66 dart convertible

-
I too have a red 66 Valiant slant six convertible. The body is almost completely rust free and needs little work (I bought it when I lived in California) but the interiror is a mess. Did you have trouble finding seats, carpets, etc.? I've checked with Year One, Legendary, and so forth and most have stuff for a 67 and newer Valiant. I was wondering if 66 Dart seat covers would work. Mine are toast and so is the carpet.

hmm I saw a listing for the red buckets in legendary here's the partnumber
I have used legendary and the fit for the dart was excellent AS LONG as the foam buns were good. if yours are old and toasted the fit will SUCK. you will have wrinkles in the seat covers
ohh and the new foam buns are generic to a couple of model years for our series cars, so trimming and fitting is required
66 VALIANT SIGNET BUCKETS - RED
AA66CV00010505

• Seat Upholstery
  • Year:1966
  • Make: Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth
  • Style: Bucket Front Only
  • UOM: PR
  • Lead Time: Estimated ship time 20 days for items not in stock
  • Price: $338.00

rears are

66 VALIANT SIGNET CONV. REAR BENCH - RED
AA66CV00050505

• Seat Upholstery
  • Year: 1966
  • Make: Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth
  • Style: Convertible BKT Rear Only
  • UOM: EA
  • Lead Time: Estimated ship time 20 days for items not in stock

and stock interiors carry the carpet (I have not use this company)

this is for the Automatic but they have it with the 4 speed also1963-1966 Dodge Dart Carpet, Convertible Automatic, Includes Tails

Our Price: $134.95 Item Number: 9392

Hope this helps

I am waiting on parts to come in so I can go forward. Soooo I decided to cleanup the dirty rusty dash. an since I'm going with "cool vanilla" PWG paint code as an outside color I'm painting the dash "Wagg's Poo brown:prayer:" (Thats on his Saara's interior panel) with a little pearl in it to flash it up. (hey Waggin does this mean it's pearly poo color and thats ok right?)

I'm shootin the kneeknocker A/c unit (got it from Waggin too! thanks!!!) to match the dash

"Pearly Poo" here I come!

just blasted the dash and fixed a couple of rust holes and sprayed it in epoxy to stop it from happening again. here tis in it's epoxy stage
Blasted it to clean it up
View attachment DSCF2868.jpg
hmm nust of had a major leak
View attachment DSCF2870.jpg
it even rusted out the center section of the grill
View attachment DSCF2871.jpg
ahh I'll just put me a mopar emplem there and nobody'll notice
View attachment DSCF2872.jpg
epoxied up nice too!
View attachment DSCF2873.jpg
another view, nuttin like watchin paint dry
View attachment DSCF2874.jpg

I haven't had much time to work on the dart lately but I did manage to get some metal for the dart installed. I got the rear seat bottom pan installed and the seat fitted to the new position. Man it sit's pretty good! and it's solid. just have to make a small triangle brace for the corners and stitch weld the new panel in place instead of screwing it in so that carpet will cover it and it'll be done.
here's some pic's
View attachment DSCF2877.jpg

View attachment DSCF2878.jpg

View attachment DSCF2879.jpg
here's the place I have to add metal that the carpet sill cover it and look good.
View attachment fixin the seat REAR.jpg
here is that big gap in the rear of the seat with a panel attached (I still have to put in a filler over the rear seat belts but that's just finish work). that's going to give me a great base to make a new boot, plus it's almost 2 inches higher than the original setup so I won't have to jump up and down on the top to get the boot on.
View attachment DSCF2875.jpg

Welding in the tabs and mounting locations now. these seats are NICE>> and comfortable. but it weird how HUGE the Steering wheel look in comparison to the seats, I just might have to find me a smaller wooden one to replace that huge "honkin" wheel

as you can see it's HUGE!!!!
View attachment DSCF2882.jpg
here is the seat s mocked into place and squared up. no welds yet for the alignment tabs
View attachment DSCF2883.jpg

the passenger side sit's crooked for some reason. I'll have to adjust the bracket to level it out . it's mighty close to the door panel(after it is installed anyway) I'll be shimming up the back outside corner to level it up and gain an inch or so more clearance,
View attachment DSCF2884.jpg

got more room on this side

View attachment DSCF2885.jpg
but it looks awesome from the back
View attachment DSCF2888.jpg

