Aint this a laugh? (vehicle registration)

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
I was looking into Classic tags/registration for my '73 340 Duster, with the option to use a "Vintage" (period correct) License Plate.

Same goes for my '48 Dodge, only as an Antique with a period correct '48' plate.

[ame]http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf[/ame]

If you want BOTH the Classic/Antique registration WITH a Vintage plate, PennDOT charges you $75 for the Classic/Antique Registration, plus $75 for the Vintage Registration, plus $22.50 in Title Fees.

The only redeeming factor for Classic/Antique registration is it never expires, and insurance is cheaper... but you're only allowed to drive the vehicle once a week.

Doesn't seem worth it after looking into it. Regular truck registration for the '48 Dodge would be something like $70 a year and insurance is like $40 a month on it and I could drive it every day of the week if I want to.

I know it definitely wouldn't be worth it on the '73, during the summer I drive it multiple times a week.

So I thought, maybe I'll look into "Seasonal" Registration for the Duster & '48...

You pick how long you want the registration to last (example, 6 months) and don't have to keep it registered all year (doesn't make sense to have a vehicle registered for a year, when it spends 6 months in storage due to snow)

Sooo... the first time it'd be registered, they'll prorate the registration for the '48 & Duster based on the amount of months it'll be registered. Seems like a great deal, doesn't it? Your registration fee won't be as much as it is for a regular car or truck, and it's set to expire based on your terms...

[ame]http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-sear.pdf[/ame]

The following year, they charge you full vehicle registration price (just like a regular full-year registration), regardless of how many months your registration is good for.

I thought you guys might get a laugh out of that, I know I did.

Idaho has a pretty fair deal, specially when compared to places like CA, OR, and WA

I pay full yearly rates on the Dart which is ?? 35?? a year, don't even know for sure

Pay a little extra for, I have "year of manufacture" plates and since I'm paying full rates, no restrictions on driving the car.

Idaho has a pretty fair deal, specially when compared to places like CA, OR, and WA

I pay full yearly rates on the Dart which is ?? 35?? a year, don't even know for sure

Pay a little extra for, I have "year of manufacture" plates and since I'm paying full rates, no restrictions on driving the car.

Wish it was that way here. I'd happily pay a little extra for vintage/period correct/"year of manufacture" plates (but not paying for registration twice).

Even if I wanted to go with just regular yearly registration (instead of classic/antique), with a "year of manufacture" vintage plate, I'd be limited to driving it once a week.

Even if I wanted to go with just regular yearly registration (instead of classic/antique), with a "year of manufacture" vintage plate, I'd be limited to driving it once a week.

Same here, I pay 47 bucks a year for the tag. If I wanted year of manufacture plates I would be limited in driving too.

They are gonna get their money one way or the other, even if it's dishonest.

Only allowed to drive it once a week?

Who's watching you? Big brother?

Last I knew, we lived in a free country.

And why the once a week allowance? For what reason? And what constitutes once a week? Go out and go home? What if you're on a road trip? Technically, that's driving it "once".

I wonder who got a raise on top of a $100k a year salary to come up with that garbage?

Only allowed to drive it once a week?

Who's watching you? Big brother?

Last I knew, we lived in a free country.

Well, chances are good you could get away with it. BUT, if you get caught here in Michigan you will get ticketed, with the antique plate you're only allowed to attend parades, car shows etc.

Sometimes classic car insurance will limit you as well.

Same here, I pay 47 bucks a year for the tag. If I wanted year of manufacture plates I would be limited in driving too.

They are gonna get their money one way or the other, even if it's dishonest.

Dishonest? You know it!

I registered the '73 last year (regular registration) in March or April... TWICE, plus additional fees because PennDOT screwed up... Oh don't worry, they've got fine-print that covers their butts, they're not responsible for any errors or mistakes.

Here it is, a year later, I still don't have that registration I paid for. So when my temporary registration expired (it's supposed to be there for you until your registration card & plate sticker arrive), I had no choice but to park my '73 even though the weather was still very nice and perfect to be driving around in a 340 Duster.

I bet if we ran a business, and tried to charge someone twice for the same thing that would be deemed illegal.

In MA you get two years reg for $35-50. I pay $600 a year for Ins with extra coverage. Excise tax was $20 for the year. I just keep the car on the road and pray for an easy winter. Not this winter of coarse! Plus the DOT can take hours just to put a car on the road or pay a runner at the ins company. Not worth it for me to keep taking the car off the road and back on.

