63 Dodge Dart, now let me see;)

-
Dang that thing looks good. Can I send you my car for a dose of the Texas Treatment? I'll never be able to match what you have going here.

I wish I was half this good. I just suck.

Nothing much going on, however, I did receive my re-ground cam/lifters yesterday from Oregon Cams ;) I need to go visit the machine shop about my Slant 6; haven't heard anything:( I have done more sanding/blocking, etc., very slow go. I think today I'm just going to clean shop~ ya'll know how a shop can become a mess! ;)

cam.jpg

cama.jpg

I had a talk with my machine work fella~ hot tank on Friday and estimate on Monday. So, this morning I sprayed the underneath a glossy gray, then bolted up the Maxjax lift, removed the rotisserie, and installed the K member(just to look at it;)) The doors just clear the maxjax, that's good! So, the dart will be here for quite a while, have to work on the rear valance(couldn't do it on the rotisserie), the front valance needs a lot of attention too. The gray primer makes the car look great, but in reality needs a lot of attention. The maxjax has been a blessing over the years. I have 2 1/2 Maxjax lifts and have 3 places I can put them. When not in use, unbolt and roll out of the way;)
I need a smoothie~ ;)

dart on maxjc.jpg

dart on maxjb.jpg

dart on maxja.jpg

dart on maxj.jpg

dart k memberb.jpg

dart k membera.jpg

Oh Snap!! I spy a leaf spring relocation kit installed. :) Are you gonna mini tub it for bigger tires? I'll bet that Max-Jax comes in handy when working on low slung stuff like valance panels. I let my cars hang over the end of my 4 post lift to get to stuff like that.

Oh Snap!! I spy a leaf spring relocation kit installed. :) Are you gonna mini tub it for bigger tires? I'll bet that Max-Jax comes in handy when working on low slung stuff like valance panels. I let my cars hang over the end of my 4 post lift to get to stuff like that.

How observant you are;) It crossed my mind to mini tub, but I figured the relocation would be adequate. Looking at 63 tiresc pic, there's a lot of room for a wider tire. I haven't checked into yet, but there's a company here that can take my rear aluminum rims, add say 2" to make it a 10" rim, thus I could run the widest tires allowable. Fun to think about;) These rims were only 20 bucks each, so it would be "cheap", then have the powdercoated a neat color~ dreaming right now, so bear with me.
dne'

63 tiresd.jpg

63 tiresc.jpg

63 tiresb.jpg

63 tiresa.jpg

I was playing with the wheels that I do have. I'd like it to have this stance, give or take. I do want a tire as wide as I can go. This is fun! ;)

the right tire is: 205/65r15
the left tire is: 225/70r15

right tirea.jpg

left tirea.jpg

rear axle.jpg

rear axlea.jpg

tire room.jpg

I've got a relocation kit that I'm going to put in my 70 Duster if I live long enough to get to it, lol. It's not going to be a wheels up, front tire carrying monster, but I just like big ol honkin tires up under the back of a car. With it mini tubbed, I can always put stickier tires on it if I win the lottery and build a BIG motor for it.

Thanks for taking the time to do a build thread on your car. I enjoy watching DIY threads like this. Maybe the heat will start to subside for you before too long. I had to work in Texas in 2005 after a hurricane. We rolled into the area we were gonna work in at 2AM, and it was 94 degrees! One of my co-workers said, "At home it gets dark and cools off. In Texas, it just gets dark!" :eek:

Thank you JD;) I did the relocation because it would dumb to wait until later. I'm still thinking about mini-tubing it, just so it will be done~ and yes, Big ol honkin tires look awesome!

I think it's rather pricey for a "kit", looks easy enough to make this kit myself.
I've got a relocation kit that I'm going to put in my 70 Duster if I live long enough to get to it, lol. It's not going to be a wheels up, front tire carrying monster, but I just like big ol honkin tires up under the back of a car. With it mini tubbed, I can always put stickier tires on it if I win the lottery and build a BIG motor for it.