I'm getting excited now that I'm moving forward and almost ready to drop her down on her new 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern wheels. so I decided to do a litle work on the engine bay and put some color on it and finish up the suspension. I replacing all the stuff (still need to get bumpers and strut rod bushings) new bearings and seals front and rear. and the leaf's are supposed to be in this week.
here's a shot of the bay, and areas that I'm working on to get ready for the sub frame connectors and seat mounting locations.
here is the seat location tabs. I'm going underneath and welding in support plates and drilling thru to bolt it in better aslo.
View attachment DSCF2893.jpg

here's the back seat mount and the big volt holes in the back are seat belt mounts and the top of the seat hold down
View attachment DSCF2894.jpg

this is the seat back mount and I'll have to weld in some more bracing to the side for seat belt support
View attachment DSCF2895.jpg

new off set bushings installed passenger side wiaitng on the socket to install the balljoints
View attachment DSCF2896.jpg

mmmmmmm nice!
View attachment DSCF2897.jpg

drivers side bushings in and ready to go!
View attachment DSCF2898.jpg

I was suprised that it came out so nice
View attachment DSCF2899.jpg

It looks like I'll be jamming the car for color this week. and adding the brake and fuel lines. so I can get it setup for the subframe connectors with the suspension on.

Welp I'm making a little progress now. I just finished up jamming the trunk, bottom side of trunk, tops of doors windshield pillar and door jams. it's almost starting to look goooooood, I still have to get the doors finished (painting sides and bottoms so I can back mask and get the top done. I still have to bust butt on the hood since I haven't even started blocking it out but it's getting close. Dash will be 2 toned (tan and cool vanilla) along with the tops of the doors and rear section
here's the pic's

hmm inside of trunk is painted but bug's like it! dang gonna have to sand them out.
View attachment DSCF2950.jpg

not too shabby considering how BAD the thing was. and it the inside of the trunk
View attachment DSCF2951.jpg

nope gotta wire wheel the trunk even more. have to stop here and redo the trunk floor.
View attachment DSCF2952.jpg

yup gotta do the whole trunk it looks UGLY. gotta fix that
View attachment DSCF2953.jpg

ohhh yeah the trunk gutters came out great though.
View attachment DSCF2954.jpg

Door jams came out nice and smoooooooth
View attachment DSCF2955.jpg

Gah got a run in the dash!@#@$!@#$ that;ll teach me to sneeze!:banghead:
View attachment DSCF2956.jpg

tops of the doors look gooood. I'll have to mask off for the other color
View attachment DSCF2957.jpg

looks good on this panel top. again I'll mask for the second color tomorrow
View attachment DSCF2958.jpg

welp if I could quit runnin the paint on the dash I'd be almost ready to put it in and cover it up.
View attachment DSCF2959.jpg

hmm watching paint dry sucks. I'm gong in for a cool one
have a great day!

the Dart is almost ready for a last coat of sealer and paint!!! I just finished the underside of the trunk lid and the hood. now to put it together without scratching it and back mask the painted surfaces I've already done and off I go to my paint on the outside.

I am going to add sub frame connectors. (not because of the Awesome power of the /6 but for added stiffness) it's going back on the rotisserie to check cuts and fit , but won't be welded until I get it back down onto the new suspension.
here some pic's
in epoxy
View attachment DSCF2975.JPG
in paint
View attachment DSCF2976.JPG
ahh now I need a hood pad
View attachment DSCF2977.JPG

door is done on the inside
View attachment DSCF2978.JPG
the other door done on the inside
View attachment DSCF2979.JPG

one step closer every day

Just got out of the Garage tonight and was as pleased as I could be.(cept for the damn mosquitos)
I got my sealer on.color on and 1 coat of clear before everything went downhill. it's repairable but the darn bugs just dive bombed into any horizontal surface. I must have 20 or so stuck in the clear. I forgot to close the booth door as I went and mixed some more clear and that's when they came in. GAH!. I tweezered out almost all of them but I still have to lightly sand the surface to flatten everything so I can get some more clear on there.. It does look pretty good for only having one coat of clear on it. I have to re-read the doc's on my devilbiss plus again and see why it looks like a new car finish instead of super smooth. really small orange peel in there. but it was just a first coat. I'd like the next coat to go on super slick so I'm back to reading for answers,

