400 low buck dont give a

-
sounds good bob...play sand is that what you need????maybe the cutters will be here by Friday...if I get in Friday early I can come on up then and help you with the ridge cutting:prayer::prayer::prayer:...help out on whatever I can with it.. I got 2 cans of primer just got to stop and pick up some paint for it...retainers on the way......looking for locks now...

i drilled the the 3 middle ones out to 5/16" tobetter supply these.

the 2nd pic is of all the carbon i scrapped out of the ring grooves.

Attachments

• mikes motor 012.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 652
  • mikes motor 014.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 645
looking good bob.. I found the locks now I just need to make a list to order things that we will need ,and a few other things I need for the chassis car...looks like they calling for rain tonight if so we may not work tom. and I may be home early tom... I hope not but what can I do..lol will give you a call when I get back home and ready to head that way..:prayer:

new bearings, ears cleaned and plugs in oil mod.

Attachments

• mikes motor 021.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 597
  • mikes motor 019.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 631
  • mikes motor 018.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 602
earthmover came up sunday and turned the #4 cam bearing upside down and drilled a new feed hole for the journal. thanks to him :cheers: for lifting the crank and installing it into the block, damn thing is heavy for this old guy. he set the main caps and torque them also. he then lubed the cam and installed it. after that he knurled the valve guides, resized them and cut the spring seats for the double springs. :happy4:

Attachments

• mikes motor 022.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 594
  • mikes motor 023.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 577
  • mikes motor 024.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 587
hey bob looking good had a great time yest. working on the motor...:prayer: down here now licking my wounds:wack: got to my truck this morning and so *** hole had stole my damn batteries out the truck..all 3 of them along with the wires that connect them to each other:angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7: 425.00 later I have some new batteries ...going to have to sit down for a bath tonight and hope my azzzzz heal from it..anyway timing chain was sent off this morning , and the retainers are at home they came in today....going to look up the other odd stuff I need may be a week or so since the f-c-ing I took today.....but will get things back together....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Well,especially how he cut the spring seats. Knurling guides is almost unheard of these days,so would like to know what tool was used there as well. Just have an interest ..

:arrow: left to right, ridge reamer, 300 grit stone hone and 600 grit ball hone. the ridge ream is set in the top of the cylinder and tighten to just compress the springs behind the cutter with the top nut. then you turn it with a breaker bar and socket on the bigger nut until the ridge is gone. plus every so often you have to tighen it a little more.
the stone and ball hones i use with a hose running a bit of water to keep the stones clean with either a battery or air drill. use the stone hone first until the cylinder is as good as you can get it then hit it with the ball hone.
pic of the cutters, the 3 on left are different size guides, the top right is a valve guide/spring seat cutter the other one is a seat cutter. either of the 2 cutters bolt into any one of the guides and you stick them in your drill and have at it.
the knurlers and thier reamers are next to each other. the 2 things on the right go on the knurlers and you turn them with a wrench. the reamers you chuck in a drill with a little oil. the other thing is some type a reamer that i haven't got a clue what it's for.
all this take time, 25 minutes each cylinder to ridge ream and 10 minutes to water hone. the heads about and hour or so.

Attachments

• mikes motor 025.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 560
  • mikes motor 029.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 567
  • mikes motor.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 554
Very cool of you! Thanks very much..I need to add some of those tools into my box. Had most of em years ago,and a room mate stole em,sigh...I just need to save,lol..

:D:D:prayer:hey bob the retainers are at home and the new timing gear is there..i will pickup a set of the locks from the speed shop in town if they have them.....

my son said the ups man ask damn when you going to start 1 of the cars...lol he is the only 1 they send to my house..lol:D:D

:Dwe got the cam in and degree checked the intake piston to valve got a mile didn't get to check the ex side didn't have the lock for the valves....its coming along great....

hey who the hell is that fugly looking guy?????????:eek:ops::eek:ops: looks like me:banghead::banghead::banghead: hey bob will give you a call tom....sometime...

yea I have to get on the ball..been working on the shop...gonna order the head gaskets,valve locks,valve cover gaskets this coming week...so we came send the heads to the shop once we find out what we are going to have cut off them ,and have the ex. valves refaced along with a good valve job:D:D:D

i'vee been messing around degreeing the cam with the 8 keyway gear set. the 2A slot puts the centerline at 106 and the intake opening at 9 btdc, which is what's on the crane cam card. mike wanted the cam advanced 6 or 8 so ill have to find another slot. i'll wait untill mike has time and parts to come on up here so we can agree on what slot to use.

-
Back