6pakattack Time

-
But, but, but.... down the road, when you get tired of running 13's with that thing, and finally decode you REALLY NEED 400+ horsepower (G) it's gonna be tough to saw that new bumper to make room for the intercooler... LOL!

Nice job capping off your bumpers !!!I actually like that split look !!:blob:

LMFAO Bill !!! Then I'll just get a fiberglass one and lighten the badd boy up !!!I'm waiting to see what the final numbers come in at,hopefully this week !! Hopefully I'll be hooking up with Frank towards the middle/end of this week in Ocala to pick up the head he's got for me !!! THEN,I'll be better off on my decision !! One set up I've always had a fascination with is the STS Turbo ! I know it works in numerous other applications,I may just have to dig a little further !!

http://ststurbo.com/bolt_on_turbo_systems

I tried for weeks, to find a supplier that offered a fiberglass front bumper for our car, with no success. This steel one weighs a ton, even with the center (intercooler) section removed. We have a look-alike (sort of) lightweight plastic split bumper that we have thought about using. It probably won't look much like the original, but the whole thing weighs probably, 2 pounds... I like the front bumper on Mark's Mad Max car.... I think it's actually a back bumper cover off a Pacifica... It's LIGHT; that's the important thing.

It'll (the plastic one) probably end up on the car, since form follows function on this ol' tub... Of we were interested in cosmetics, it would be a 2-door...

That STS deal looks like a good way to go; no cramped engine compartment... On a street car, it may exhibit some turbo-lag, but probably not much. On a race car, that wouldn't be a problem.

The price ($1,995.00) for a universal kit is really cheap, I think. It's not a comprehensive kit, but still, it covers most of the expensive stuff you'd have to buy, otherwise.

I like it! :blob:

We took delivery of some stronger, aftermarket axles (Yukon,) this week and are working on getting them installed in the B-body 8.75" rear we have in the car.

And, the fuel line and return line are routed, and the filters and pump installed.

Now, the wiring... sigh...

It's always something....:banghead:

Oh, and thanks for the kind words RE: the bumper end-caps. It really needed something there...

Attachments

• 100_3642.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 333
Well,got the chance to see one of my pistons set up in the cylinder today !!!Everyone wonders how far down in the hole it sets !!! Guess what,it doesn't !!!:blob: It's actually about .0200 above deck,with a 59.4cc head !!So depending where Franks head is, I may just be looking at a Non Pump Gas motor !!!:D Oh Darn !!!:toothy7::toothy7:

Well,got the chance to see one of my pistons set up in the cylinder today !!!Everyone wonders how far down in the hole it sets !!! Guess what,it doesn't !!!:blob: It's actually about .0200 above deck,with a 59.4cc head !!So depending where Franks head is, I may just be looking at a Non Pump Gas motor !!!:D Oh Darn !!!:toothy7::toothy7:

Our pistons are .167" down in the hole. Our head and block have the original, factory-machined surfaces on them (neither has been milled, ever) and our combustion chambers have not been modified.

Our compression ratio (measured) is 9:1.

Yours is anybody's guess, at this point (who knows what Frank did?) but it's probably gonna be righteously high, I would think.

That's good news for a normally-aspirated motor!

Let us know what your final calculations are; gonna be interesting!! :)

My builder did say he cc'd the head that I currently have,and it's right about 59.4 !! So with that being said,with the fact of having a strong bottom end,the STS may just be doable !! But I still want to see where Franks head puts me !! I'll know better by Friday if he's going to be able to meet up or not !!I know his wife is REALLY wanting to come see MY wife's 'Cuda !! I could hear her in the backgroung when Frank and I were talking !! I had to chuckle !!

My builder did say he cc'd the head that I currently have,and it's right about 59.4 !! So with that being said,with the fact of having a strong bottom end,the STS may just be doable !! But I still want to see where Franks head puts me !! I'll know better by Friday if he's going to be able to meet up or not !!I know his wife is REALLY wanting to come see MY wife's 'Cuda !! I could hear her in the backgroung when Frank and I were talking !! I had to chuckle !!

If your measured compression ratio is over 9:1, I'd think twice about using any kind of forced induction on that motor. I suppose, you could remove some off the tops of the pistons and hog out the combustion chambers, but speculation is worthless until we know what the real deal is, on compression.

Good luck....:D

Say Hi to Frank and Cinda for me!

Bill once dennis gets his true compression and decides to put a power adder on, he can always order a special order gasket to whatever thickness he wants to achieve the desired CC
just my three cent opinion
Aaron

Bill once dennis gets his true compression and decides to put a power adder on, he can always order a special order gasket to whatever thickness he wants to achieve the desired CC
just my three cent opinion
Aaron

I sort of thought that he might be able to do that, but cylinder pressure under boost can be hard to contain; I was apprehensive that the thicker a gasket is, the harder time it might have, containing that pressure,

Then again, maybe it wouldn't be a problem; I'm probably just borrowing trouble...:glasses7:

How goes the TOAD???????