Thanks for taking the time to do a build thread on your car. I enjoy watching DIY threads like this. Maybe the heat will start to subside for you before too long. I had to work in Texas in 2005 after a hurricane. We rolled into the area we were gonna work in at 2AM, and it was 94 degrees! One of my co-workers said, "At home it gets dark and cools off. In Texas, it just gets dark!" :eek:

That ole girl is really coming along. Karrin and I were looking at the pictures and she not being a mechanically inclined person was amazed by your craftsmanship and attention to detail with your work. You could use a little roller and at your skill level you could make those pieces in your shop.

Gee Jeff, that is a super compliment!! I do try my best and want to be recognized for what I can do. I've been playing the restoration thing since 2008, a few small things before that. But after I retired from being a physical therapist assistant for a bunch of years, then got married in '04, Gary asked me what I wanted to do~ I'd like to restore a car~ that's where it started. I think I have a shop that most would envy and sooooo proud of it!

I don't know if this link works anymore, I have a blog which I haven't done anything on in a while.
www.classiccarsandtools.com

Gee Jeff, that is a super compliment!! I do try my best and want to be recognized for what I can do. I've been playing the restoration thing since 2008, a few small things before that. But after I retired from being a physical therapist assistant for a bunch of years, then got married in '04, Gary asked me what I wanted to do~ I'd like to restore a car~ that's where it started. I think I have a shop that most would envy and sooooo proud of it!

I don't know if this link works anymore, I have a blog which I haven't done anything on in a while.
www.classiccarsandtools.com
Your Blog is forbidden by our server...but I just realized you had this complete posting from the car being forked out of the yard to where it is now. I did a 68 Coronet R/T back in the early 80's, a 1966 Dodge Charger, a 67 Barracuda, one Olds 442 and a Chevy Nova II for a couple of friends. I have not done a tear down and complete restoration since...just partials. I have 3 good Mopars for complete restoration stored for my retirement projects...if that day ever comes LOL. We have a 67 Barracuda convertible, a 67 Formula S Barracuda and a 66 Formula S Barracuda that are slated for retirement projects. We also have a 65 performance package Barracuda, a 65 4 gear Commando Barracuda and a couple more we are considering selling as we will probably never get to them. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK IT IS INSPIRING!

Figured I'd better go ahead and do the mini-tub: I'd say this was the "easiest" part cutting it out, don't get me wrong! it was noisy, dusty, and a little scary,(cut-off wheel and/or sawzall) I hope this works! lol I can start fitting it tomorrow unless Gary has other plans~ I have enough 19gauge to make the "spacers", doesn't need a flange like the ones they sell. I will weld them in. I was a little worried the body might have gone , Ka-bong, but it didn't. I think the fitting part should be straight forward, then welding, just the time involved and being a contortionist! ;)

mini tubedb.jpg

mini tubeda.jpg

mini tubed.jpg

You can just make out the top of the tire~ looks like a foot clearance and the tire is about where I'd want it~ I could go 4 wheeling!!
mini tubedc.jpg

Dang.... you ain't wasting any time. Once you get it fitting like you want, you can tack a few places on your filler metal to the inner tub you're moving over, then pull it back out to where you can zip that entire seam together without being turned upside down and sideways...lol. My buddy always puts the decklid back on before welding the hinge supports back together, so he can move them and clamp them in the right place to get the trunk gaps right. He said he learned that the hard way!

i'm glad you decided to do the minitub. for the same reason as the spring relocation, it just makes sense to do it now. you don't 'have' to fit the biggest tyres that'll fit just now, but later on it means you 'can'. it'd be horrible to do either work once the body is painted and assembled.
neil.

i'm glad you decided to do the minitub. for the same reason as the spring relocation, it just makes sense to do it now. you don't 'have' to fit the biggest tyres that'll fit just now, but later on it means you 'can'. it'd be horrible to do either work once the body is painted and assembled.
neil.
Exactly my thoughts Neil, Thank you;) but I tell ya, I was this close to not doing it!~ lol

Last edited:
-
Back