63 Dodge Dart, now let me see;)

-
Good luck with the storm. Went through one in Florida a couple years ago. No fun dealing with the aftermath.

Thanks guys;) We were wiped out during Harvey~ it took a couple years to regroup, get another home(which I love). Amazing amount of work!
you can see on my Triumph TR6, the level of the nasty water at the level of the tail lights. Luckily it didn't get into the dash of the triumph, that would have been a nightmare~
garage-flood.jpg

flood.jpg

recovery-mode.jpg

I was messing around with the exhaust manifold, I did take the intake apart from the exhaust as the assembly was apparently dropped and the mating surfaces were off. Anyway, I was speaking with Zach, or we touched on the subject of opening the exhaust up to say 2.25" If I open up the exit of the exhaust to at least match the exhaust gasket, the exhaust pipe is relatively tiny. I'm thinking to open the exhaust port to match the gasket, then remove the little remanent pipe, open that flange hole to accept a 2.25", weld on the piece of 2.25" exhaust pipe? Then when ready, the exhaust shop can weld the exhaust onto what I installed. How's that sound?;)

addendum: then I found the TTi exhaust, oh boy

Then discovered I don't have a timing tab on my cover! Why would someone remove that! grr

slant 6 exhaustd.jpg

slant 6 exhaustc.jpg

slant 6 exhaustb.jpg

slant 6 exhausta.jpg

slant 6 timing cover.jpg

slant 6 exhauste.PNG

TTI exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
I want to say DocMCg saved the day on the rear main oil seal retainer! ;) I'm so pleased!

In the meantime, the cam is sent off to Oregon cams, and thanks to Halfafish for the contact info and an immense amount of information;)

I had a little left over steel, so I made a stand for the block and drilled a couple holes to use an engine lift plate~
hm, headed out of town this weekend:( Just when I was getting back in the garage.
dne'

slant 6 engine perchb.jpg

slant 6 engine percha.jpg

slant 6 engine perch.jpg

This weekend we we went to get this A body A833 (500bucks). Since it was painted, I was really worried what the innards might look like, but at least it's not a rust bucket. The shifter which came with it, it doesn't fit my shifter adapter, but I have time to look for another one. One of the main reasons to buy now, need to make the hump in the floor. I'm thinking to go ahead and overhaul this unit, better now than installing only to remove! lol I'll be blasting it down to its birthday suit~ I'd like it to look almost new;)
Slant 6 going to the machine shop Thursday this week;)

A833.jpg

A833n.jpg

A833m.jpg

A833l.jpg

A833k.jpg

A833j.jpg

A833i.jpg

A833h.jpg

A833c.jpg

A833b.jpg

I sealed up the transmission, then took it around the corner of my garage, pressure washed with my wet sandblasting attachment, it's now looking much better;) Actually not sure what to do with it, take it apart, or take a chance as it looks and sounds good inside. I would like to at least replace the tail shaft bushing and obvious gaskets. I'll be using a GPS type speedo, so not worried about the speedo gear.
I need a shower!
dne'

A833p.jpg

A833o.jpg

a pic of before obviously;)
A833f.jpg

I've been saved again, this time by Slant Six (Greg);) He had a timing cover, so I got on it today, got it cleaned and ready for paint~ haven't decided on paint yet.

Then, a little while back, Mopar Guy (Stan) guided me in the direction for the correct A833 bearing retainer so I can use my bell housing;) Brewers Performance had it;)

Then I put my rear axle together, just taking a chance on what it does, but it looks great!

oh, then I put my front fenders back on my main body, lots of body work~ I used my wet sandblaster to get them clean, worked well!;)
now what! lol
dne'

timing coverc.jpg

timing coverb.jpg

timing covera.jpg

8.25 rear axlec.jpg

8.25 rear axleb.jpg

8.25 rear axlea.jpg

8.25 rear axle.jpg

dart with fenders.jpg

mopar rear brakes.jpg

A833 retainer.jpg

Last edited:
Love that turquoise axle! Don't let my sweetie see it, she'd be planning how to get it away from you. :rolleyes:

It's actually Ceramic Detroit Alpine Green;) I just love this color and thinking about painting my engine/drivetrain that color, it would be so different;)

Love that turquoise axle! Don't let my sweetie see it, she'd be planning how to get it away from you. :rolleyes:

I read your thread from start to the latest. Very interesting and I am curious about your background. I am not sure I would ask the majority of the members that question. I have to surmise you are a welder by profession? Your husband is also a gear head? You have ecliptic tastes in anything with an engine. Our tastes mirror in many ways!!! Also slant sixes are a great motor. My brother is into air cooled Porsches. His favorite person in his weekend group pulled her motor/trans and rebuilt them with her young daughter. She did a trip out West and left the husband home!!! Continue on, I am looking forward to seeing your work.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to read my posts;) By profession, I was a Physical Therapist Assistant until 2004 when Gary and I were married. He asked me what I wanted to do retiring at that moment. I said I'd like to restore a car, wound up being a '67 Mustang. Working the bare basics in tools I did what I did pretty good. I could not do what I do without the forums, How to videos, Welding tips and tricks, and a very supportive husband, as we know, this is not a cheap hobby! lol Over the years, I've spent a great deal of time in pawn shops buying used tools, and today I have a great deal of tools. It's a wonderful hobby and as long as my physical self hangs in there, I'll continue. My husband (Gary) doesn't take part in the garage unless I need some help, but I'm pretty much by myself. I do try to do as good of work as I possibly can, but can't seem to do extra-ordinary work.
Thank you so much for tuning in, and look forward to yours and others responses~ helps to keep motivated by peers;)
dne'

In the meantime, I cleaned up the oil pan, was very nasty. After cleaning, I blasted it in my HF blasting cabinet, it just fit!

slant oil panb.jpg

slant oil pana.jpg

slant oil pan.jpg

My husband took off early to a meeting, so I was able to start earlier than usual on the body. I had already replaced the right rear lower quarter panel. I'd say the left front fender has been giving me most grief. I wound up blasting the front fenders with my wetblaster a few weeks ago, worked well. The rotisserie made it "easier" to blast; still a mess. I did a mess of body work on the left front, still a ways to go, then I ended shooting high build. Now the temps back up; I don't do heat very well these days.

