been up all night

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
damn cant sleep..just looking at tv with nothing to do...anybody else go through this ****????most of the time i have to toss and turn to go out but tonight i just could not go to sleep..hell i havent even laid down...and the bad part is i have alot of **** to do today...:wack:weather is bad (cold as ice) and my damn shoulder is hurting ....oh well i guess i will get out and go get some breakfast in a few..
anybody got some old tricks you use to go to sleep????i have about 5 diff. kinds of sleeping pills doctor gave me when i had surgery but none of them work..i would take 2 oxycodone and 2 sleeping pills and look like a owl..lol so i stop taking them and the oxy. cause i cant stand how they make me feel...dont know how people get high with them..maybe tonight i'll drink me some paul mason and cranberry and sleep like a baby....:coffee2: :evil4: i guess rant is over mike:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good morning! I usually don't have a problem sleeping but when i do i will drink 1 beer around 8 PM or so...by 11 I'm ready for bed. I'm not a drinker so the beer makes me tired.Couple years back i couldn't sleep for the life of me so i went to the doctor had some blood work done and found out my thyroid was non-existent! Got some meds and its all good now.Good luck.Not getting proper amount of sleep SUCKS!!!!

I used to be like that. I taught myself how to go to sleep. What i do is make sure that I think of nothing other than going to sleep and I have figured out how to focus on nothing else. It's hard to explain. Now I have the opposite problem. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Wife hates it because I snore loudly.

Jack

Just get up early. By the time bedtime rolls around you'll be exhausted. Early to bed, early to rise...

A hot soak in the shower or tub will drain you of energy, and never take any oxycodone after 6pm!! I watch the out doors channel and things that are on my mind disappear and lets me fall to sleep, wake up 6 hours later and get back on my meds for another day.
Like magnumdart said works for me also

I used to be like that. I taught myself how to go to sleep. What i do is make sure that I think of nothing other than going to sleep and I have figured out how to focus on nothing else. It's hard to explain. Now I have the opposite problem. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Wife hates it because I snore loudly.

Jack

I agree with Jack, I had to much on the go and couldn't sleep, when I did it was for a short while. Now I go to bed and think of my childhood and all the good times I had, it works.
My two cents, get rid of the pills!

Take care
Kenny

I almost never have a problem going to sleep......I'm part of that "early-to-bed-early-to-rise" crowd. I'm into exercise and doing a lot of yard work too, so I'm sure that helps. I don't drink any caffeinated drinks after about 4pm either, that's usually what causes my insomnia, if I do get it. I'm sure you're limited a bit with shoulder surgery (?) but you could always do a stationary bicycle or some kind of workout to get your blood moving and get you a little exhausted. I've also found that if I have some shoulder or neck pains, exercising......like real exercise, running or at least a brisk walk (getting your heart rate up) will make the pain go away, sometimes permanently, sometimes just for a while.

I don't take any medication, ever. I just believe in good food, water, exercise and keep moving!

When I lay in bed tossing and turning for 3 hours, I take a shot of Grandad and a percocet. Within 20 minutes, I'm sound asleep for the duration.

i used to be like that. I taught myself how to go to sleep. What i do is make sure that i think of nothing other than going to sleep and i have figured out how to focus on nothing else. It's hard to explain. Now i have the opposite problem. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Wife hates it because i snore loudly.

Jack

lol

Agree on the too much on your mind thing. If I wake in the middle of the night, I have to play a mind game with myself to not think about anything. Its like a zombie walk to and from the boys room. If I start, I might as well concede to the fact that I'll be watching another beautiful sunrise.

Try to stay off the oxy.. it may seem to help at first, but like the coke, it's effects on you change with continued usage.

