74 power wagon dream truck...

-
IMG_20210227_154150.jpg
IMG_20210227_154118.jpg

My intention was to take the oil pan and pick up tube and sell the Mickey Thompson valve covers and sell the carburetor and sell the good running engine all to pay for getting started on a stroker motor. I have a 360 car block in my shed. The far back corner of my shed which is full LOL and I can't remember what year it is.. I think it might be like mid-70s. now I'm starting to think it would be easier just to disassemble this one and go ahead and take it in...
I wasn't expecting it to be a 71 block with a windage tray..

Kind of a mix of parts...
596 heads.. on a 71 block in a 74 truck...
Electronic distributor...
Oil pan didn't need bolts.. damn thing was cemented on!!...
No valve cover gaskets.. just lots red rtv...
Ran good and sounded good.. at least in the short video I seen...

You've been busy ! :thumbsup: I might have to start working on my 73 W200.
I 've been thinking about a blueprint short block if they come available again.
The 360 runs real good though, I've had the truck since 1984.
It's pretty much factory with a little cam and the factory 2 barrel Holley with 2 1/2 dual exhaust.
Loadflite and factory 4.10's

Got the transfer case out and the tail lights..
Probably continue disassembling until money gets in the way...
IMG_20210228_162947.jpg

Dodge made the first club cab, the only other one I can think of is Ford had one in the late 70's.

If you are talking about a jig or rotisserie for the cab, I just tipped mine gently over on its back to access the underside. All other work will be dome with it on the frame. I did think about using the 2 engine stand method (like I did with the frame) with some kind of frame to mount the cab but just decided to lay it back instead. I was surprised how heavy the cab actually is and I guess your club cab will be even heavier! When it comes to lifting the cab back on, we made an attachment for the engine crane that works really well!

Cley
20210116_164250.jpg
20201220_145438.jpg
16148811412233286095181906309764.jpg

If you are talking about a jig or rotisserie for the cab, I just tipped mine gently over on its back to access the underside. All other work will be dome with it on the frame. I did think about using the 2 engine stand method (like I did with the frame) with some kind of frame to mount the cab but just decided to lay it back instead. I was surprised how heavy the cab actually is and I guess your club cab will be even heavier! When it comes to lifting the cab back on, we made an attachment for the engine crane that works really well!

CleyView attachment 1715701586 View attachment 1715701587 View attachment 1715701597
One thing for weight I'm planning on picking the cab clean for sandblasting..
I do have two engine stands and two motor hoist...
Right now I'm leaning towards the third picture I posted and like you did rolling it on its back, but maybe on to a piece of plywood to spread the load...?..

IMG_20181115_162738.jpg
I was thinking about buying casters for my sled deck and I would have an 8x8 to put something on and roll it around. The only problem is this won't fit in the garage with the duster and assorted toys LOL..

It's possible it's a half ton with 3/4 axles..
Anyways I'm trying to make this my long game forever truck.. 408 stroker pump gas.. a/c.. the works..
I have a 360 block in my shed I would like to start with... The 596 heads from the Duster that are in excellent condition and the SM intake new in the box from black Friday...
Needless to say the gears are turning....

That's kinda what I have in Gladys. It all has to do with the vehicle GVWR. With Fords, they aren't "just" an F250, for example. On the VIN it starts with "F250" but on the data plate it might be different. Mine for example, begins with "F253" because it is a heavy duty F250. 8100 GVWR. That's more than some F350s of the same year. Essentially, Gladys is a 3/4 ton truck on a one ton chassis. She also has the Camper Special package, which is completely separate from the heavy duty option. Gladys got the double whammy from Ford. LOL The F series in the 250 line goes all the way to F259, which is a heavy duty 4x4 F250. The GVWR increases with each increment. GM and Chrysler had similar.

That's kinda what I have in Gladys. It all has to do with the vehicle GVWR. With Fords, they aren't "just" an F250, for example. On the VIN it starts with "F250" but on the data plate it might be different. Mine for example, begins with "F253" because it is a heavy duty F250. 8100 GVWR. That's more than some F350s of the same year. Essentially, Gladys is a 3/4 ton truck on a one ton chassis. She also has the Camper Special package, which is completely separate from the heavy duty option. Gladys got the double whammy from Ford. LOL The F series in the 250 line goes all the way to F259, which is a heavy duty 4x4 F250. The GVWR increases with each increment. GM and Chrysler had similar.
Of course being a 47 year old truck I'm not sure what has been done to it. I do think like I said it comes up w100 but obviously it has three quarter ton axles. Under the second paint job it has the bed definitely isn't the original one. The cab in front fenders seem to be not hiding any colors... They seem green through and through but the bed shows yellow or off-white underneath the paint. Someone also added a rhino liner type texture to the rocker panels...
I put 3/4 ton Springs on my son's 76 half ton just to give it a little bit of a lift...

I run a 4" spring lift with a Skyjacker dropped steering arm. The dropped steering arm is a huge improvement as without it you end up with unequal turning radius left to right. Iii ran without for years which made me really appreciate it once I got it. I just picked up 35x12.5-17 tires and some new wheels but I forget the backspace right now. I think they are 17x8.5 with 4.5" backspace.

Cley

I got home from work today and went to work...:eek:...
Dug deep into the far corner of my shed and plucked out a 1977 360 block...
I bought the complete motor and transmission for $50 about three-four years ago.. I've used endless parts off of it and Monday I'll take it down to the machine shop and get it prepped...
IMG_20210306_162652.jpg
IMG_20210306_162707.jpg
IMG_20210306_162712.jpg
IMG_20210306_162731.jpg
IMG_20210306_163526.jpg
:thumbsup:..

Tomorrow I'll trade out the two four main bolts and steal the windage tray off that other motor. I'm not giving that away...

Are you doing anything special with the lift? The drag link?.. anything else I'm not thinking of? LOL...
Yes. I’m actually swapping in a Dana 60 front now. I’m doing crossover steering from Off Road Design. I’ll update my thread with pics in a little while.

Yes. I’m actually swapping in a Dana 60 front now. I’m doing crossover steering from Off Road Design. I’ll update my thread with pics in a little while.
I'm assuming you're Chevy 3/4 ton disc brake conversion is going to swap onto the Dana 60 from The Dana 44?..

-
Back