73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Nice looking stuff Ross. I vote for the lower mount for the alternator, I think it looks more balanced and kinda hides it, leaving all that pretty work you have done on display. Just my 2cents worth.

Bob

Nice looking stuff Ross. I vote for the lower mount for the alternator, I think it looks more balanced and kinda hides it, leaving all that pretty work you have done on display. Just my 2cents worth.

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the .02, I started the first plexiglass test bracket today to get things started.... down low of course. Yea, it's going be a shame to paint and powder coat most of that billet stuff.

Y powder coat billet parts?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Easy Cleaning ... There is no way I'm going to try keeping up with polishing all that Aluminum especially where it's at in location to the car and access to it once it's installed. Did that dance once with a Road Runner with 1/3 of the Aluminum parts this motor has and that was a huge pain in the ***. I'm a more wash and go kind of guy these days.

I had some time today for Mock up and try to figure out the Alternator Bracket...made some progress on that, which consisted of throwing out what I started and going a totally different direction, if my idea's pan out it should be pretty trick when done. As you can see I decided to bolt the HDK K frame up, unfortunately I had to remove the Power Steering Rack to get it to fit around the engine cart but everything looks like it will have plenty of room and not interfere with other parts. I also set the Valve covers and induction system on to get a better idea for the Power Steering Reservoir's potential mounting location, it's either here or on the Radiator support next to the Radiator hidden under the front cover. Enjoy the pics...

Attachments

• duster 006.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 924
  • duster 014.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 922
  • duster 007.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 910
  • duster 003.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 905
  • duster 013.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 899
  • duster 018.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 879
  • duster 025.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 888
  • duster 021.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 891
That's the plan as long as they can guarantee me it wont yellow overtime, if not we 'll go from there, I have a few more colors in mind.

My coater has a UV Clear coat now. Plus he's in Monroe, MI which isn't far from you. Look up Jeff's Powder Coating online and I'm sure he could send a sample.

Riddler

My coater has a UV Clear coat now. Plus he's in Monroe, MI which isn't far from you. Look up Jeff's Powder Coating online and I'm sure he could send a sample.

Riddler

Thanks,
If he has it then maybe some of the local guys I use have or can get it also. I'll check into it .

Yes there is stuff out there now that won't yellow. Loved the pics, very nice setup. It's ashame it will mostly be hidden, tucked away in an engine compartment. But we get to see it in all its glory now.

Yes there is stuff out there now that won't yellow. Loved the pics, very nice setup. It's ashame it will mostly be hidden, tucked away in an engine compartment. But we get to see it in all its glory now.

Looking down the road to a completed car, I am planning an air cleaner/ engine cover that will go from the Radiator to firewall and valve cover to valve cover so bye-bye to all the little detail's...

I really want a cart like that for my suspension/engine so I can install from under the car. I'll most likely just use wood as I'll only need it a few times.

Riddler

I really want a cart like that for my suspension/engine so I can install from under the car. I'll most likely just use wood as I'll only need it a few times.

Riddler

I'm going to hopefully borrow the one I made for HemiMark when the time comes.

Wat system r u using to mount your alternator cause I'm looking into doing a similar system with my dart because of the motor plate I'm using to mount the engine instead of motor mounts.

Wat system r u using to mount your alternator cause I'm looking into doing a similar system with my dart because of the motor plate I'm using to mount the engine instead of motor mounts.

As with everything else on the front, I will custom make it from .500" 7075 T-6 Aluminum, In your case using a full motor plate, I have seen guys machine the adjustment slot into the plate and mount directly to it which I will basically be doing also, if you get that far all you will need is the correct spacers to align everything. I did a quick inter-webs search and found this, since your running a Big Block you have another option, like a low mount alternator kits for Mopar engines that utilize the timing cover as the mounting point ...that might be a better and easier way to go. Here's one I found through Mancini for $102.00 the only draw back I see is you have to run a Mini Alternator.
mancini-racing-alternator-bracket-9.jpg

i stumbled upon this thread just searching some topics and was hooked immediately. i just skimmed through all 124 pages. Although seeing all the work done and getting to here(still working on it) is like watching the first couple seasons of a show and getting to the current one, and now you have to wait like everyone else to see how it ends.

Killer build, the craftsmanship is truly enviable.

i stumbled upon this thread just searching some topics and was hooked immediately. i just skimmed through all 124 pages. Although seeing all the work done and getting to here(still working on it) is like watching the first couple seasons of a show and getting to the current one, and now you have to wait like everyone else to see how it ends.

Killer build, the craftsmanship is truly enviable.

Thanks for the encouraging comment....trust me I wish it was the season Finale myself for all our sakes.

i probably flew past it skimming through all the pages- what is the verdict for paint? will it still be B3 blue?

i probably flew past it skimming through all the pages- what is the verdict for paint? will it still be B3 blue?

It definitely will not be Basin blue (B-3) anymore.....I think I have changed my mind about 6 times on color ...Once painted I think I will start a brand New thread without B-3 or 73' in the title since both are a thing of the past. I'm still weighing a couple options as far as colors go and have actually hired a professional artist to create a rendering in a couple color choices and a unique stripe idea I have, I should have the initial rough draft within the few days according to the artist.

-
Back