Grant

................I used to be like that...tossing, turning, maybe a couple of hours sleep, sometime alot less.....get a sleep test........you probably have sleep apnea.....with the breathing machine i rarely have trouble sleeping......kim.........they say ppl dont even know or suspect they have sleep apnea

melatonin helps but only if you take it everynight and at the same time can be found at waly world for pretty cheap n youll get some crazy dreams too haha

Kind of a pro at not sleeping. You mentioned shoulder pain, pain itself will keep you awake. Which Oxy are you taking, oxycontin, which is the extended release one or oxycodone which is the immediate release one. Oxycontin was given to me to help manage the constant chronic pain. The oxycodone is to help with the breakthrough, higher than normal pain. Which sleeping pill?? Overtime your body will build up a tolerance to most sleeping pills. Lunesta and Ambien, after 3 days or so have little to no effect on me, other than a fog the next morning. Xanax works for me, sometimes. It is an anti anxiety drug and it can be addiciting. .5mg is enough to help me sleep again now that I have not taken it for a year or so. When I was on it before 1mg was enough to induce a fog type of sleep, 1.5 would knock me out. But the next day my body would wake up but my brain never made it past semi-comatose.
How long has your shoulder hurt? How long has the sleep problem been around? Chronic pain will cause depression, as well as chronic sleep troubles. Once the depression settles in that is when the real fun begins. Good luck...

I have trouble sleeping also. My mind refuses to shut off and even being a sleep it keeps on working. Needless to say it doesn't make for quality sleep. I have a rainbow of sleeping medications but have to use one for a while then switch to another. I also suffer with a bad back and shoulder pain. I have began to overcome the rotator cuff tear shoulder pain. I have always slept with my arm under my head. I was researching and found out that keeps the shoulder from healing. For the most part I have trained myself to keep the arms down and haven't done the surgery the Drs wanted.

I agree with oldkimmer...... for you guy's that can't sleep at all or very little, you need to talk to your doctor, because you probably have sign's of sleep apnea, especially if you snore alot, and the like. It is a proven fact that if this goes on for a long preiod of time, you could be shortening up your life by alot, because if your body does not rest neither does your heart or your brain. I've been checked by just an overnight monitor that you wear and mine was figured to be a 4 on a scale of 1-10 being if your a 5 or above, your doctor will usally order an overnight sleep study at a place that does it. Get checked, it's worth it! My brother and I both take Xanax .5 mg and it does help with being over anxious and settle's you down, especially at night, when your thinking of too many thing's. Our little sis is a Doctor, so it help's to have someone very close to you to lean on when you have a medical question! I hope you guy's can get your sleeping problem's resolved. Good Luck:D

Not taking pain meds is not an option for some of us. Don't take oxy before bed?? The oxycontin is a 12 hour extended release so how could you not take it before going to bed? People here OXY and right away think bad things. It is one of the few pain meds that has no tylenol in it so the chance of it making your liver fall out is slim. It is only addicting to those that let it become so. I was taking enough Hydrocodne to cause liver troubles. Doc had me back off the dosage of it to to the point there was no pain relief. At least with the use of BOTH Oxy's I have enough pain relief that I can attempt to live my life without being stuck in the bed all freaking day. Think your best bet might be going and seeking professional help instead of listening to all of us armchair doctors.....

not taking pain meds is not an option for some of us. Don't take oxy before bed?? The oxycontin is a 12 hour extended release so how could you not take it before going to bed? People here oxy and right away think bad things. It is one of the few pain meds that has no tylenol in it so the chance of it making your liver fall out is slim. It is only addicting to those that let it become so. I was taking enough hydrocodne to cause liver troubles. Doc had me back off the dosage of it to to the point there was no pain relief. At least with the use of both oxy's i have enough pain relief that i can attempt to live my life without being stuck in the bed all freaking day. think your best bet might be going and seeking professional help instead of listening to all of us armchair doctors.....

x2

recently got laid off, i have always been a 5 am to 10 pm kinda guy. dont drink, dont smoke anything but cigs. i have had sleeping issues for years. my anxiety levels only allow me 3-4 hours at a time. its even worse now that i have to start over looking for a job.never been to the docs or prescribed any medications and i dont take any. it really sucks ***. my gf tells me not to worry and that things will be ok, and that she can carry the weight for a while, but in my head, i just cannot get a good nights rest, or find a way to ease my anxieties.i stay busy and still keep my body clock in working order, but i usually dont ever feel tired except in the afternoon. ive been thinking about getting some sleep aids but i dont take any pills except aspirin. so you guys are not alone for sure.

