A833 questions

-

Dne007

Reaction score
Hi, I'm installing an A833 in my '63 Dart, I was going to just install it, but started looking at it a little closer. Actually started with installing o-rings and see I have to remove the reverse, detent? A few youtube videos and I can do this! I have overhauled a T90 Jeep transmission with the help of videos, this looks easier.

However, immediately ran into removing the retainer in the front, and the part won't slide off, looks like the gears are mushed somewhat but don't understand why it would be that way. See pics below please.
I know no history of this transmission other than a Mopar guy had it close to home. Actually he had several A833's of different models.

A833 overhaule.jpg

A833 overhauld.jpg

There's little slop in the front bearing and little in the rear, but thought I'd go ahead and replace them anyway.
A833 overhaulc.jpg

This is what caught my eye first, a chip in the this gear, but no others. so, take the thing apart I say. I don't know if this would cause any problems.
A833 overhaulb.jpg

Removing the retainer snap ring, the drum would not slide off.
A833 overhaula.jpg

it will move back and forth, but not come off.
A833 overhaul.jpg

my build:

Last edited:
After deburring it best you can, if it still won't "come" get a scrap of 2X6, etc, and slam the nose of the shaft down on it vertically

That's a reverse gear with the chipped teeth. I'm no expert but I don't think I'd sweat that. How are the synchro teeth on the gears?

Hi, well, I haven't taken that close a look yet. I'm heading to the garage shortly to disassemble it, then I'll post some pics;) Thank you for tuning in;)
dne'

That's a reverse gear with the chipped teeth. I'm no expert but I don't think I'd sweat that. How are the synchro teeth on the gears?

Remove the loaded output shaft from the tail, then just bonk the nose on the floor and it will fall right off.
The chipped teeth on that reverse gear are nothing; in fact, as far as those go, yours are about as clean as a used gear can be.
As for bearings, the way most people test them, there will always be play and a tiny bit checked that way is normal.

Last edited:
@jos51700 has the right idea about the chipped teeth on the reverser. It's not a big deal a'tall. Just be sure to make sure there aren't any loose bits on the teeth, and be sure to clean the case very well since that's were the remnants went.

Forgive me for making the assumption, but I'm guessing you've got either a nail file or emery boards. Either one is 'bout perfect for getting burrs off the snap-ring edge of the splines. Just set your abrasive in the snap-ring groove and get after it. Either also works pretty well on the splines themselves. Give that a try first before beating it apart (although it may come to that).

When you reinstall the reverse detent assembly, have the transmission in reverse. I didn't a couple of transmissions back, and the ball ended up rolling around inside the transmission. Of course, this is something you discover after the transmission's in the car and won't go into reverse (because in my case, the ball wedged itself under the internal reverse lever). Removing and reinstalling the side cover in the car isn't impossible, but it's somewhere south of enjoyable.

I just filed a bit and it came apart with my nail file;) (kidding) I'm so glad to see you guys making observations and advice;) To be honest, I'm no expert, but I can't find anything obviously wrong except for (I'll post the one thing I found in the next post). I don't mind going through this process of overhauling this transmission, just further education. The syncronizers seem ok, the teeth look ok, non terribly worn.
I'm going to re-assemble as a practice once I get everything spic n span clean. IT'll be a good learning thing;)

A833 disassemblyb.jpg

A833 disassemblya.jpg

A833 disassembly.jpg

A833 disassemblyh.jpg

A833 disassemblyg.jpg

A833 disassemblyf.jpg

A833 disassemblye.jpg

A833 disassemblyd.jpg

On the left, when I put the syncronizer on that "drum", it doesn't drag and kind of rubs on the spring thing~ argh, I'll make a mini video, I may have the sync in the wrong place. As good as I was trying to keep everything in line, I may have messed that idea up:(
A833 disassemblyc.jpg

Got any close-up photos of the synchro teeth? What I used to think of as 'good enough' turned out to be way bad.

I would replace them.
If for nothing else but peace of mind like you are doing with the bearings.
They aren't that expensive anyway...

I have built dozens of A833s, and hundred to thousands of other Manual transmissions, And I can tell you that there are only two reasons to trash a brass ring;
1) is if the ring sits very low on what you call a drum, but which I call a conical brake. If it sits too low, it will just get worse as the trans warms up, and eventually will quit working in that location, which is gonna make you drop the trans and start over. and
2) is if the ring fails to brake due to being bent. But, I reregulary straighten those out.

