4 speed shifter problems need help here

-
what am I missing here. this one they show has the same numbers as the one I posted a pic of back in post # 11.

Your shifter looks right.
I have two shifters sitting on the bench here that are the same.
Just get the new mounting plate and you should be good.

that's what I am going to start with. going to get the plate changed and put the old factory levers on and try the rods and see where we are at. thanks, Bill

Bill
I returned your PM, like i mentioned you can not always go by those numbers stamped on the cover/case of the mechanism. The lever numbers should be 6353, 6354 and 6355 to be correct for an A-Body. By lever i am referring to the pieces inside the mechanism itself NOT the levers on the trans. If you provide the numbers that are on the levers on your shifter mechanism we can tell you exactly what that shifter is from. The numbers are stamped toward the bottom of the levers. Many times the internals have been switched to pieces from a different year or even model non Mopar car. When these shifters get sent in for cores the covers are often changed also so the numbers won't match what is inside of the mechanism. I see this being done all the time by people to hang one together just to sell it

Russ, the old levers had numbers on them. post #25 shows them. my son changed the levers and put the new ones on there when we got the new rods from P G Classics. I didn't know he done that. he was anxious to get the new rods on. had a long talk about jumping on these switching parts till we see what we have. We both are learning fast on this stuff. I am going to put the old levers back on and in the right spot. I am ordering the correct shifter plate today. one like the gold one in post # 36. as far as the shifter goes, I thought I had the wrong one but in post # 10, I took it that Steve said they were the same shifter. maybe I got it wrong. I posted pics of the numbers on the side of the shifter in post # 11. somewhere I read I needed shifter # 3916789 or maybe 3914076. I don't know which. Don, PM me if you have the correct shifter for an a body. thanks guys for the help. Bill

no Daves69, I have not had a chance to get back into this tranny problem. I had to pull the van in the garage and have to change the rack and pinion on it tomorrow so momma can get to work on Monday. will probably start back on it when the adapter plate comes in. But I will check it out and let you guys know what it looks like. Bill

Don, I will check them out and see what kind of numbers I can come up with maybe later today. Thanks again, Bill

Hey, Not that I know to much about this at all, But last year I had a problem with my car on the 1-2 shift. It would almost always hang up causing a missed shift. and then it would also get stuck a lot in a mysterious non existent gear. Long story short, I called brewers and gave them the part numbers off of everything and sent a picture or 2 in. They were very helpful and explained that some shifter mechanisms and adapter plates are "clocked" differently meaning at a different angle back or forth in relation to the trans, making the rods different lengths. I ended up having a cobbled up set of rods adapter and shift mechanism from different years and makes.. I would give Brewers a call with all of your part numbers and maybe they can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

yeah, I know. I am not there yet. I think I got a lot of stuff I didn't know what I was getting when I bought this. after being away from it for 40 years I didn't ask questions. I bought tranny and shifter and all the parts he had but I didn't know Mopar had the alphabet when it came to all the different bodies. I was a chebby man for a long time. not a problem though, I will get it straightened out with your guys help. got to get the right plate on and the right shifter and go from there. Don.......... took a minute while pulling the rack and pinion on the van and looked at the shifter levers. I found a number on the reverse lever. It was 7180. didn't see any yet on the other 2. what does that tell you if anything. Will look closer later. right now, I am replacing all the power steering parts. Rack and pinion, both lines, reservoir, and P/S pump. I don't want to do this job again. will look closer later at the other 2 levers and try and get numbers off them. let you know what I find. Bill

yeah, I know. I am not there yet. I think I got a lot of stuff I didn't know what I was getting when I bought this. after being away from it for 40 years I didn't ask questions. I bought tranny and shifter and all the parts he had but I didn't know Mopar had the alphabet when it came to all the different bodies. I was a chebby man for a long time. not a problem though, I will get it straightened out with your guys help. got to get the right plate on and the right shifter and go from there. Don.......... took a minute while pulling the rack and pinion on the van and looked at the shifter levers. I found a number on the reverse lever. It was 7180. didn't see any yet on the other 2. what does that tell you if anything. Will look closer later. right now, I am replacing all the power steering parts. Rack and pinion, both lines, reservoir, and P/S pump. I don't want to do this job again. will look closer later at the other 2 levers and try and get numbers off them. let you know what I find. Bill

Pretty sure that 7180 reverse lever is for an e-body.
Mine have 6353 on the reverse lever.

