65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
More minor progress today - got the reproduction outside door handle installed (and removed) when I found that it would not activate the latch. Comparing the mechanism with an original it appears the rod attached to the exterior knob wasn’t long enough by about a quarter of an inch. So what I did was heat the bend and raise up that long part of the rod effectively lengthening where it meets the latch - problem solved

BD439F5F-9D56-4B3D-95B9-F2BCC44B0104.jpeg

402C079A-35A6-4F1D-A9E7-A83F03CBB6E3.jpeg

Also installed (and removed) the window regulator now equipped with a motor to raise and lower the glass. Why did I have to remove it after installing it? I found out the door handle mechanism and it’s connecting rod needs to go on first. That entails having to remove the previously installed latch. All told I wasted about 2 hours on a 20 minute job. The driver’s side will (should) be a piece of cake. No pics since it’s all hidden by the inner door panel.

Last edited:
More minor progress today - got the reproduction outside door handle installed (and removed) when I found that it would not activate the latch. Comparing the mechanism with an original it appears the rod attached to the exterior knob wasn’t long enough by about a quarter of an inch. So what I did was heat the bend and raise up that long part of the rod effectively lengthening where it meets the latch - problem solved

View attachment 1715673058

View attachment 1715673059

Also installed (and removed) the window regulator now equipped with a motor to raine and lower the glass. Why did I have to remove it after installing it? I found out the door handle mechanism and it’s connecting rod needs to go on first. That entails having to remove the previously installed latch. All told I wasted about 2 hours on a 20 minute job. The driver’s side will (should) be a piece of cake. No pics since it’s all hidden by the inner door panel.
Looks great!

Looking like you need to update your avatar soon.

Done!

And another minor update that can not be seen. The driver’s side window regulator with the motor and inside door handle mechanism are installed and only took about 20 minutes to do! Practice from the passenger side paid off. No pics since it’s all hidden.behind the inner panel.

I’ve always liked the 65/66 Dart GT’s door and fender louvers. I discussed them with @65dartcharger who said I really need to use them on such a custom creation. So I ordered a set of the repros from Laysons. After Ulf sent me the exact measurements of where they go, I installed nutserts for each and got them installed yesterday. Right or wrong, I like them and can’t be changed now without a bunch of work. Obligatory pic:

C2E53661-8ABF-4BBB-AC2C-AF7DB9AEAAFE.jpeg

Done!

And another minor update that can not be seen. The driver’s side window regulator with the motor and inside door handle mechanism are installed and only took about 20 minutes to do! Practice from the passenger side paid off. No pics since it’s all hidden.behind the inner panel.

I’ve always liked the 65/66 Dart GT’s door and fender louvers. I discussed them with @65dartcharger who said I really need to use them on such a custom creation. So I ordered a set of the repros from Laysons. After Ulf sent me the exact measurements of where they go, I installed nutserts for each and got them installed yesterday. Right or wrong, I like them and can’t be changed now without a bunch of work. Obligatory pic:

View attachment 1715674254
Looks great!

Done!

View attachment 1715674254
Don! Have yoi heard the story that the fender louvers were painted red, white and blue? I was told so by Geoff Stunkard!

Don! Have yoi heard the story that the fender louvers were painted red, white and blue? I was told so by Geoff Stunkard!

Ulf - I have never heard or seen that before. Interesting concept - fender louver insert in red, then door inserts in white and then blue. That would tend to match the painted area of the fender guides

Thank you USPS for being so quick with my cad plated hardware from Eric (being facetious here - it took over 2 weeks for a Priority Mail package from OH to VA!), I finally have the blower motor nuts that secure the blower motor to the mounting ring

AAE444E1-835B-46EF-8B65-82FD7D9672C0.jpeg

7CE65DAF-2DF9-4D54-9054-94263B98381B.jpeg

All three installed
365CEA42-8D87-45F4-8F98-D7D3AB754AFC.jpeg

I also now have the cad plated screws (not shown) that secure the blower motor assembly to the flange in the AC housing.

CF62105D-06CE-41E2-A51E-C6E7993233AB.jpeg

Since you can see the blower motor in the engine compartment, it needs to look good. I previously removed the old paint from it, etch primed and painted it all gloss black. You can also see the original rusty flanged nuts holding the assembly together before I got my newly Cad plated nuts
97967291-6D36-4825-9650-B10774EDCE55.jpeg

As soon as I finish flushing the evaporator, it and the blower motor can be installed and this part of the HVAC system can be installed

