74 power wagon dream truck...

-
My best friend warned me about the locker in the front... Honestly the only time I would ever use it would be in snow packed iced roads or in soft sand at the beach which may be less than a couple times a year...
Even when I put my sled deck on the back of my truck I rarely put it in four wheel drive...
You are asking to wreck the truck if you attempt to drive it on a snow packed icy road.

For now men it is what it is.. these axles are completely rebuilt and ready to go. I've got a hundred fish to fry with this truck and digging back into that front end that's 100% done at this point isn't going to happen especially for the once or twice I may need four-wheel drive to dig me out of a bad spot... Once the truck is up and running great in two wheel drive I can always pop that out of the front and change it...
I have to get my frame back from powder coating, paint the axles, take the small parts down for sandblasting and bring them home for paint, fine bushings for the front frame hangers, just ordered rear shackles with bushings, have to rebuild the transfer case, have it take down for hot tank and paint it and rebuild it, I have to rebuild the automatic transmission with a shift kit, I have to get my engine back from the machine shop and buy a stroker kit and put that totally together, I have to build a jig for the cab so I can start repairs on that, take it down for sandblasting weld in floor pans and any other part it needs, then take it and the doors down for paint, then have Windows put in the front and back, then put all the doors back together with new seals regulators and so forth, then rewire the entire truck, put in the heating and ac, then start in on the core support that needs sandblasted and repaired, assemble the front end, put a ton of work into the bed sandblasting painting and so forth, oh yeah and the twin sticks for the transfer case fabricate that in, and now I have to go back into a completely rebuild and done front Dana 60 and change the carrier out? COMPUTER OVERLOAD!!!..…

One step at a time buddy!! Keep up on the pics. :)
Yes I got to keep moving forward...
pullhair.gif
... LOL...

Yea I about gave up yesterday working on mine. I pulled the intake manifold to reseal it up. The Right Stuff gasket maker cured too quickly and I had to pull it all apart again and order yet another set of those felpro printoseal gaskets again. Major pain in the ***. I gotta be patient and just use the regular mega black or ultra black. And to hell with the standard style bolts, I ordered a set of the ARP bolts with the smaller hex head.
I’m so ready for my blower motor from IMM Engines, but he’s super busy. Hope he hasn’t forgotten about me.

More baby steps..
Took 30 small parts and two crossdcross members to the sandblaster...
IMG_20210426_121340.jpg

Took all Four drivelines in for complete rebuild/service... New Spicer non greasable u-joints, balance, paint.. the works..
Got a 1 5/16 socket to pull the yokes and counter shaft off the t-case..
I noticed the bushings that got sent with the front leaf springs fit perfectly in my front frame bushing. Sooo I called rough country and ordered a second set..
I'm not sure if I mentioned but I did order rear shackles with bushings...

So now, finish cleaning up the differential housings and paint them...
Disassemble transfer case and take it down for hot tank...
Get small parts back from sandblaster and paint them..
Reassemble and paint transfer case with the new twin stick shafts...
Then it'll be a matter of getting the frame back and the and the driveline is back and assembling everything..
NO PROBLEM, RIGHT?...

The box from my son's truck is going to the blaster tomorrow. If I never sand blast another thing outside of my blasting cabinet I'll be fine with that!

Cley

Yea I about gave up yesterday working on mine. I pulled the intake manifold to reseal it up. The Right Stuff gasket maker cured too quickly and I had to pull it all apart again and order yet another set of those felpro printoseal gaskets again. Major pain in the ***. I gotta be patient and just use the regular mega black or ultra black. And to hell with the standard style bolts, I ordered a set of the ARP bolts with the smaller hex head.
I’m so ready for my blower motor from IMM Engines, but he’s super busy. Hope he hasn’t forgotten about me.
I did that with a timing cover on the duster on a hot day... Cleaned it up, got a new gasket and tried again the next day.. still used "the right stuff black" again the next day...

I got a couple workbenches partially cleared today to start the disassembly tomorrow of the transfer case. I was able to take my inch and 5/16 socket and brake loose all three of the yokes... I also pulled off the shifter plate that connects the two shifters together and the inspection window.. things look good inside so that's nice to see...
If all goes well tomorrow and I'm able to get everything emptied out Thursday morning I want to take it down to have it hot tanked..
So that makes the engine block at the shop, the frame at the shop, the drive lines at the shop, and the small bracket pieces at the shop. Then Thursday lol the transfer case at the shop... Friday and plan to paint the actuals and wait for shops to call LOL...
IMG_20210427_163337.jpg
IMG_20210427_163932.jpg

:thumbsup:...

Ah, to be able to just write checks like that! Things would really happen then!

Cley
Unfortunately that's beyond my cash flow right now LOL.. I was counting on the engine not coming back from the machine shop too soon but he said they almost have it done and I was like oh crap!... Of course that's just the block prep.. I do have the money for the frame saved and the money for the sandblasting... If the drive lines come back too soon I'm in trouble! LOL and if the engine comes out anytime this month coming I'm in big big trouble! LOL..
I warned my wife I may be taking a little snippet from the savings for just a short time if things come back sooner than I can afford... Like I said things are going to hit a wall here pretty soon... Thank goodness I already bought the rebuild kit for the transfer case couple months ago...

You are just like me! I could moonlight as a juggler in a circus! Creative accounting is the name of the game!

Cley

You are just like me! I could moonlight as a juggler in a circus! Creative accounting is the name of the game!

Cley
Again I'll be forced into a corner soon enough... Even with all of this that I have getting done for me I'll have tons of stuff left to degrees clean wire wheel sand spray paint you name it...

Okay that was fairly straightforward and not too much hassle. Off to the machine shop to drop the case off for a hot tank. He said about 20 or 25 bucks and I was very happy with that. Of course now I've got one heck-ton of cleaning to do painting and putting new seals and all the covers and so forth...
also in the bottom left corner of the picture of the empty case is one of the front frame leaf spring hanger mounts that I noticed was still sitting in my vise getting the bushing out. I have to go drop that off with all the sandblasting stuff...
IMG_20210428_095202.jpg
IMG_20210428_095214.jpg

Oh yeah and colossal mess tool clean up.

A little bit more cleaning, assembly, and organizing... (Of the transfer case)..
I assembled the second set of 64 bearings and there was one left over...:BangHead:...
Soooo I took the snap ring off the one I did yesterday and it was all good... Nice they give an extra.. I should have counted them first...
The videos I've been watching the guy is just taking it apart resealing it and checking a couple of the exterior bearings. but taking apart the gears themselves and getting into the needle bearing I noticed one of the thresh washers had its tab tore off and was worn well another one had its tab beat up and on its way out... I didn't change the bearing races in the center gear nor did I change the needle bearings on the back cover of the front wheel drive or the ones near the speedo gear in the rear output shaft. All of which are in good condition and no sense risking banging them out and the new ones getting damaged going in when the ones that were in there were showing no signs of trouble...
IMG_20210429_171529.jpg
IMG_20210429_171508.jpg

The good...
The bad...
The ugly...
IMG_20210429_171539.jpg
IMG_20210429_171549.jpg

I got a coat of paint on the front axle. It's better than it was, but I wish I could have started from scratch. The person before I think may have blasted it but put some not very good paint on it and I wasn't able to clean much of it off so it's just kind of a I don't know half big job...
But again much better than it was..
IMG_20210430_112302.jpg

-
Back