I am going to check the other numbers to see what they are so I know what to list this as when I sell the shifter. probably wind up buying another one or a new one here. Thanks,Bill

Bill
Yes as i mentioned in previous post that it was an E-body. I have no idea why others where saying it was correct for an A-Body when it could clearly be seen it was not and rather than do research before answering a question on a thread by post they would just rather disagree with someone who has done the research to document exactly what it is. Here are reverse lever numbers for some of the common shifters
-6353 A/B-TRUCK OVERDRIVE
-7180 E-BODY
-7174 70 B-BODY

Your shifter looks right.
I have two shifters sitting on the bench here that are the same.
Just get the new mounting plate and you should be good.

Bill
Yes as i mentioned in previous post that it was an E-body. I have no idea why others where saying it was correct for an A-Body when it could clearly be seen it was not and rather than do research before answering a question on a thread by post they would just rather disagree with someone who has done the research to document exactly what it is. Here are reverse lever numbers for some of the common shifters
-6353 A/B-TRUCK OVERDRIVE
-7180 E-BODY
-7174 70 B-BODY

Even now when I go back and compare the pictures to my shifters they still look the same.
Obviously if I had known the reverse lever number I would have originally said that is not the same but that is only for the reverse shifter lever.
I don't know the difference between the 7180 reverse lever and the 6353.
I still think the other two shifter levers look the same as mine but maybe there is something different that can't be seen or is it just that one reverse lever has a smaller hole in it?

Moparparts...:cheers: It looks like those specs came from the Brewers site.
The shifter is the same for all of those according to the Brewers site, only the reverse lever is different.
The OP is having trouble with the other two shifter rods being too long and the proper mounting plate is going to clock the shifter so the rod mounting holes on the levers will be further back.
Is it possible that the 7180 reverse lever will work anyway?
Do you know the difference between the 7180 and 6353 reverse levers?
If someone knows I'd like to know.

It really does help if you know what you are looking for or looking at and if you would research before posting you would then be able to clearly see and know what you are replying to and would not be telling others who know what they are looking at that they are incorrect is all i am saying. When someone asks for information help on here they want correct information. Apparently you have a problem accepting when you are incorrect judging by all the excuses you are coming up with to try to cover your misleading remarks and information you provided. All you had to do was research and you would then have been able to give a correct answer to the thread. All three levers in the mechanisms are different NOT just the reverse one!! The reverse lever and one of the other levers of the OP's shifter mechanism is designed completely different from an A-Body and i seen it at first glance and the reason for that is because i knew what i was looking at it is that simple. That rev lever # info was only a note paper i had here from my last Brewers parts order that had the reverse numbers on it and was provided as a guide for the OP which is what this is supposed to be about so let this be the last of non related cover up BS which does not apply to the OP's questions or concerns

Even now when I go back and compare the pictures to my shifters they still look the same.
Obviously if I had known the reverse lever number I would have originally said that is not the same but that is only for the reverse shifter lever.
I don't know the difference between the 7180 reverse lever and the 6353.
I still think the other two shifter levers look the same as mine but maybe there is something different that can't be seen or is it just that one reverse lever has a smaller hole in it?

Moparparts...:cheers: It looks like those specs came from the Brewers site.
The shifter is the same for all of those according to the Brewers site, only the reverse lever is different.
The OP is having trouble with the other two shifter rods being too long and the proper mounting plate is going to clock the shifter so the rod mounting holes on the levers will be further back.
Is it possible that the 7180 reverse lever will work anyway?
Do you know the difference between the 7180 and 6353 reverse levers?
If someone knows I'd like to know.

Moparparts you have a good eye, sorry man.
I stand corrected. My shifter is different than an E body.
After an extensive search of shifters I can now see the difference between the E and A shifters.
For those who might like to know here are a couple of pictures that show the difference. These pictures have been taken from different sides of the shifter so keep that in mind.
Hope this helps someone in the future.
A
hurst_511b_scott_1633_detailabody_zps69fe51b5.jpg

B & E
hurst_3917993-2_689_detailbande_zpsba981df5.jpg

Kman
No problem i am glad you figured out the differences and understand

Moparparts you have a good eye, sorry man.
I stand corrected. My shifter is different than an E body.
After an extensive search of shifters I can now see the difference between the E and A shifters.
For those who might like to know here are a couple of pictures that show the difference. These pictures have been taken from different sides of the shifter so keep that in mind.
Hope this helps someone in the future.
A