here's the pic's
I have about 5 of the darn bug's on the trunk. UN believable I was just out the door for 5 minutes mixing clear up and saw them stuck to the trunk.
View attachment DSCF2983.jpg

this side didn't get any stuck on there.
View attachment DSCF2984.jpg

I am excited that I was able to get this side so straight. it was scratched and dented from the front fender to the tail light.
View attachment DSCF2985.jpg

thew other side came out pretty good too!
View attachment DSCF2986.jpg

got a couple of bug's on the top of the passenger fender to work out but overall the fender came out nice!
View attachment DSCF2987.jpg

Ahh the hood on the passenger side. I think you can still see a couple that are in there still.. I tweezed out 10 of them buggers
View attachment DSCF2988.jpg
got the dash in and mounted so I
can cheat and get a coat of clear on the top part (oops on my part I forgot to clear it) then I can run down to the paint store on monday and get some flattening agent to flatten the dash top.
View attachment DSCF2989.jpg

all in all I like it. not a real lot of POP for color but I'm leaning toward a little pearl with some inter-coat clear to help brighten it up. and then shooting on the last coat of clear to lock it down.

I just finished the first 2 coats of clear on the car and am pleased at the finish.
I have a little trash in the hood and trunk and one spot I have to fix(ran out of paint and it sputtered on me ) . I'm sure that if I keep looking I'll find more stuff to fix but over all it looks pretty good.

got the cowl done and the dash has been sprayed. (going to flatten it out with another coat of clear with flattening agant)
View attachment DSCF2999.JPG

there's the trash on the trunk. bad part about it was it was my fault. air hose hung up and I yanked it DUH!
View attachment DSCF2998.JPG

got some nibs on the hood to take care of nothing bad though
View attachment DSCF2996.JPG

jams came out great.
View attachment DSCF2993.JPG

drivers side is SLICK! I like that new Devilbiss plus gun I got for Christmas.
View attachment DSCF2990.JPG

I'm waiting on my pearl to come in so I can shoot some test panels to see if anything looks good on the vanilla paint.

I just got some sound deadener in and was tinkering with the brake lines to finally get the dart back down on some wheels (unitl I get the pearl coat on and so forth.)
got to finish sealing the edges with the silver sure tape ducting sealer tape to make sure it doesn't smell.
View attachment DSCF3017.jpg

debating on how far back I want to go. I'll have to make a custom well so I
l probably stop right below the motor .
View attachment DSCF3018.jpg

View attachment DSCF3019.jpg

View attachment DSCF3020.jpg

one small step at a time

I'm in a slow down mode so far .. getting ready to head up to michigan foe a couple of weeks to get a friends car ready for the dream cruise. but I
did get a little more done on the dartr
I finished redoing the heater core and box. (still need a door for the passenger side vent for the second heater box I'm doing but I'll get that when I start on the other dart. I found out that I don't have al the parts for the top to go on and have been if a little bit of a bind until I found parts of the pieces that hold the top to the header.
here's my first try on the outside pieces that the header seal will glue to .
here's the one and only side piece I found.
View attachment 0803121713.jpg

View attachment 0803121713a.jpg

View attachment 0803121714.jpg

View attachment 0803121714a.jpg

View attachment 0803121715.jpg

I still have to run it through the bead roller for a finished look on the edges and finish drilling out the holes but IT fits good!
View attachment 0803121715a.jpg

View attachment 0803121729.jpg

View attachment 0803121730.jpg

the next part will be a ***** to do (it's the piece that goes in between these 2 pieces and really holds in the top and header seal.)
I've almost got the shape done in 1/2 x1/2 inch square stock , still tweaking the curve to fit the header panel better, you know the drill. heat, bend, check fit and discover you bent it the wrong way and do it all over!

