73 Duster build named Fred

-
It’s probably been mentioned but what radiator, shroud, fan combo is that? Looks awesome.

Sounds really good. And it looks like the fenders and windshield area are painted now. I will miss the brown but I still love this build.

Sounds really good. And it looks like the fenders and windshield area are painted now. I will miss the brown but I still love this build.
Yeah, I thought long and hard about keeping the original color but I just wasn’t feeling it. I started to paint it F4 green but ultimately decided to go with my favorite color, billet silver. Went with matte finish so I don’t have to be perfect with the body work…. lol

Yeah, I thought long and hard about keeping the original color but I just wasn’t feeling it. I started to paint it F4 green but ultimately decided to go with my favorite color, billet silver. Went with matte finish so I don’t have to be perfect with the body work…. lol
1970 F4 ?

Well ****…. That didn’t last long. Took it for a drive today to heat cycle the gears. When it picked up a slight miss around the corner from home so I headed back. As soon as I pulled in front of the shop, I heard a loud bang and it really started miss firing and I shut it off. Checked all the normal stuff and everything looked good until I pulled the valve covers. Looks like a nut backed off a rocker shaft stud and the shard snapped. So far what I have found to be damaged is the rocker shaft (obviously), 2 rocker arms and 1 pushrod. Found the keeper, nut and washer in the valve cover. I’m contemplating pulling the engine and doing a complete reason just so I can have a piece of mind knowing there isn’t any shrapnel somewhere.

What pisses me off more than anything is still no burnouts. In fact, I was only on my 2nd heat cycle so I haven’t gotten after it yet. Probably a good thing as I’m certain the carnage would have been worse at high rpm’s.

IMG_1774.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg

Well ****…. That didn’t last long. Took it for a drive today to heat cycle the gears. When it picked up a slight miss around the corner from home so I headed back. As soon as I pulled in front of the shop, I heard a loud bang and it really started miss firing and I shut it off. Checked all the normal stuff and everything looked good until I pulled the valve covers. Looks like a nut backed off a rocker shaft stud and the shard snapped. So far what I have found to be damaged is the rocker shaft (obviously), 2 rocker arms and 1 pushrod. Found the keeper, nut and washer in the valve cover. I’m contemplating pulling the engine and doing a complete reason just so I can have a piece of mind knowing there isn’t any shrapnel somewhere.

What pisses me off more than anything is still no burnouts. In fact, I was only on my 2nd heat cycle so I haven’t gotten after it yet. Probably a good thing as I’m certain the carnage would have been worse at high rpm’s.
View attachment 1716159817

View attachment 1716159818

View attachment 1716159819
Oh ****, that fuckin sucks.
I broke 2 rocker shafts from harland sharp already.
Yes that pisses me off for you

Damn, that's a shame. I have been fortunate of that to not happen to me on any of the group of cars that I have my hands on. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Hope its nothing major, but being it happened without much running makes me wonder if it was a weak part, or something go over looked during assembly.

Hope its nothing major, but being it happened without much running makes me wonder if it was a weak part, or something go over looked during assembly.
My initial thoughts are that the nut backed off the stud due to not being torque properly or the threads got ripped out of the nut or stud (part failure). I’ll know more after I inspect everything later today.

What a sad sight…. lol

The nut definitely backed off causing the carnage. In fact, that entire bank wasn’t fully torqued. Damage so far is 3 rockers, 4 adjusters, 4 pushrods and of course the rocker shaft. Won’t know more until I tear the engine apart and check everything else.

Here’s the good news…. I called Harland Sharp and explained what happened, including the fact that the nut backed off the stud triggering the carnage. They told me to box everything up and they will take care of me with the parts to get me going again. Talk about amazing customer service, especially with it not even being their part that caused the failure! They have earned a customer for life!

IMG_1788.jpeg

72039565113__45699263-BA73-430A-9610-113F13C632D1.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

72039832377__B71ACDA7-783B-4BC3-AE9F-2D0B4CF0ADA7.jpeg

72039834691__55A3CA94-6CB1-419C-A8F4-C59862EC725B.jpeg

What a sad sight…. lol

The nut definitely backed off causing the carnage. In fact, that entire bank wasn’t fully torqued. Damage so far is 3 rockers, 4 adjusters, 4 pushrods and of course the rocker shaft. Won’t know more until I tear the engine apart and check everything else.

Here’s the good news…. I called Harland Sharp and explained what happened, including the fact that the nut backed off the stud triggering the carnage. They told me to box everything up and they will take care of me with the parts to get me going again. Talk about amazing customer service, especially with it not even being their part that caused the failure! They have earned a customer for life!

View attachment 1716160258

View attachment 1716160259

View attachment 1716160260

View attachment 1716160261

View attachment 1716160262
Who built your stuff?
Cuz that's some lame **** and shoot I should've called harland sharp when my shafts broke....but it wasn't the shafts fault it was the original dude who built my engine

Who built your stuff?
Cuz that's some lame **** and shoot I should've called harland sharp when my shafts broke....but it wasn't the shafts fault it was the original dude who built my engine
I could be wrong…. The other studs could have stretched or come loose from the strain. Who knows for sure what happened at this point. I blame the builder but we are all human. Had I built it myself, there could have been something missed. Now that it’s all in the past, I am going to tear it down, inspect everything and put it back together over the winter. When the tracks open, I’ll be confident this car will run a number that I will be happy with.

-
Back