B & E

well Don, I guess you cleared that up. with those pics, I definitely have a B & E shifter. looks like I will have to find another one. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC05570 (Copy).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 492
can either one of you guys tell me what are the numbers on all 3 levers for an a body shifter pictured there in case I find one I can make sure or does all the a body mechanisms look like that one. also, can you get an a body mechanism that has the handle that bolts on or is that just B & E body one have that. Have to start looking here. thanks,Bill

can either one of you guys tell me what are the numbers on all 3 levers for an a body shifter pictured there in case I find one I can make sure or does all the a body mechanisms look like that one. also, can you get an a body mechanism that has the handle that bolts on or is that just B & E body one have that. Have to start looking here. thanks,Bill

6353, 6354 and 6355.

Russ

Thanks, I guess someone already told me that somewhere in these threads. I guess I had a brain fart and got confused .

how much trouble is it to change the levers in my mechanism and put these in that are correct for the a body. I have not done this. Service Parts /Mechanism Parts
SKU: 6353 6354 6355
Brand new HURST 4 Speed Mechanism Levers, Set of 3 Replaces levers 6353, 6354 and 6355 Comes with NEW Hurst Center Sleeve Pin. More details...
Price: $95.95

Hurst Replacement Set (3) of Shifter lever arms w Center Sleeve Pins , MOPAR A & B Body OEM

Hurst Replacement Set (3) of Shifter lever arms w Center Sleeve Pins , MOPAR A & B Body OEM
(Click to see larger image and other views)

Product Details
Brand new HURST 4 Speed Mechanism Levers, Set of 3
Replaces levers 6353, 6354 and 6355
Comes with NEW Hurst Center Sleeve Pin.

OEM Original HURST Dodge Plymouth Mopar Chrysler
replaces Levers numbered 6353, 6354, 6355

Fits:
Mopar Dodge Plymouth
A Body w Hurst OEM 4 Speed Mechanisms
1967-1969 B Body Hurst OEM 4 Speed Mechanisms
THAT ORIGINALLY HAVE Levers 6353, 6354, 6355
Will NOT replace any other Lever Set, or any other OEM
part number lever.

For use with OEM shift Rods that DO NOT use Bushings.

up-left-combo.png
lower-left-combo.png
up-right-combo.png
lower-right-combo.png

topcap.png

bottomcap.png

Not that difficult to do but depending on what is inside your current mechanism some of the slider plates may be different and some other pieces could be worn and not usable. I would purchase a rebuild kit that included those or buy the other pieces separately

how much trouble is it to change the levers in my mechanism and put these in that are correct for the a body. I have not done this. Service Parts /Mechanism Parts
SKU: 6353 6354 6355
Brand new HURST 4 Speed Mechanism Levers, Set of 3 Replaces levers 6353, 6354 and 6355 Comes with NEW Hurst Center Sleeve Pin. More details...
Price: $95.95

(Click to see larger image and other views)

Product Details
Brand new HURST 4 Speed Mechanism Levers, Set of 3
Replaces levers 6353, 6354 and 6355
Comes with NEW Hurst Center Sleeve Pin.

OEM Original HURST Dodge Plymouth Mopar Chrysler
replaces Levers numbered 6353, 6354, 6355

Fits:
Mopar Dodge Plymouth
A Body w Hurst OEM 4 Speed Mechanisms
1967-1969 B Body Hurst OEM 4 Speed Mechanisms
THAT ORIGINALLY HAVE Levers 6353, 6354, 6355
Will NOT replace any other Lever Set, or any other OEM
part number lever.

For use with OEM shift Rods that DO NOT use Bushings.

up-left-combo.png
lower-left-combo.png
up-right-combo.png
lower-right-combo.png

topcap.png

bottomcap.png

I am always impressed by the knowledge people have on this site and their willingness to share it with others.

Michael

Don, I know you did but there has been a lot of info on here about that and after I saw the numbers I remembered that. Michael, I too am impressed with the people on here and the willingness of them to share it with people like me. sometimes the same info more than once. I am trying to take it all in. trying to learn how to do all that I am trying to do right now and then deciding the best way to do it within my sons budget is getting hard. But I thank everyones patience with me on this task. It looks like I will probably sell this shifter and buy the right one. Thanks,Guys

-
Back