I have been waiting on my pearl powder to show up so I can finish up the clearcoat and start putting the car together sooooo.... I decide to check out my trim and see where/what I have to do. I only have 1 mistake that I'm worried about but it's just visual thing. when I was working on the fenders I must have forced the bracing in a little too far. so I have a distinct angle onthe trim going to the front spear. it lines up with the door perfectly and matches the fender but it starts out wide and goes narrow in reference to the fender. it's not a big thing but it is visible to me. I'll look for another fender so I can correct it since I'm not going to go backwards on this fender. (it was to had to get it even this close)
there is the offending trim
View attachment DSCF3042.jpg
and there is the gap wide by the door and correct on the tip of the fender.

I'm living with it for now.
View attachment DSCF3035.jpg

the passengers side it dead on no screw ups there.
View attachment DSCF3046.jpg

man I'm going to have to work my fingers to the bone making that trim look good, it UGLY.
View attachment DSCF3043.jpg

View attachment DSCF3044.jpg

View attachment DSCF3045.jpg

View attachment DSCF3047.jpg

I took a short break to see my kids and go to the michigan dream cruise so the dart got put on the burner to simmer for a while. Anyway I put the body on the cart and pulled it outside to check for oops that I thought were in there. ya know that "skeeters" LIKE no make that LOVE fresh clear.. I could have shot 40 coats of base color and not one bug. but let me get out the clear and BAM millions of them sucker waiting to kamikaze in to fresh clear. so here I sit sanding the mosquito's legs off and checking for other oops that are in there. It's not to bad but I have a few in the trunk lid and hood areas right where I can see em, but since I'm wet sanding the clear coat down and going to add some gold shimmer pearl and then re-clear it, I'll have 2 coats more than I want on it but I think it'll be ok since I''m leveling the existing 2 clear coats that are on it now

here a pic or 2

back view along the passengers side really doesnt have any mistakes that are major
View attachment DSCF3518.JPG

got me some legs to sand out on the trunk lid right at the curve, darnit I didn't see then until the clear was dry, plus checking out the fit of the led setup. with the custom harness to activate the inner lights so that they work like the stop tails on the quarters. next I'm going for a smoother look on the led's by going SMT style and smt resistors. but first I have to get a BIG magnifying light because then suckers are SMALL. 4 of them fit inside one of the lumileds that I'm using now. tweezer time for sure.
View attachment DSCF3519.JPG

just messing around with some trunk dress up stuff
I sort of like the way it might look. hmmm now to find some material.. vinyl , tweed or that felt like stuff? medium brown to dark brown I'd say to offset the vanilla color. or the same as the top of the dash?
View attachment DSCF3527.JPG

I do like the way the dash is 2 toned. now to save my penny's and get the clusters rechromed
View attachment DSCF3530.JPG

passengers side front fender has a scratch in it from me not watching what I'M DOING WITH THE AIR HOSE :banghead:
View attachment DSCF3531.JPG

I finally got an ac box for this dart and am ready to test fit and cut the holes to put the new A/c heater core box in. I am in need of a switch or 2 to finish up the inside conversion it's a mix of 66 A/c box and 73 dart A/c heater core. It "almost" matches the stock 66 A/C heatercore setup , I just have some minor adjustments to do for the a/c clutch cycling issue that I will have due to the mixing of parts.
View attachment DSCF3523.JPG

side view. Almost ready for the pearl and THEN suspension! can't wait for that.
View attachment DSCF3532.JPG

drivers side wet sanded to 1000 on most of the body just need to dull the rest of the glossy paint.
View attachment DSCF3521.JPG

drivers side rear still needs a little more wet sanding to dull the paint and get it ready for the pearl
View attachment DSCF3520.JPG

Ahhh the hood, just say that I'm going to be wet sanding skeeter legs off for a while. this is where the worst area is of "leg work" that I have to do
View attachment DSCF3522.JPG

all in all I'm extremely satisfied with the paint job. and glad to be able to get back to work on it.

Damn I need to get working on my cars yours looks great.

thanks but
IT's the Wife's fault blame it on her.:glasses7:
maybe it will (look good to me) once I get it down on the wheels and start putting things together. Right now all I see is a ton more work. shooting the pearl , getting carpet, installing top (after I make replacement header seal channels) weatherstripping,A/c, wiring,rebuilding the slant, working on the led tail light some more. re-wiring the seats to work yada.. yada.. yada.. you know the drill. the list just goes on and on. seem like I'm never gonna get done. but the paint is starting to look good.
1 down and a trillion other things to do.

