Classic Auto Air in 67 Barracuda Factory Non AC

-
I charged it myself. You turn the compressor to get the oil circulated in the compressor from what I understand. That’s part I forgot to do. So when I turned it on the clutch was real slow for a second then was fine. I rented the vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone. Watched a couple of YouTube videos. The first time I tried it I did not have an adapter for the Freon can I was supposed to have.

So all good now? Cooling to like 40 ish degrees?

I'm not having the same luck with the evaporator fitting.

1st photo, on the firewall you can see the silver dots, is relatively where the speed nuts to mount the evaporator are, 3 lines are touching the firewall, both sides and the bottom

2nd photo, I decided just to cut the firewall for clearance

3rd photo, evaporator mounted in. Bolts in the holes they are supposed to be mounted in, have clearance now with 3/4" cut out of the bottom

4th photo, inside mounts don't line up either

Frustrating, thought this would be fairly straight forward.

IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG

I did not have that problem with mine, did you call them about the fitment issue.

Last edited:
I think that’s what mine looked like at first. When you put the cover plate on the firewall it pulls all the fitting together where they are supposed to be.

I think that’s what mine looked like at first. When you put the cover plate on the firewall it pulls all the fitting together where they are supposed to be.
No, I didn't call. Didn't think to try the plate either, the line farthest to the passenger side looks like its over 1/2 too far to the outside.

Not to be an ***, but BEFORE I cut a hole in the firewall I sure as **** would have made a phone call, post the question here, something......but then again I'm a shitty welder lol
:popcorn:

It takes me a bit to recall what I’ve done. So bare with me. I’m pretty sure I had to get a second pair of hands get the bolts lined up. Someone inside the car and tilt it to line up right. I lost half the pictures of the install.

1) Pulled the dash out to get the inside mounts in (if I was just upgrading the system and not doing a full project I definitely would have called the company to resolve the issue)

2) Not a lot of real estate underneath. Lots of electrical things to mount somewhere

IMG_7328.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG

Not to be an ***, but BEFORE I cut a hole in the firewall I sure as **** would have made a phone call, post the question here, something......but then again I'm a shitty welder lol
:popcorn:
Well, so far I have done a mini tub, subframe connectors, torque boxes, replaced driver floor pan, bigger trans tunnel for 6 speed, clearance frame rails for 5.7 hemi alternator, widened radiator support for 26" radiator. So, cutting firewall wasn't a big deal. I did wish it would just fit though.

Having all that room to work is nice. I did mine with the dash and full ineterior. The glove box location without the box is a great location for extra electronic controls. I had my ECM there but moved it to the top of the A/C box.

Yep sounds like welding isnt an issue for you.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Well, so far I have done a mini tub, subframe connectors, torque boxes, replaced driver floor pan, bigger trans tunnel for 6 speed, clearance frame rails for 5.7 hemi alternator, widened radiator support for 26" radiator. So, cutting firewall wasn't a big deal. I did wish it would just fit though.

I'm still waiting to paint my firewall but I mocked mine up with the dash put. For the inside bulkhead mount we had to drill new holes for the unit to sit level but the round playe covers them well. The mount to the cowel area was also too short and tilted the unit out at the bottom a lot. We made a 3/4 inch plate that mounted to the Cowell and tapped it 1/4 to bolt the support to. Made it pretty solid. I am out of town put will psy some photos when I get home

What are you going to use for a A/C compressor and belt/bracket configuration?
Which engine?
Sorry if this was already covered.

Which engine?
If your asking me i have a 5.7 from a '14 Durango. It uses the "car" accessories. I have stock A/C compressor that would go on the Durango, and stock power steering pump so the stock serpentine belt also works.

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

That’s pretty much what I have. 2004 5.7 truck. Yours will look a lot cleaner than mine. My compressor is up top.

Built aluminum plate. Need something to keep vibration from chaffing the lines, maybe drill holes a little bigger, need some sort of grommet.

IMG_7353.JPG

That part is done. Cut some grommets to size and got them on with a small screwdriver.

Now onto mounting ecu, fuse boxes, gauge controllers and wiring. Goal is to drive the car this summer, even if I don't get to finish the AC system.

IMG_7355.JPG

Which engine?
Still out of town. I am going to have an la 360 engine. Using a a sanden pump that came with the kit from classic auto air

@68 A are you installing the new kit with the bluetooth controller? Saw that was new this year and wondered about it.

No, I didn't know about bluetooth. I bought this kit 2 or 3 years ago, finally getting to the part of the build it needed to be installed. I'm going to build a custom dash, which I wish I had thought about before as this kit uses the original controls and cables, and, would be nice to have some easier controls to integrate into a new dash.

Vintage air doesn't list a kit for A bodies, I never talked with them if they have an evaporator that fits in these, I just assumed they don't.

No, I didn't know about bluetooth. I bought this kit 2 or 3 years ago, finally getting to the part of the build it needed to be installed. I'm going to build a custom dash, which I wish I had thought about before as this kit uses the original controls and cables, and, would be nice to have some easier controls to integrate into a new dash.

Vintage air doesn't list a kit for A bodies, I never talked with them if they have an evaporator that fits in these, I just assumed they don't.

Still out of town but I bought the classic auto air universal slimline controller which is a nice billet piece with lighting. I carefully scribed out with a dremmel the opening in the plastic surround about an 1/8th of an Inch and it fits in really nice. Here is the link
Universal Slim Line AC Controller | Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks.
I did get a 1973 heater radio bezel with the large opening as my original 72 one was in bad shape. I bought the leather look overlays from Detroit muscle instead of the wood grain and they are really nice too. I will post some pics when I get home been away on business for 2 weeks straight

-
Back