Now then, every brass wears at a different rate, cuz obviously, First and Second are the most used . and Fourth is the least used.
But Fourth has another problem, from the factory, the Input gear is just too far ahead, and so the brake works late, and doesn't get the same amount of time to try to achieve synchronization.

Ok so, knowing this now, I rearrange all the brass so that each gear gets a fair shot at doing what it is supposed to do. In this way I can get double and triple life out of the same 4 brass rings.

Here is my procedure, what I do. You can do whatever you like.
1) Every brass has to be checked to be sure it is not bent
2) and that it actually brakes. and
3) Every brass has to be rated as to how high it sits up on the cone.
4) and decisions made as to whether it is thus useable or if you are willing to try another go-around, or to trash it.
5) and finally, you gotta chose which one will go where.

For all the following steps you will be using the input gear, which is generally called the MainDrive, or just M/D. Why? Two reasons; One, it usually has the least-worn cone, and Two, it's handy to install in a vice or to just hang on to.

As for #1, and #2
this is done by lightly placing each ring on the MD cone. If you can rock it like a rocking chair, it may be bent. Push it down onto the cone a lil harder, and simultaneously try to rotate it. If it won't grab with light pressure, try it on another cone. If it doesn't work there either, then it likely really is bent. If it sits high on the cone, and significantly higher that any other brass sits on the same cone, that's almost a dead giveaway. I straighten them, cuz it only takes a few seconds, See note-1 But for you, as a newbe, it might be tricky so I'm gonna recommend just to replace it, but be warned, you gotta check even the new one(s).

As for #3
I take each brass and one atta time, set them on the MD, screw them down by rotating them and then eyeballing how low they sit on the cone
Obviously if the bottom out, they are trash. and just as obviously, the higher they sit the better. Typically I like to see .060 or more between the brass and bottomed out.

As for #4
As I am doing the above, I line them up on the bench vertically from the best to the worst.
The highest sitting one (the best), goes on the MD because of the aforementioned distance problem.
The lowest goes on First gear, cuz it only has a few rpm to deal with from idle to dead stopped.
Second gear gets the next highest but only if it brakes properly. If it brakes poorly, and the last brass brakes better, then use the better-braking brass.
Third gets whatever is left ove, cuz by the time you shift into third, usually the rpm is way down, and the brass has a real easy time of it.

Ok remember, Second gear is the hardest working brass, and you want that one to work the best, even if you have to steal it from the M/D.

Note-1
How I straighten brass.
First, as yourself how it got bent.
Most likely this happened by being dropped, either AFTER the trans came apart, or BEFORE the trans was assembled by the last guy. It sure as heck didn't happen inside the trans.
So knowing it was dropped, this is a simple fix, just find where the bend is, exactly, and unbend it. To find it set it on the MD and rock it. Turn the MD until it rocks left to right or right to left, whichever; and mark the brass with a permanent marker, directly in front of you which should be at 90* to the rocking. This point is of a smaller than normal diameter as the brass has been pinched there. Your job will be to restore the diameter back to as new. I just chuck the brass into a vise and pinch it a lil atta time, at 90* to the mark I made, until the ring stops rocking and starts grabbing with light pressure.
That's all there is to it, and NO!, I have never broken one. they are NOT made of glass.
I have NEVER thrown away a bent brass unless the customer asked me to...... and then I save it for my own. Cuz even a brand new brass can come to you, bent.

BTW,
1) the last time I had mine apart was 2004, over 100,000 miles ago, and the brass was redistributed and reused. That brass mightabin from the late 60s or early 70s. Who knows how old it was/is.
2) if you are wearing out brass, change your oil, and reset your freeplay. That trans-oil is the cooling system for the spinning parts, sending the heat into the case and from there to the airstream zipping past it. Keeping the trans-oil clean and cool will ensure that brass will hold it's shape. and if it does that, then it will brake properly (with adequate freeplay which translates to adequate clutch departure), and last a really long time.
3) And, if your legs are too short, to press the pedal down far enough to affect proper synchronization, do something about it right away! If you hear grinding or it seems to take excessive shift-time, you are already in a failure mode.
4) Just FYI,
I often shift mine at up to 7200 like as if I'm a racer (I am not), and I challenge you to find a break in the blackies; that's how fast the properly set-up A833 can shift. So then, do not accept grinding nor a tardy synchronization.