63 body in primer.jpg

63 dodge dart on Max.jpg

63 dart fendersc.jpg

As for a color, I just about break my neck when I see a color of a car that I may like on my dart. I do like this matte finish Brunswick green~ then with nice decals. No chrome~ I see it in my mind! lol

This is an ebay seller, the color is lighter and it looks neat.

I don't think I ever mentioned why I chose a '63 Dodge dart to "restore". over the past years, I had restored a '67 Mustang, a 71 Triumph TR6, a 59 Chevy Apache, a 68 Cj5, a '93 Jurassic park JP18, a 76 Ford 2000 Tractor, my brothers '52 and my '72 Ford Bronco. I was having a difficult time thinking of something else~

While searching the internet, I came across Tincup, Mike Toupins '63 GT Dart, I became excited again~ I'm kind of following the looks, but nothing more as I can't afford what he did nor have the brain power to achieve what he did. That only left me with the notion to make mine look a tiny bit like his or you could just say I was greatly INSPIRED! And that's where I'm at today, or 1.5 years later of owning my '63. So, there you have it;)

63 dart special.jpg

You're doing great work! I like to see all of the different ideas people have about how to build their cars, and the ideas you've come up with are great. Looking forward to watch it progress. That chewed up speedo gear above probably got that way because whoever installed it had no idea how to clock it by the size gear it is. Keep poking at the Dart and you will be done before you know it. Those flood pics are :( !

Your work looks great. It's funny, you are building the same car I have and you are finding the same inspiration I did. I kept the chrome and didn't do the matte finish, but did also go with a green. I wanted green to begin with and this is how I found that car. I just wish I went the full route and did the V8 swap on mine. While it's fun to drive, it struggles on the Hwy with the little stock 170 slant.

Following along with your build.

last show 2023.jpg

last show 2023 #2.jpg

You have an awesome Dart;) You know, I really tried going with the idea of a V8 and wasted too much time on it. The slant six that I do have is in the machine shop as we speak, a good overhaul, with an increase in compression(9:1) along with the Super six intake and modded cam (thanks to halfafish) plus an A833 trans~ should be unique. Everyone has a V8, the Slant, no matter which is a tried and true engine. I'm not trying to make a hot rod, it's just with the engine out, it'd be crazy not to beef it up some;)
Looks like I won't get much done with the holiday~ :(

Oh, my cam is coming back from Oregon Cams; should be here next week, then I can take it over to the machine shop; let them install it;) Again, thanks goes out to Halfafish for advice and direction;)
dne'

Again, thanks goes out to Halfafish for advice and direction

Oh Lordy. You need to seriously re-evaluate your list of assistants. I am the lowest common denominator when it comes to building slants - best I can do for you is to tell you not to do things the way I did it. :steering:

I like to give credit where credit is due~ you were there for me, my cam wouldn't have been sent out, I wouldn't have learned how to Cc a combustion chamber and the other engine tech stuff. You set me on a path for progress~ So, my friend, pat yourself on the back for me. I've a long ways to go and I expect you to be there with me!! :thumbsup:

Oh Lordy. You need to seriously re-evaluate your list of assistants. I am the lowest common denominator when it comes to building slants - best I can do for you is to tell you not to do things the way I did it. :steering:

Thank you Joe (cudajoedart), this is what I found on Autobodyspecialties~

I'm waiting on few other members that could possibly come up with something, but Brewers will eventually have the fiberglass hump, which would solve the finding it now problem! I just worry that a fiberglass may not fit perfectly, whereas metal can be massaged. lol

The pics in gray are my 63 just for a visual (looks like clouds). The floor board in yellow is from an ebay ad for a 70-72 duster. Again, it's just for a visual that if I ever went with a hump I have to massage into place, I know I can do it.

the fiberglass one:

meh, now to prepare for the holiday weekend, a bunch of kids will be here;)

70-72 duster ebay.jpg

63 dart floora.jpg

63 dart floor.jpg

Last edited:
Pushed the Dart out of the way ( I love my rotisserie) and started putting my doors in epoxy. I had already wet blasted the doors last week(sprayed with phosphoric acid, a product from Eastwood), inhibits flash rust and leaves a zinc coating. In a bit, I'll be spraying a few coats of high build, then let the "body work" commence(again). Feel like I'm making a little progress!
Still waiting to hear from the machine shop:(

63 body worksb.jpg

63 body worksa.jpg

63 body works.jpg

63 body assembleda.jpg

63 body assembled.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to get repetitive so bear with me~ I'd call this the coats of high build primer~ it's looking straighter, but amazes me how a Low will elude me~ where did you come from my "LOW" life friend! lol Good weather over the next few days! wahoo!

63 dart in high buildb.jpg

63 dart in high builda.jpg

63 dart in high build.jpg

You're doing a good job on it. 2 different colors of the high build will show you high and low spots if you use one color this time and the other color the next, switching back and forth between coats. I learned to feel for them instead of just looking at them. Use the hand you don't write with to lightly skim the panel, with primer dust on your hand. You'll get the hang of it after a little practice. Once you feel a place, take a pencil and lightly mark back and forth across it and then sand across it with a long block. Pencil tracks will stay in the low spots and disappear on the edges of it. Did you find a 4 speed hump?

-
Back