74 power wagon dream truck...

-
If they were only easy to clean...:mob:..
I did the same thing, cases to machine shop, soak the gears for a couple days in a Rubbermaid container with mineral spirits. Spray the gears clean with brake cleaner.
Done

Went to the hardware store and got all new bolts and lock washers. Got some of the covers cleaned up and painted. Just have three little pigs LOL left to clean up. Have to get those scrubbed. I'll let them sit overnight in the solution. I didn't get a call on my case today so probably won't be till Monday at the earliest. I still have to pop the seals out of those three yolk housings and clean the outside as well..
IMG_20210430_141916.jpg
IMG_20210430_150437.jpg

I had been looking for a body mount bushing kit and having a hard time finding one with all the bushings I "thought" I needed... For whatever reason I keep thinking I needed them for the bed as well... Then I tried to think about the ones I took out???
Wait a minute!!??!!!... I didn't take any out!!!..
Well crap!!.. there's no bushings for a truck bed....:rolleyes:...

Went to the hardware store and got all new bolts and lock washers. Got some of the covers cleaned up and painted. Just have three little pigs LOL left to clean up. Have to get those scrubbed. I'll let them sit overnight in the solution. I didn't get a call on my case today so probably won't be till Monday at the earliest. I still have to pop the seals out of those three yolk housings and clean the outside as well..
View attachment 1715731183 View attachment 1715731186
Cleaning parts is not fun.........

Parts (transfer case) parts are all cleaned.. except the case at the machine shop.
I pressed the yoke seals in an extra 1/8 - 1/4 inch to get the seal away from the old groves..
The three seal covers are taped off and ready for paint tomorrow and in-between paint coats I'll be cleaning up the tools and parts cleaning area..
IMG_20210501_173854.jpg
IMG_20210501_173902.jpg
IMG_20210501_180956.jpg

The sun finally came over and of course it's starting to get overcast! ..... :BangHead:..
LOL...
IMG_20210505_131349.jpg

I thought it would be kind of cool with all the black under the truck to have that little gold nugget hanging down...

I taped off the area and then held the gasket over top of the tape and drew a line around the outside of the gasket and then cut that line out on the tape so it left a perfect gasket area...
IMG_20210505_155726.jpg

As I get ready to put this back together tomorrow I was noticing it only has one thin washer on the counter gear. A lot of pictures on the internet show too on each end behind the bearing. Between the bearing and the sleeve...
I see where it calls from .000 to .002 play...
I guess we'll just have to put it back in there and torque it down and see...

Some of the you boob videos I've been watching show people trying to put the roll pin in after the fact. I thought what if I got it started all the way to where it will hit the shifter rod but not quite there...
Put a inline mark at the end of the rod to know where the hole lines up at and put a depth mark as well to get it close...
Then once I have everything lined up use a straw from a brakes cleaner can and slick it through to get things lined up...
It worked fine...
IMG_20210506_090721.jpg
IMG_20210506_090731.jpg
IMG_20210506_091132.jpg

Good news...
I went by the powder coating shop for the frame today and they had the frame on a rack headed towards the sandblaster. I asked the kid that was right there and he said yeah it will be blasted today.. (I was really expecting it to be still pushed back in the corner with stuff stacked on it like it was before).. I went to the office to say hello to the owner and he said yeah it should be ready tomorrow if you have time (witch I don't)... So it looks like I might be able to pick it up first thing Monday morning...:thumbsup:...
Also I'm expecting the transfer case mounts today...

I did a Amazon order last night for some copper nickel brake line and fittings. my friend where I'm going to drop my duster off at has all the high-end tools for making double flares and straightening the line and bending. I'll try and borrow all that stuff for next week. He's going to let me keep my duster there for a week or so while I try to get the bottom half of the truck assembled...
first thing Monday morning I need to call the small sandblast powder coat shop that I dropped all my brackets off at and light a fire under them. Pretty much give them the ultimatum of either blast them by Tuesday at noon or I'm picking them up anyways.. they have all the u-bolt plates and the front leaf spring bushing mounts as well.. amongst other things...

Well it's been quite a morning. I think I just said in my last post my buddy took my car so I have full room inside my garage. I was told by the powder shop I could pick up the frame first thing Monday morning.
I hadn't heard from the other shop that has all my brackets for the shock mount plates and all that and tried calling them first thing in the morning no answer. I went down to their shop and said if they can't have it done by tomorrow which will be almost 2 weeks that I'll have to take it today and try and do it myself. They said they couldn't have it done and probably won't get to it till maybe Wednesday which would definitely be over 2 weeks. I grabbed the stuff and took it home. My plan is to go down today and buy a cheap Harbor Freight sandblaster and throw the stupid parts in and do it myself all for less than they were going to charge anyways.
So I called the powder coater just to make sure and they said no not till 11:00. I come down at 11:00 here I am with my trailer and it's not gone in the oven yet for it's clear coat but said come back in an hour and it should be baked.
Oh and don't forget to tell you that I got a message from the driveline place that has all four of my drive lines when they originally quoted me over the phone 300 to 450 I was like okay that's expensive but I can handle that. I get there and they quote me 575 to 600 I'm like wow that's expensive okay go ahead. and I get the phone call today that they've tear them all apart and they want $900! ...:BangHead::bs_flag:...
IMG_20210510_112322.jpg

Yikes! Is the driveline place playing you like a fish (not to be confused with a half a fish...)? Double to triple the price from an initial estimate is hard to follow.

Yikes! Is the driveline place playing you like a fish (not to be confused with a half a fish...)? Double to triple the price from an initial estimate is hard to follow.
Yes I called them back a couple times I was feeling that things are starting to get a little out of line for sure. They did discount a little bit but keep in mind this is four drivelines with a carrier bearing all brand new Spicer u-joints which obviously they double mark up.like anything it's hard to give a good quote on 50-year-old drivelines that haven't been inspected. I've paid $225 for one drive line to be lengthened or shortened with new service. They are talking about a new slip yoke and rebuilding and rewelding another drive line, again being 50 years old and never probably have been paid much attention to except for changing you joints.

Last edited:
When I converted our Jeep Grand Cherokee over to 5-speed manual, I had the front driveshaft shortened and a new rear built from scratch. The bill was $500 for the pair.

DriveShafts2.png

-
Back