole in the levers are angled instead of straight on some levers so you have to flip them over which will move the round hole for the rod either forward of backwards depending on which way you have them. Hope I didn't confuse you to much (just trying to help).

Just looked at the pictures of the adapters and they are right you do have the wrong one but if you change it and still have trouble remember what I posted about the levers.

does your longest (reverse) shifter lever have a number stamped on it? My 68 4 speed Barracuda's shifter is identified with the number 6353 stamped on the above mentioned lever.

Russ

Russ, the old levers had numbers on them. post #25 shows them. my son changed the levers and put the new ones on there when we got the new rods from P G Classics. I didn't know he done that. he was anxious to get the new rods on. had a long talk about jumping on these switching parts till we see what we have. We both are learning fast on this stuff. I am going to put the old levers back on and in the right spot. I am ordering the correct shifter plate today. one like the gold one in post # 36. as far as the shifter goes, I thought I had the wrong one but in post # 10, I took it that Steve said they were the same shifter. maybe I got it wrong. I posted pics of the numbers on the side of the shifter in post # 11. somewhere I read I needed shifter # 3916789 or maybe 3914076. I don't know which. Don, PM me if you have the correct shifter for an a body. thanks guys for the help. Bill

went to hurstshiftersonline.com and looked up the correct shifter for the abody. it showed a picture of the shifter mechanism that has the same numbers as the one I have. 3216274/3306126. Mopar A and B Body Shifter Mechanism For Bolt on Handle

SKU: HUR391-A-B
HUR-391-A-B HURST 4 Speed Mopar A and B Body Shifter Mechanism NEW, CAD Plated, with Shift Stops. 100% New HURST Competition Plus 4 Speed Shifter Mechanism, CAD PLATED, for A and B Body Cars using a BOLT ON Handle. NOT for 1970 or newer B Body, NOT for E Body. Direct Replacement for OEM units with levers stamped 6353, 6354, 6555. More details...
Price: $285.95

Product Details
HUR-391-A-B
HURST 4 Speed Mopar A and B Body Shifter Mechanism NEW, CAD Plated, with Shift Stops.
100% New HURST Competition Plus 4 Speed Shifter Mechanism,
CAD PLATED, for A and B Body Cars using a BOLT ON Handle.

NOT for 1970 or newer B Body, NOT for E Body.

Direct Replacement for OEM units with levers stamped 6353, 6354, 6555.

Use with OEM Shift RODS and Levers, not for HURST linkage kits that
use bushings.

Shifter Mechanism ONLY as shown.

what am I missing here. this one they show has the same numbers as the one I posted a pic of back in post # 11.

-
Back