73 Duster build named Fred

-
I could be wrong…. The other studs could have stretched or come loose from the strain. Who knows for sure what happened at this point. I blame the builder but we are all human. Had I built it myself, there could have been something missed. Now that it’s all in the past, I am going to tear it down, inspect everything and put it back together over the winter. When the tracks open, I’ll be confident this car will run a number that I will be happy with.
Yep, that's the best way to know.
I have an oil leak on my super stock pan that I need to address, while it's off ill be checking main and rod bearings and I'm really curious about my piston coating. It would be nice to see how that almost $400.00 held up.
(Not that I need another expense or added thing to do to get my car done)

I could be wrong…. The other studs could have stretched or come loose from the strain. Who knows for sure what happened at this point. I blame the builder but we are all human. Had I built it myself, there could have been something missed. Now that it’s all in the past, I am going to tear it down, inspect everything and put it back together over the winter. When the tracks open, I’ll be confident this car will run a number that I will be happy with.
My bolts pulled out of the heads, the idiot put in some bolts that only had .200 thread engagement when there's about an inch. I have studs now

My bolts pulled out of the heads, the idiot put in some bolts that only had .200 thread engagement when there's about an inch. I have studs now
I might be overthinking this I’m half tempted to helicoil the rocker shaft hold down holes because they were loose. I’ll try torquing them down first and see how they feel.

I might be overthinking this I’m half tempted to helicoil the rocker shaft hold down holes because they were loose. I’ll try torquing them down first and see how they feel.
I put some blue loctite on my studs and the have not moved, plus like I mentioned I had a few threads strip out but you can't go wrong with the helicoils, I'm surprised trick flow didn't do it

I like both of those ideas. Shouldn't have high stress bolts in naked aluminum and blue loctite for insurance, it's not like you have to pull the studs every time.

What a sad sight…. lol

The nut definitely backed off causing the carnage. In fact, that entire bank wasn’t fully torqued. Damage so far is 3 rockers, 4 adjusters, 4 pushrods and of course the rocker shaft. Won’t know more until I tear the engine apart and check everything else.

Here’s the good news…. I called Harland Sharp and explained what happened, including the fact that the nut backed off the stud triggering the carnage. They told me to box everything up and they will take care of me with the parts to get me going again. Talk about amazing customer service, especially with it not even being their part that caused the failure! They have earned a customer for life!

View attachment 1716160258

View attachment 1716160259

View attachment 1716160260

View attachment 1716160261

View attachment 1716160262
The other bright side is this happened in late October and not the first spring event, sometimes it pays to get stuff done early!.

Good news. Engine is out and no additional issues found. Spoke to the builder and the rocker shafts were torqued to the factory spec 17-18 ft lbs and not the Trick Flow spec for their studs which is 25 ft lbs so now I think I am confident I know what happened. New parts are coming (4 pushrods and a half set of Harland Sharp rockers with shaft.) Engine will go back together with the Trick Flow intake as I am sending John the 340 to do his magic and back in the car next weekend. Hopefully weather will get better so I can finish heat cycling the rear gears and get my burnout video.... lol

By the way, look at how good the intake gaskets match up to the ports on the heads....

IMG_1811.jpeg

IMG_1810.jpeg

IMG_1809.jpeg

Good news. Engine is out and no additional issues found. Spoke to the builder and the rocker shafts were torqued to the factory spec 17-18 ft lbs and not the Trick Flow spec for their studs which is 25 ft lbs so now I think I am confident I know what happened. New parts are coming (4 pushrods and a half set of Harland Sharp rockers with shaft.) Engine will go back together with the Trick Flow intake as I am sending John the 340 to do his magic and back in the car next weekend. Hopefully weather will get better so I can finish heat cycling the rear gears and get my burnout video.... lol

By the way, look at how good the intake gaskets match up to the ports on the heads....

View attachment 1716162312

View attachment 1716162313

View attachment 1716162314
Is that old race hemi orange?
You did all that work and you're going to cut out the inner fenderwell later ?
That sounds like some stuff I do lol.
Not on my junker this time, I needed that steel for other parts on the car

Is that old race hemi orange?
You did all that work and you're going to cut out the inner fenderwell later ?
That sounds like some stuff I do lol.
Not on my junker this time, I needed that steel for other parts on the car
Yes, Hemi orange.

Inner fenders will stay on until next winter when I go crazy and go full tub/big tire. lol

Just got a call from Harland Sharp. My replacement parts are getting shipped today and I will have them before the weekend. I can't begin to say enough about the amazing level of support I got from Randy Jr and the team at Harland Sharp. I might have said it before but I will say it again.... They have earned a customer for life.

Just got a call from Harland Sharp. My replacement parts are getting shipped today and I will have them before the weekend. I can't begin to say enough about the amazing level of support I got from Randy Jr and the team at Harland Sharp. I might have said it before but I will say it again.... They have earned a customer for life.
That's great

I think Bill is just trying to embarrass my big block when he comes back to Yakima

UPS dropped off a few boxes today. I went straight for the QA1 stuff as I wanted to get them installed tonight which I did but there were a couple of boxes I hadn’t opened yet and one was from Harland Sharp. Unbelievable the customer service I received from them. Even though the damage to the rockers wasn’t their fault, they came through just like they said they would and sent a whole side, free of charge. I asked for expedited shipping which I paid for but otherwise, this is what they sent!

IMG_1837.jpeg

-
Back