73 Duster build named Fred

-
Okay, does the 13 feel weird to you . That seems small but I'm used to my 16 or 17 in my ram lol
I haven’t driven the car with this wheel yet but initial thoughts is I will like it as long as my manual steering isn’t too heavy. A 15” puts my arm too close to the door bar.

Thinking it's perfect burnout weather right now.... Now if I could only find someone to video. lol

Well, since the roads were too wet to do any tuning today, I decided to lower the ride height in the rear. I think it needs about 1/4" more to be perfect and since I need to correct the pinion angle now, a correction shim might get it there.
tempImageJWgCHp.png

tempImageRFOoId.png

tempImagepu52br.png

tempImagePf1jmZ.png

What Calvert springs did you buy stock or 1" lower? Also what did did you set your pinion angle to? I've always set mine to 1* negative but when I did that with the Calvert setup I had a hellish vibration. I ended up cutting the perches off and setting it to 4* negative. Unfortunately Calvert lists the 4* negative on their website but not in their instructions.

What Calvert springs did you buy stock or 1" lower? Also what did did you set your pinion angle to? I've always set mine to 1* negative but when I did that with the Calvert setup I had a hellish vibration. I ended up cutting the perches off and setting it to 4* negative. Unfortunately Calvert lists the 4* negative on their website but not in their instructions.
I went with the standard height split mono leafs. Dropped an inch by going from the middle hole to the upper on my inboard springs perch.

I originally had the pinion angle set to point down 4 degrees. Now that I moved the front of the springs up, that changed to about 2 degrees so I need to add a correction shim.

lol, wish I could do metal work like you…. Poor Fred will gain some weight when I do the body and paint this winter. :lol:
It's hard to tell what's under the paint but Fred looks like it will be pretty straightforward.
Do you have a stud welder? That will make some of your dents a breeze.

It's hard to tell what's under the paint but Fred looks like it will be pretty straightforward.
Do you have a stud welder? That will make some of your dents a breeze.

I bought a Harbor freight one after my son wrecked my duster. I hope it simplifies things for me.

I

I may have to get one.
Big time saver. Weld one on & pull the slide hammer, if you have a high spot by the dent, then pull the stud without using slide hammer and use a hammer to tap on the high spot.... simple now you're a pro

Big time saver. Weld one on & pull the slide hammer, if you have a high spot by the dent, then pull the stud without using slide hammer and use a hammer to tap on the high spot.... simple now you're a pro
Did I mention I hate body work? lol

Bill, do you really really like the steering column?
I like it but not really really… lol

Couple of things…. The plate at the bottom wasn’t quite big enough to cover the opening in the firewall and the column is too long in my opinion. Easy fix by adding a little sheet of aluminum to cover the gap, pulled the shaft and upper bearing and cut 4” off of the tube, reinstalled the bearing and shaft, then cut the shaft to length, welded on the coupler and now it’s perfect.

If I wasn’t lazy, I could have made my own but for the price, it isn’t a bad option.

I like it but not really really… lol

Couple of things…. The plate at the bottom wasn’t quite big enough to cover the opening in the firewall and the column is too long in my opinion. Easy fix by adding a little sheet of aluminum to cover the gap, pulled the shaft and upper bearing and cut 4” off of the tube, reinstalled the bearing and shaft, then cut the shaft to length, welded on the coupler and now it’s perfect.

If I wasn’t lazy, I could have made my own but for the price, it isn’t a bad option.
I think I might just get kit then since it seems you had to make it work. Thanks for the review lol

-
Back