AC guinea pig...

-
Cool. We love photos and custom mod's. I'll just caution that you need to consider all the forces on the compressor. To fix an object in space requires at least 6 reactions - 3 force directions and 3 moments (think pitch, yaw, roll in an airplane), so insure your brackets are stiff to oppose all such forces. Even though the belt only applies a single force, vibrations can setup oscillations in other directions which can cause the metal to oscillate and crack from "metal fatigue". A guy on my M-B forums sold custom Sanden brackets for my 1985 diesel engine. I installed them and worked fine at first, but I found cracks after 2 years and eventually had to give up since they cracked to pieces, and he was using 1/2" thick steel plate. Probably didn't help that I cut a large hole like you show to reduce weight. Also, diesel engines shake more, so bad that even the factory air filter brackets usually crack. You can find many pictures of rodders mounting Sanden compressors using many swivel-end rods (like tie-rods), with the compressor mostly up in the air on "legs". This can work if they have enough to make it stiff to all 6 possible loads.
I love photos and custom mods too...
The car is my hobby so I'm constantly coming up with things to fabricate for it or things to rebuild.. I have countless threads making one-off parts and rebuilding the old parts that are on it...
this one will be no exceptions I'm sure there will be tons of pictures and questions to come and hopefully some answers....

Screenshot_20200717-163936.png

And it starts...

I’m looking forward to how this turns out. Lots of pics please!

I’m looking forward to how this turns out. Lots of pics please!
So far I like everything I see.. you're much closer and should say it much quicker than I did but a week is what it took the time I ordered it to the time I got it kitty corner across the entire United States..
Everything seemed well packed and as ordered... I'm just now getting a chance to read through the instructions this evening...

first thing I'm going to do tomorrow which I already seen coming and it actually says you in the instruction so far is to remove the radiator. I wanted it out of the way to make the installation and to make brackets. Besides all the fluid would leak out anyways once I pull the lower and upper driver side timing cover and water pump bolts where I'm going to make my attachment..

Same one and only... Although I still take it to the track on occasion, I have been in the process of making it more comfortable on the street...
Throughout the years, you are slowly turning into me. You are about 15 years behind me is all. Slowly, but surely, the race components leave the car and a nice street driver is born. Then, at some point, some dude will join a sight, maybe named P-jar, and he'll hound and heckle you to prove every aspect of your statements and tell you how and what you don't understand, and then.... and then...... you'll think of ole' 318willrun. And then, you'll understand

............................................................................................... maybe :poke:

I did already stop by the store and get some 3/8 bolts to attach the generic brackets to the compressor...
Also just four S's and G's I stuck the evaporator unit up under the dash on the passenger side and was quite surprised at how much room was left... Mind you all I don't have a heater box up there..
So now I'm totally rethinking where the evaporator is going to be...

Throughout the years, you are slowly turning into me. You are about 15 years behind me is all. Slowly, but surely, the race components leave the car and a nice street driver is born. Then, at some point, some dude will join a sight, maybe named P-jar, and he'll hound and heckle you to prove every aspect of your statements and tell you how and what you don't understand, and then.... and then...... you'll think of ole' 318willrun. And then, you'll understand

............................................................................................... maybe :poke:
On the contrary I'm 15 years ahead of you...
I've ran from one car to the next and one hobby to the next having all kinds of different vehicles and ATVs and such...
been there done that now I'm just concentrating on the one...
How can you say my race components are leaving when I just got brand new dual carburetors that were even bigger than the last ones? how can you say I'm taking away race components when I just switch to aluminum heads with more flow? How can you say I'm taking race components off when I just had a complete Nitrous system? Please try and refrain yourself from turning this thread into a fiasco as there probably are quite a few people looking to see how this relatively inexpensive AC turns out...
or do I hear you really saying you trying to take credit for the all of this?...

I’m wondering if one would fit under the dash of an early A (factory non AC) with a heater box.

I’m wondering if one would fit under the dash of an early A (factory non AC) with a heater box.
They have several different configurations and colors available at probably no extra cost. Again very easy to deal with on the phone and they actually answer it.. A gentleman named Omar was who answered the phone every time I called and again was very easy to talk to and very forthcoming with as much information as he could give... Has triple R mentioned possibly they don't have the exact Factory configuration but I couldn't give a rat as long as it freezes my nuts off LOL...

I had a knee knocker ac in my 66 dart. Fit nice and worked good. If the last little bit of your beer gets warm, you can dump it in the vent and it goes out the drain. Not that I ever did that...

I got the generic brackets attached to the compressor wich looks damn nice.. It's polished.. I tried placing it in the area that I want it but I really do need to get the radiator out of the way.. Tomorrow I should only have to work in the morning and Sunday off, so I should be able to make some headway...
IMG_20200717_195051.jpg
IMG_20200717_195058.jpg
IMG_20200717_195829.jpg

Subscribed

I hardly drive my Cuda during the Summer because it's so damn uncomfortable. ....been wanting AC since I bought it!

Found the kits the op got on ebay. .....might pull the trigger pretty soon....

Jeff

Definitely taking the radiator out is a must.... Got that drained and removed.
Went through some of my brackets and got some stuff to attach and got a start..
IMG_20200718_154742.jpg
IMG_20200718_154820.jpg
IMG_20200718_165049.jpg
IMG_20200718_165055.jpg
IMG_20200718_165136.jpg
IMG_20200718_170108.jpg

a couple hours here and there add up. if we always waited for enough time we wouldn't have any

Last edited:
Okay I should have most of the day to play on this project... I just realized I need to get up to Harbor Freight and get a new welding helmet as mine kind of took a dump... Well I think I can drill holes in actually both of us together Beyond trimming some of that generic bracket I still intend to weld the generic bracket to the brackets I have attached to the engine. And make them as one..
I've said this till I'm blue in the face but that $89 Harbor Freight welder has paid for its self every time I've used it.. and I've used it and untold amounts of times...
That and before I go I'll make sure I have new cut off wheels grinding disc and flap wheel disk for my $14 four and a half inch grinder... Likely the bracket that mounts the compressor in the factory position cost more than the welder the generic brackets and all from vintage air...

Get after it! I want to copy this compressor location one day.

Well I'm back from the hobbyist motherland... Harbor Freight.. lol...
I'll take a couple pictures of where I'm at and where I want to go here in just a few minutes..

-
Back