Wow, that's an incredible write-up! I printed it out to study it and take it to the garage while I play with synchronizers. I placed the order for the bearings/gaskets, but should I not get the synchronizers? Mine are now out of order:( I haven't received the bill from Brewers yet.
Thank you so much!
dne'

AJFormS.jpg

There is no order to the brass rings except as I noted in my post.
If your trans was not slipping out if gear on deceleration, and if you did not have to hold it in any gear for to keep it from popping out, then I would reuse the synchronizers. Judging by the looks of your brass, the synchronizers should be tip-top.
Ima guessing your Dart has a slanty or a lo-performance engine, and Ima also guessing that you're not into speed shifting; and so, if I'm right, then the condition of the points on the clutching teeth are not a big deal. If it was my trans, I might touch them up because I have the tools, the experience, and the time. But for a lo-performance streeter, it is of no great importance for them to have to look like new.

Last edited:
ON this transmission, I know nothing about it. The seller had a barn full of Mopar stuff, you name it, he had it. It was freshly painted black and I was worried it might be rusted inside, but it was not. I was going to just clean the black off, install it and see what happens. The first kit from Brewers was just a gasket set and the o-rings, I saw that the transmission had to be disassebled to get to the reverse oring. Then the one gear had a small defect, but I was told that it's just the reverse gear and not to worry about it.

My only manual transmission experience was with a '52 Willys T-90 transmission. With the help of a youtube video, the overhaul was successful.

A833: Next thing I know I had it completely apart with intent to do it correctly(with help of you guys) and some youtube videos. Now I'm ready to start the rebuilding of the gears n such whenever the parts arrive, which I still haven't heard from Brewers performance, I really don't like their ordering process but appreciate what they do. I have in the order, the synchronizers as well. I may as well just replace them, but check them as you recommended.

This along with the synchronizers some day.
1727291784103.jpeg

Since I'll be running a slant 6 with 9:1 compression, I needed a different bearing retainer which Brewers had. my slant 6 bell housing has the larger 5.125 diameter.
A833f.jpg

A833 overhaulb.jpg

just clean cases now and weighed em for fun
A833 weight partse.jpg

A833 weight partsd.jpg

A833 weight partsc.jpg

Last edited:
When the time comes to install and fill the transmission, make sure you only use GL4-rated gear oil. Do not use GL5; it is not backward compatible for all transmissions. As a part of its rating GL5 must withstand extreme pressures, which sounds great. To achieve that rating, though, the gear oil must contain sulfur. Sulfur dissolves yellow metals--including those brass synchronizer rings you just bought.

99% of gear oils on the shelf locally will be GL5-rated. The only two GL4 oils of which I'm aware are Red Line MT-90 and Penngrade 77296 but there may be others. I use the Penngrade because the pretty green color reminds me how expensive this hobby is without looking at my bank account.

Other than Red Line, none of the "gee-whiz" high-dollar synthetics (SynPower, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc.) is compatible with brass syncrho rings--no matter what the company rep tells you.

1) The O-ring on the reverse lever has to be the best you got, cuz the oil level is higher than the ring, so if it doesn't seal, you got a leaker and worse is that you get to take it apart again.
2) the front Retainer has to be a tight fit into the BH, in order to keep everything concentric.
3) the yellowing of the brass rings does not seem to affect how they work.

Thank you;)

When the time comes to install and fill the transmission, make sure you only use GL4-rated gear oil. Do not use GL5; it is not backward compatible for all transmissions. As a part of its rating GL5 must withstand extreme pressures, which sounds great. To achieve that rating, though, the gear oil must contain sulfur. Sulfur dissolves yellow metals--including those brass synchronizer rings you just bought.

99% of gear oils on the shelf locally will be GL5-rated. The only two GL4 oils of which I'm aware are Red Line MT-90 and Penngrade 77296 but there may be others. I use the Penngrade because the pretty green color reminds me how expensive this hobby is without looking at my bank account.

Other than Red Line, none of the "gee-whiz" high-dollar synthetics (SynPower, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc.) is compatible with brass syncrho rings--no matter what the company rep tells you.

That's kind of why I'm overhauling the transmission, due to that one little 0-ring! lol Good information~ Thank you!!

1) The O-ring on the reverse lever has to be the best you got, cuz the oil level is higher than the ring, so if it doesn't seal, you got a leaker and worse is that you get to take it apart again.
2) the front Retainer has to be a tight fit into the BH, in order to keep everything concentric.
3) the yellowing of the brass rings does not seem to affect how they work.

I use pure silicone grease to get that O-ring started . Somebody told me that stuff is the slipperiest grease money can buy. IDK if it is or isn't but for what it costs, it outta be!
Second best is the grease that comes with your treadmill, for greasing the belt/track.
I haven't tried it but I bet Full synthetic engine-oil would get'er in there.

-
Back