well guys i am still up and going..i have been this way for years...sometime doing the summer i leave and go to work and dont come home for 3 days ...i work day time get off eat and get bout 1 hr ,then work night time,get off eat ,and get a hr or 2 sleep and go for 3 days....(i also hit the joint i eat at to clean up lol) then i come home get me some sleep and back to work....but i mostly work only 8/9mths a yr..dep. on the weather...but its getting old and so am i...anyway i dont take the pills havent for a long time ..i have a high pain tol. acc. to the doctors...i can get a cordizone (think thats right hell close enough lol) in my shoulder and it dont help but i want take meds...just dont like them..i have took sleeping pills and oxycodone and din (both) and make me feel crazy so i dont take that junk....i gotta really hurt to take something or go to the doctor...but my mind does race all the time..i hate to sit in the house so i go in the shop nothing to do there so i clean it up and come back in clean the house...and what ever i can find to do....my mother ask me do i ever sit down...i tell her all the time i am working lol..( dump truck driver)i have been up since 8.30 yesterday morning now lol and will stay up til about 10 tonight..gotta work in the morning so i must be fresh ....hell i left home this morning at about 8.30 and just got back been 320 miles to bridgeton nc today..lol but i do need to find a way to slow myself down and relax ill be 40 march ..have had 2 shoulder surgeries and doctor waiting for me to come back so he can replace my right shoulder...i told him dec.09 i have more things to do before he take me out of work......but anyway thanks for all the replies and suggestion,i'll get to the doctor for a check up this march (dot) mike:-\"

Had that problem for about a year and changed the bed and it helped and still had the problem and tried that natural sleeping pill. And it helped and have the problem again, and it may be stress or something.

no laughing please....I close my eyes and start working on my car (in my mind ,of course)

WIN....WIN I fall asleep and get a lot done

wish i could do that..close my eyes and work on the car and go out...i toss and turn and get mad and get up and on this damn thing the stuputer lol..gonna sleep tonight gotta hit it in the morning at 4.30am 2hr drive to work...:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:be glad when the weather gets right so i can work round home ...by the way i'll be out til sat. morning unless i check in on my phone...so you all stay safe and play nice lol :cheers:

wish i could do that..close my eyes and work on the car and go out...i toss and turn and get mad and get up and on this damn thing the stuputer lol..gonna sleep tonight gotta hit it in the morning at 4.30am 2hr drive to work...:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:be glad when the weather gets right so i can work round home ...by the way i'll be out til sat. morning unless i check in on my phone...so you all stay safe and play nice lol :cheers:

I also work on the road and log between 600-800 miles a week. Traveling from the Raleigh area to the coast and beyond will take it's toll on a body. Not to mention the installations and lifting and the fact I am doing everything myself. I have a really hard time sleeping every night and since my intestine surgery in 2004, I wake up every night in pain some nights are really bad. I do not have any medical insurance so I just deal with it. I have got used to it and know it will never get any better. Losing sleep sucks and stress doesn't help. With high blood pressure also it can be really tough. Sorry I have no suggestions on how to help out but you are not alone in this.

I sympathize with you. I also have a hard time falling to sleep and sleeping soundly. I'm sure I have sleep apnea. I wake up many times a night snorting
and I toss and turn a lot. Between back problems/ pinched nerves, and a older mattress I don't sleep well. Something I've read recently and noticed myself is that drinking alcohol will help you relax and fall asleep but the second half of your sleep is very poor. Lots of tossing and turning and no deep sleep. I use
Diphenhydramine which is a antihistamine and the PM ingredient in Tylenol PM.
It makes me drowsy so I can fall asleep and I do sleep more soundly but if I take a whole pill I will be groggy until about 10 am the next day. I will agree with most here. If you have a serious sleep problem you should talk to your doctor. They
can help. My 20 year old son has sleep problems and uses Mellatonin which seems to help. Although he doesn't play much anymore, his years of nighttime online video games certainly hasn't helped him get into a regular sleep schedule. tmm

-
Back