I was looking into Classic tags/registration for my '73 340 Duster, with the option to use a "Vintage" (period correct) License Plate.

Same goes for my '48 Dodge, only as an Antique with a period correct '48' plate.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf

If you want BOTH the Classic/Antique registration WITH a Vintage plate, PennDOT charges you $75 for the Classic/Antique Registration, plus $75 for the Vintage Registration, plus $22.50 in Title Fees.

The only redeeming factor for Classic/Antique registration is it never expires, and insurance is cheaper... but you're only allowed to drive the vehicle once a week.

Doesn't seem worth it after looking into it. Regular truck registration for the '48 Dodge would be something like $70 a year and insurance is like $40 a month on it and I could drive it every day of the week if I want to.

I know it definitely wouldn't be worth it on the '73, during the summer I drive it multiple times a week.

So I thought, maybe I'll look into "Seasonal" Registration for the Duster & '48...

You pick how long you want the registration to last (example, 6 months) and don't have to keep it registered all year (doesn't make sense to have a vehicle registered for a year, when it spends 6 months in storage due to snow)

Sooo... the first time it'd be registered, they'll prorate the registration for the '48 & Duster based on the amount of months it'll be registered. Seems like a great deal, doesn't it? Your registration fee won't be as much as it is for a regular car or truck, and it's set to expire based on your terms...

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-sear.pdf

The following year, they charge you full vehicle registration price (just like a regular full-year registration), regardless of how many months your registration is good for.

I thought you guys might get a laugh out of that, I know I did.

I 'm a PA Resident also. I registered my Barracuda in March of 2002 and paid $75.00 for a non expiring Classic Plate. I have been driving as I want since that time with no issues from local or state police. I have friends who drive with classic plates at will without problems from the authorities.

Doing the math, it has cost me about $5.35 a year for the registration with that amount dropping every year. Not a bad deal the way I see it.

It is a deal, over that amount of time. (Provided you can drive it, like you do) I was referring to them charging twice, to register it as a Classic or Antique with your own supplied vintage plate. As well as the fact that Seasonal Registration is pretty much a joke too, since you pay full price for it after the first year. You'd think it'd be priced to match the amount of months the vehicle is registered. Instead, they charge you as if it was a full year, even if it's only valid for 6 months or whatever amount you pick.

I just know if I end up putting Classics/Antiques on one of the toys, the first time I have one of em out on the road for more than one day in a week, I'll get the blue & red light special showing up in the rear-view mirror (okay, only if it's the Duster, the '48 wasn't ordered with a rear-view mirror option :D). It's just the way my luck works.

You'd think they'd revise the regulations a bit, people with Classic/Antique tagged vehicles want to drive em more than once a week (usually) if the weather is nice.

It's simple here in Iowa. You can run a "year of manufacture" plate as long as the registration says "antique" under usage. I pay the regular yearly rate and don't even have to register the old plate with the DMV. I DO have to carry the state issued plates under the seat in case I would get pulled over.

I found the original plate number on the original title to the car. I had repro tags made with the original plate number.

Ohio is cool!
Year tags are "married" to historic tags when registered. You need to keep the historic tags in the car, but not on the car.
Not to be used as a daily driver. The car can be used day or night, no mileage limits.
Historic tags cost $25.00 and last 50 years!

Here's Minnesota's

Collector Vehicle Registration Applications for registration in one of the collector classes must be made at a deputy registrar office or by mailing an [ame="https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_TitleandRegisterMotorVehicleApplication.pdf"]Application to Title/Register a Motor Vehicle (PS2000)[/ame] and appropriate fees to:
Driver and Vehicle Services
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 164
St. Paul, MN 55101.
sp11.jpg

• Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to operation solely as a collector item. These vehicles cannot be used for general transportation purposes.
  • You will be issued a 60-day permit if applying at a deputy registrar office so you may operate the vehicle until you receive your license plates in the mail.
  • Initial Application Fees: $15.00 for double plates, $13.50 for a single plate, $25 one-time registration tax ($10 for Classic Motorcycle) plus a $10 filing fee.
  • Collector plates may be personalized. See the Personalized Plates section above for fees and restrictions.
  • For additional information about the following Collector Classes please visit your local motor vehicle office or email [email protected].
Collector Classes and Requirements Pioneer Plates
  • May be displayed on any motor vehicle (except recreational) manufactured prior to 1936.
sp12.jpg
Classic Plates
  • May be displayed on any motor vehicle manufactured between and including the years 1925-1948, designated as a classic car under Minnesota Statutes, section 168.10 subdivision 1b, excluding any type of commercial or recreational vehicle.
sp13.jpg
Collector Plates
  • May be displayed on any motor vehicle (except recreational) that is at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935.
  • At the time of application, owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates.
sp14.jpg
Street Rod Plates
  • May be displayed on any modernized motor vehicle manufactured prior to the year 1949 or any motor vehicle designed and manufactured to resemble a motor vehicle manufactured prior to 1949.
  • At the time of application, owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates.
sp15.jpg
Classic Motorcycle Plates
  • May be displayed on any motorcycle that is at least 20 model years old, original in appearance, and owned solely as a collector's item.
sp16.jpg
Original Minnesota Plates
  • Original Plates are not plates issued by Driver and Vehicle Services.
  • Original plates are plates originally issued by the State of Minnesota with an issue year that is the same as the vehicle model year, or that display a tab or registration sticker that is the same as the vehicle model year (i.e., an original 1965 license plate with a 1966 validation sticker may be used on a 1966 vehicle).
  • May be displayed on any vehicle that qualifies for collector registration or is at least 20 years old registered in the passenger class.
  • The original plate cannot conflict with a license plate series currently in use, or reserved for use by the department.
  • Original plates cannot be displayed until the Driver and Vehicle Services Division approves the application.
  • Plates made for novelty or collector purposes are not allowed to be displayed on the vehicle while it is operating on streets and highways.
sp17.jpg

I put the YOM (vintage) plate on the Dart. I already had the antique plate on the car. I can't stand the antique plate with a Model T picture on it. I can justify the additional $75 because it's a once-and-done deal. No more registration, inspection, or renewals. Plus I think the car looks cool with a '69 plate on it. I have another '69 plate for the Charger if I ever get done with it.
As far as the one day a week thing, consider that a "guideline". I don't get my cars out often but if it's a nice weekend they might be out Friday thru Sunday. The key is the car can't be used for daily transportation. If they see someone with an antique truck at Home Depot tossing 2x4s in they're getting a ticket.

In CT you pay extra for the antique plates but you get a break on taxes. Because yes, CT taxes you on the value of your car every year. But just to make back that money you are saving on taxes, I believe the registration expires every 2 years instead of every 4 years.

Also, be careful with that seasonal registration. If you take the insurance off your car during the off season it will not be covered if something happens to it. If your garage catches fire or something your homeowners insurance will not cover the car. I explored the seasonal thing and was cautioned by my insurance company.

I put the YOM (vintage) plate on the Dart. I already had the antique plate on the car. I can't stand the antique plate with a Model T picture on it. I can justify the additional $75 because it's a once-and-done deal. No more registration, inspection, or renewals. Plus I think the car looks cool with a '69 plate on it. I have another '69 plate for the Charger if I ever get done with it.
As far as the one day a week thing, consider that a "guideline". I don't get my cars out often but if it's a nice weekend they might be out Friday thru Sunday. The key is the car can't be used for daily transportation. If they see someone with an antique truck at Home Depot tossing 2x4s in they're getting a ticket.

Hey...my friend has picked up stuff at Home Depot in his antique truck! That was his "once a week" drive! :D

(It's a 1947, rind of a rat-rod...he does have antique plates on it.)

It costs $1,100 a year to register a V8 here....thats Rego and Compulsury 3rd Party insurance together.....there's now way 'round that, they are together.

It costs $1,100 a year to register a V8 here....thats Rego and Compulsury 3rd Party insurance together.....there's now way 'round that, they are together.

Holly ****.

Holly ****.

No kidding. I suddenly feel so much better about the prices for my vehicles.

In light of cjh's outrageous prices, I guess all of us State-Side members (and our brothers to the north) only have to worry about all those horses with no room to gallop :D

No kidding. I suddenly feel so much better about the prices for my vehicles.

In light of cjh's outrageous prices, I guess all of us State-Side members (and our brothers to the north) only have to worry about all those horses with no room to gallop :D

Tags on my Magnum only cost me about $90/year.

It was the damned property tax that nailed me for $1000+! :(

Yes, that's a big reason I no longer drive a Magnum.

-
Back