I keep on getting good parts for her dart and she keeps pushing and asking when the heck am I going to get done with mine so SHE can have hers done her way.
I'm basically lazy as all get out and won't work till I'm forced to. BUT the "Force" is with me daily, so I gotta work!

thanks 65dartcharger

96 Sebring convertible with integrated seat belts is what they are.
I do like the way they sit in the car. and it is comfortable too!
I found that the front and rear seats from a 96-97 Sebring convertible work and fit almost perfectly.
In the rear section I had a 5 inch riser sheet bent up and notched it for the tunnel to get the angle correct to sit in (not that I'm ever going to be in the back seat riding around). tacked it in and used the stock lower plastic and metal mounts from the 96 sebring. the top of the rear seat is 1 1/2 inch taller and 1 inch wider than the stock rear seat so I had to get the back mounting brace for the 96 sebring and adjust the seat foam on the sides slightly. The top I'm leaving alone because it's let me get the top boot looking a little better (custom boot and well) and I will not need to crunch up the top so bad when it's lowered.
I understand that you can use up to a 2000 Sebring convertible but have to get the 96-7 wiring harness to get the seat belts working .
if your doing a hardtop or sedan conversion you don't need to rob a convertible but can use the standard Sebring seats without the integrates seatbelts
I scored these for 25 bucks a seat and 15 bucks for the harness to work the seatbelts. . there was a leather set in the yard also for the same price, but then I realized that.
1. I have a convertible and the top would be down most of the time.
2. I live in Florida.
3 refer to #1 and 2 IT'S HOT and leather would fry me because I'd forget and just jump in without thinking about it , heck I did it on the old 75 goldwing I'm working on. got off that bike awful quick and walked bow legged for a while. soooo cloth it is.

thanks 65dartcharger

96 Sebring convertible with integrated seat belts is what they are.
I do like the way they sit in the car. and it is comfortable too!
I found that the front and rear seats from a 96-97 Sebring convertible work and fit almost perfectly.
In the rear section I had a 5 inch riser sheet bent up and notched it for the tunnel to get the angle correct to sit in (not that I'm ever going to be in the back seat riding around). tacked it in and used the stock lower plastic and metal mounts from the 96 sebring. the top of the rear seat is 1 1/2 inch taller and 1 inch wider than the stock rear seat so I had to get the back mounting brace for the 96 sebring and adjust the seat foam on the sides slightly. The top I'm leaving alone because it's let me get the top boot looking a little better (custom boot and well) and I will not need to crunch up the top so bad when it's lowered.
I understand that you can use up to a 2000 Sebring convertible but have to get the 96-7 wiring harness to get the seat belts working .
if your doing a hardtop or sedan conversion you don't need to rob a convertible but can use the standard Sebring seats without the integrates seatbelts
I scored these for 25 bucks a seat and 15 bucks for the harness to work the seatbelts. . there was a leather set in the yard also for the same price, but then I realized that.
1. I have a convertible and the top would be down most of the time.
2. I live in Florida.
3 refer to #1 and 2 IT'S HOT and leather would fry me because I'd forget and just jump in without thinking about it , heck I did it on the old 75 goldwing I'm working on. got off that bike awful quick and walked bow legged for a while. soooo cloth it is.

Hey, you have better conditions for the top down most of the time. I wish we had too!

yup got that right. 65dartcharger. I love the weather here in Florida even the HOT month's, I was a furnace operator up in Michigan . I took the job in Michigan just to stay warm in the winter and got so used to working in the heat all the time that if it get's the least bit cold I am in trouble!

any way I got bored waiting on parts and paints to arrive(and saving some more money up) so I decided to do a little work on the trunk since I have some thin 1/4 inch ply just laying around. I'll be covering the trunk in a dark chocolate brown color the came or as close to it as I can to match the carpet that going in the car.

cardboard test panels for the back side(or front depending on how you look at it)
View attachment DSCF3527.jpg