Last edited:
65dartman,
Love what you're building there, one of none, awesome. Noticed picture of you sanding on hood, a fellow "gray beard". That said, you can for sure relate to "back in the day (BITD)" type memories. One such for me, that was stirred up by your "sedan delivery" build is that of 1 sedan delivery that 2 of my friends (same car at different times) owned... So this BITD car was a 56 Chevy SD. The 1st friend (circa 74) had done it up... 350 4 bolt mains, stroked, bored & balanced, angle plug heads, fenderwell headers, thumping cam, bigas Holley's and a magneto. Built 400 trans, brake & crazy converter complemented with 9" rear. Rear fenderwells nicely cut out for slicks and the neatest thing (everyone's opinion BITD) was the straight axle. Sorry for going off the deep end here, but on a roll here... Paint was deep metallic purple and the SD panels were painted medium silver with a hand brush-painted picture of "Mr. Natural" holding a big fat one in his mouth wearing a big smile and a long leg stepping forward that ran ¾ the length of the SD panel, above the picture "Just stepping out" was also hand brush-painted. On the dash, purple also, about 6" large cartoon characters "Yosemite Sam" 6 shooters a blazing and "Tweety Bird". The interior was sparse outside of the white leather electric Eldorado seat, curtains behind the seat, concealing the bed...
This car was not only cool looking but ran as we'd say BITD like a taped ape. Blew the doors off of another one of my friends' 68, built 440, 4 spd GTX.
Thanks reading the ramblings of a fellow gray beard. Subscribed

Thank you USPS for being so quick with my cad plated hardware from Eric (being facetious here - it took over 2 weeks for a Priority Mail package from OH to VA!), I finally have the blower motor nuts that secure the blower motor to the mounting ring

View attachment 1715675081

View attachment 1715675082

All three installedView attachment 1715675083

I also now have the cad plated screws (not shown) that secure the blower motor assembly to the flange in the AC housing.

View attachment 1715675085

Since you can see the blower motor in the engine compartment, it needs to look good. I previously removed the old paint from it, etch primed and painted it all gloss black. You can also see the original rusty flanged nuts holding the assembly togetherView attachment 1715675086

As soon as I finish flushing the evaporator, it and the blower motor can be installed and this part of the HVAC system can be installed
Looks great. Do you have one of the three insulators extra for sale!? One pn the convertible is shot.

Well, I decided it’s time to test fit the AC part of the system, the dash (even though it’s nowhere near completed) and the AC vent that goes under the dash. I need to find a spot for the radio, brain box for my Dakota Digital dash, module for the power door locks and power window switch. The shifter naturally goes on the hump. I figured it was gonna be a challenge finding any extra space since it’s space challenged anyway under there. To make matters a bit more difficult the Dakota Digital box can’t be located where there’s a good chance of electrical noise interference from the alternator, coil etc. That precludes mounting it on the passenger side. The dash is a 2 person job so i enlisted my buddy who was good enough to come over this afternoon to give me a hand. Besides, We could bounce ideas off each other. So this is what it basically looks like
83AFE42E-EDB3-4156-987F-4AFC6C9A8C59.jpeg

Yes, that is a buddy seat AKA as an armrest for me and the wife.

B3E3D68A-FCE7-468D-8219-E0847C545681.jpeg

I have basically come to the conclusion I will need to build some kind of console from the bottom of the AC vent down to the hump and back to the buddy seat. The radio could go right under the AC vent with the module(s) for the power door locks under the console and the power window switch somewhere on top near the shifter. Looks like the driver’s kick panel is gonna be the best spot for the Dakota Digital brain box, although I really don’t like it there. Any suggestions concerning these components will be gladly accepted.

Last edited:
The '84 - '86 Daytonas had the Logic Module mounted in the passenger's side kick panel. Should be fine there.

If you get ac (alternating current) noise from alternator you can shield it and wires with aluminum foil. Looking good.
BTW in my previous #612, I noticed "taped" for some reason? should have read "raped ape".

Love to see some more side pictures Don. Been following your thread and love what you've done here. Great job and it looks like you're truly enjoying it.
I'm loving your car. The only '65 Dart wagon sedan delivery I've ever known. Thank you.

The '84 - '86 Daytonas had the Logic Module mounted in the passenger's side kick panel. Should be fine there.

Thanks for the info. The cable is not long enough to reach the passenger kick panel and the area between the AC vents and far right of the dash is already filled with the turn signal and emergency flashers and another Dakota Digital module. Darn dash is space challenged

Love to see some more side pictures Don. Been following your thread and love what you've done here. Great job and it looks like you're truly enjoying it.
I'm loving your car. The only '65 Dart wagon sedan delivery I've ever known. Thank you.

I’ll try to get some more side pics. What need to do is roll it outside and stand back far enough to get it all in the pic. As soon as my grandson finishes putting a new exhaust on his 92 Dakota, I’ll see what I can do

Ulf - I have never heard or seen that before. Interesting concept - fender louver insert in red, then door inserts in white and then blue. That would tend to match the painted area of the fender guides
Do you remember Bob Smocks Dartcharger from early 2000. He had red, white and blue. I think it could look great on a car and stand out.

Do you remember Bob Smocks Dartcharger from early 2000. He had red, white and blue. I think it could look great on a car and stand out.

ah, can’t say that I do. With a white car, pretty much any color stand out- like the blackiut on my tailgate!

-
Back