I sort of thought that he might be able to do that, but cylinder pressure under boost can be hard to contain; I was apprehensive that the thicker a gasket is, the harder time it might have, containing that pressure,

Then again, maybe it wouldn't be a problem; I'm probably just borrowing trouble...:glasses7:

How goes the TOAD???????

There is always the option of O-ringing !!!:D

There is always the option of O-ringing !!!:D

That (O-ringing) is definitely the way to go, but I am not sure how well it will work with a thick gasket. If it's a copper gasket and a steel O-ring, the O-ring might just embed itself in the thick gasket and fail to provide the high-pressure area that is needed to seal the combustion gasses.

I dunno...

Well POOP,wasn't able to hook up with Frank due to personal reasons,but I did however get a sneak peak at my head !!! What a Tease he is !! I did however come home to a present of a Crank Scraper and a Windage tray from Mike Jeffries !! Woo Hoo,gettin closer !! Also got a phone number for some more professional help on my /6 !!!:blob::blob::blob:

Got an idea of numbers with my current head,looks that it comes in right at 9.5:1 !!Soooooooooo,I guess now is the time to make a decision !!! I so hate decision making times !!!

Do I or do I not BOOST ???:D I still don't have Franks numbers yet !!!

If it was my decision dennis I'd look into a supercharger I'm sure u no I'm doing a Turbo build and wouldn't have it Any other way but u have some very nice pieces of hardware intakes/headers with a Turbo the only piece you would probably beable to use would be one of the Offy intakes like the one you got from me.But with a supercharger you could use any combination of parts you have.
Just my opinion
Aaron

Yeah,I've thought about that too !!!!:D:D

I don't think that forced induction is a very good choice for any car like ours with 9.5:1 compression.

New cars with fast-burn combustion chambers, computerized fuel injection, direct injection, knock sensors, flex-fuel systems (e-85) and digital spark systems that are factory-tailored for that particular engine's state of tune can get away with it... I don't think that most slant six setups can.

You might be able to run some supercharger or turbo system that gives you 6 or 7 pounds of boost without incident, but you can get that kind of power easily, normally-aspirated.

Idealy, I think about 8.5:1 is optimum for running significant amounts of boost with this engine. And utilizing all the octane-crutches available to we slant-6 racers have at our disposal (intercoolers, ancillary alcohol injection, spark retard, race gas, and a well-tuned fuel system,) we are probably pushing it with our 9:1 combo.

We don't have an O-ringed block, and if we get by with 20 pounds of boost without blowing a head gasket, I will be very happy and very surprised!:blob:

Just my 2-cents...

Got one more piece of the puzzle ordered today !! Got a 727 with a manual shift valve body,with deep tranny pan,and 3500 stall speed converter and a Gear Venders OD unit !! :cheers:

Got one more piece of the puzzle ordered today !! Got a 727 with a manual shift valve body,with deep tranny pan,and 3500 stall speed converter and a Gear Venders OD unit !! :cheers:

Dennis, I'm wondering if you are aware that a 727 behind a slant 6 compared to a 904 is anywhere from .15 to .20-seconds slower in a quarter of a mile? The additional rotating weight of the bigger, heftier internal components, plus the extra heft of the transmission itself is what slows them down.

A 727 is definitely the stronger transmission of the two, but a 904, properly built can handle up to 600 HP, with reliability.

The one in my supercharged 360 Magnum (445 RWHP) has no real upgrades beyond a better-ratio shift (band) lever and a Trans-Go manual valve body, and it exhibits no strain in handling the torque of that V8.

Pulls that 3,500-pound caar to mid-11's with crisp shifts.

Additionally, a 2.74:1 1st-gear planetary gearset for a 904 is dirt cheap (you might want to consider one) while I don't think the 727's have the availability of (cheap) OEM 2.74:1 units... Could be wrong about that. I'd look into that if I were you.

I know you are interested in making your car as fast as it is reasonable posible.

I'd think about that 727 before I hitched it to that slant 6....

Just sayin'...

I still have the 904 that came out of the Dart if I end up not liking the 727 !!

Well, I'd think real hard about that; if you want your car to "kick some ***" like you initially said, the 904 will be your friend. Ask Ryan; his car runs 127 miles an hour, not because of, but in spite of that 727 he has...

He's thinking hard about pulling it out and replacing it wilth a 904 for the 2012 season.

Lots easier to do it now, than down th road. That Gear Vendors unit will likely fit either transmission witn minimal changes. Just a guess...

Woo Hoo,all that needs to be done is get the sheet metal for the flip top gas cap welded in,and my baby will be ready for the spray booth !!! Looks like it may be ready towards the end of this week !!! Time to get my other parts organized in my Garagemahall !!!

-
Back