Gas tank side. but I might go with a padded velcro together cloth or vinyl cover for the gas filler tube. have not mad up my mind about that yet
View attachment DSCF3528.jpg

this is why I might just go with a filler tube cover. looks kind funky ugly.
View attachment DSCF3529.jpg

looks ok in 1/4 inch
View attachment DSCF3534.jpg

this sides a solid fit and will be velcro'd on
View attachment DSCF3533.jpg

oops forgto to leave enough room to wrap clothe around the edge. just started to do that on this panel.
View attachment DSCF3536.jpg

got the back side done on . looks nice and I'm going to velcre this piece in too! tested teh cluth(used a towel about as thick as the material I'm thinking of using and have plenty of room to wrap and glue it to the panel in back, the sides I have to relieve a little more and straighten out my cuts caused by my wiggley sabre saw(hey it's 30 years old and sort of wore out) Wan't me doing it that bad:glasses7:
View attachment DSCF3535.jpg

I haven't made up(or figured it out yet) the raised floor yet to accommodate the larger rally tire and rim that will be going in the well but I'm thinking about it hard .

Today I scored it big time and found some vinyl that matched the dash perfectly. at 50% off too!
I just had to see what it looked like installed.
here's what I started with. not cracked to bad and smooth.
View attachment DSCF3590.jpg

a little rusty inside but usable.
View attachment DSCF3591.jpg
hmmmm looking good to me!
View attachment DSCF3592.jpg
I didn't want a contoured dash pad so I padded it with some thin foam to smooth out the curve in the top of the dash, I'll do another one with the curve to see which one fit's better with my interior.
View attachment DSCF3593.jpg

View attachment DSCF3594.jpg

yup color looks gooooooooood :supz:
View attachment DSCF3595.jpg

now all I have to do is find my end pieces and paint them to match and the dash will be ready to have the instrument clusters installed.

MAN I am so stoked! I was able to drop the dart down today on all 4 so I could see how my work was going. Wellll..... she sit's a little High(alright a LOT high) so 2 inch lowering blocks are going on the rear to drop it down to an acceptable level. but it looks AWESOME to me seeing the car down on wheels for the first time in 2 years.

I just wish it was a really bright sunny day and I could take a picture of the pearl popin out. maybe later this week.

anyway here she is on wheels.

3 14's and a 15 (right front) since one of my 14's needs to be mounted still
whoof!! dang it's high. but it clears 275/60-14's that way in the rear. when I drop it down I'll probably have to swap out to the 245/60/ 14 tires just so it doesn't rub on the corners. but I do still have 3/8th inch clearance with the tire jacked up into the wheel well so I might be safe unless I put someone in the back seat.
View attachment DSCF3632.jpg

that 15 on the front just STUFF'S the wheel well full. I might have to see if I can find a matching 14 that's that big, after I check lock to lock steering to see if it'll rub

View attachment DSCF3633.jpg

hmmm nice view, I still have to take the front suspension off again to pop the engine in and replace the torsion bars and boots for the bars. Also have to level the torsion bars side to side since they were completely removed, but it does begin to look like a car!
View attachment DSCF3634.jpg

paint came out a lot better than I expected. last timew I shoot a car was in 93 and it was not 2k paint. the learning process was steep needless oto say!
View attachment DSCF3635.jpg

body came out a lot straighter than it went in with, mind you not perfect but as good as I could get it. now that I have done the car I can critique it and see where I made mistakes and flaws that I won't do on the wife's dart.
View attachment DSCF3636.jpg

wish it was sunny. when the shop lights hit that pearl it just glows. so It looks plain jane until the light hit then it pop's up glitter. love it!
View attachment DSCF3637.jpg

I'm waiting on parts again! but the cool thing about it is I can do the test fitting stuff and make any fixes before I start working on the engine and tranny install. I test fitted the seats again along with the dash pad and put the wiring harness somewhat close to where it will install. It's starting to look like a car again!

thos seats fit great~!
View attachment DSCF3650.JPG

View attachment DSCF3651.JPG

View attachment DSCF3652.JPG

I still have a little corner fill work to do. now that I've got it close to going back together I'm going to have to jump on that part.
View attachment DSCF3653.JPG

the rear seat don't really sit up much higher than the stock unit after looking at a couple of other convertibles. I might get away with a stock top boot and well liner. when I get to that part I'll see what needs to be done.
View attachment DSCF3655.JPG

View attachment DSCF3656.JPG

-
Back