David Vizard bench flows a BBD 2bbl

-
There's endless info how to make 400 hp plus even above 1000 hp with turbo's what's actually has little info out is 250-350 hp for 273/318 which seem like a good chunk of the smallblock threads are about. Will this build help in that maybe maybe not.

You're 95% correct. The problem is almost everything Nick builds makes about 400hp--He can show you how to build a 400hp 340 and he can also show you how to build a 400hp 440. Until the supercharged 440 episode I honestly started thinking Nicks dyno was broken and "stuck" at 400hp--LOL Nope . I guess he is in his wheelhouse building smallblocks and bigblocks that seem to make around 400hp. Yes there are a few exceptions of course. J.Rob
I think Nick realized that, I've noticed some of his more recent dyno videos are of hairier stuff. Recently did a 600hp BBC iirc and an aftermarket cam comparison in a Pontiac 455.

Seems like his clients in Canada are more interested in stock-type builds for reliability and cruising as opposed to high-power builds for racing. Most of the cars in his shop are high-end restored muscle cars, not so much home-built hot rods or race machines.

I think Nick realized that, I've noticed some of his more recent dyno videos are of hairier stuff. Recently did a 600hp BBC iirc and an aftermarket cam comparison in a Pontiac 455.

Seems like his clients in Canada are more interested in stock-type builds for reliability and cruising as opposed to high-power builds for racing. Most of the cars in his shop are high-end restored muscle cars, not so much home-built hot rods or race machines.
We got a 10th of the population of the US, and half of it located on the coast of lake Ontario, Our car scene is a lot smaller and everything cost us twice as much.

Exactly this! Nick is probably more interested in getting more of the same business than racers chasing every last bit of power.

Isn't nick just doing what the customers want ? I don't think much of anything Nick does is his personal engines.

I'm sure he is listening to his customers. I'm just saying many of the featured builds do t seem to add up to the sum of the parts IMO. A 440 built with pocket ported heads and modern components/quality machining should make 1hp/ci fairly easily. I've actually found myself wondering how do you limit power to a level so consistently ? J.Rob

I was at a car show i think it was back in 2021. i was talking to a guy with a 71 Olds Cutlass. he said it had "750 horsepower" I believe it was a Big Block Chevy in it. I walked away thinking to myself "what does that 72 year old mane need with 750 horse on the street? To each his own I know, but at some point i would think the cars get to be not fun on the street. Its like the guy who owns a Ferrari but cant get out of 3rd gear because he doesnt live near the Autobahn

I was at a car show i think it was back in 2021. i was talking to a guy with a 71 Olds Cutlass. he said it had "750 horsepower" I believe it was a Big Block Chevy in it. I walked away thinking to myself "what does that 72 year old mane need with 750 horse on the street? To each his own I know, but at some point i would think the cars get to be not fun on the street. Its like the guy who owns a Ferrari but cant get out of 3rd gear because he doesnt live near the Autobahn

Fortunately, every car I’ve ever seen comes with an adjustable horsepower switch.

As long as you can use that switch you can have a million HP and it won’t matter.

In my opinion of using aftermarket parts on this build is limit it to what is cost of new verses referb'ing old junk.

Take the 318 con rod. How much cost to totally referb it and grind it lighter or just buy a set of Eagle H or I beams that are a bit longer to get to "O" deck with a stock or maby a 0.030" over piston? Then rebalance the stock crank after knife edging the counter weights and coating it. I'd bet they can take 4-5 pounds out of that cast crank.

Yes using Eagle rods will require new pistons with pin locks as the 'Teen' is not full floating. Could get the Eagle rod bushed for press fit but why, just get some newer pistons.

Use a good DEEP and baffeled oil pan with a scraper and power buldge. Oil pump with a direct cover drilled inlet of 5/8". Drill all oil passages MAX size.

Last edited:
this, 100% this.

as soon as machine and port work enters the equation it's immediately out of reach for most people's budget.

I'm all for blueprinting a 318, heck even with some cheapy aftermarket slugs. throw the best 318 heads mopar offered on there and whichever 2V cam, carb and intake shows the most promise and have at it. degree the cam, port match the intakes, replace the springs, give the valves a good 3 angle, run thinner head gaskets to bump the compression-- all the stuff that's cheap and doable on a backyard beer budget with common tools and know how.

run it on the dyno thru manifolds and see what it does. then snap on a set of headers and repeat. then plop on a $100 swap meet manifold and a 4bbl of choice and see what happens. icing on the cake, buy the cheapest summit +1 cam and see what that does.

that's all practical stuff that somebody just getting into the hobby would do. it's cheap, it's readily available and it's all doable without spending an arm and a leg.

once you start machine work and porting, you're just putting a monocle and top hat on a chicken and calling it a duck.

I'm willing to lay $$$ those heads don't have 1.78" intake valves at the conclusion of this little adventure, lol....
My thought is a 1.88 or maybe a 2.02 cut down to a 1.78 and a 50-55 degree seat. then the throat cut to match it. Just me thinking out loud.
IMO, UTG is a soap Opera...purely for entertainment. If he could make the money on a weekly show he'd do it but daily or every couple of days keeps the money coming in as per the Youtube algorithm.

.Remember "days of our Lives and General hospital..whos screwing who was the plot? its was there as an addiction for couch potato housewives. Uncle Tony will never be a racer he

doesn't drive on the street no license. It's a soap opera.YT commercials have replaced the soap company advertisements. The best thing anyone can do is get off their *** and go out to

the garage and work on something if you have it, watching UTG will make you stupid. Remember you have been warned. :)
As long as you keep your mind open, (i know it's hard at times) You can learn a LOT from Even a soap-Opera. there is plenty of so called Stupid people that can keep you from going down that road. That is Such a good lesson you don't even need to learn. I have been called in other words,...on this forum, stupid. Weather verbally or just in there mind. And I Bet, they learn something from it,...good bad or indifferent. There was still a learning possibility, if your mind was/is willing. Just my 2 cents.

Cents are over here is my thoughts.
lets see what i know now and what i learn from this when it all said and done. yeah i know the egg is hovering over my Head waiting to brake and port all over my face:rolleyes::lol:

You shave the deck as low as you can get away with and still be stiff enough to hold some compression. this allows you to shave the heads. this raised the compression, true.... but also allows the roof of the port to be raised(line of site).....maybe even welding of the valve cover rail to get more line of site. then the intake shaved just enough to match the roof of the intake to the "new roof of the head.

As i said before 50-55 intake seats and these tiny ports will need work work from the opening to the head gasket surface of the combustion chamber.

The rods........ recondition the large end of the rod just a little smaller, allowing just a little bit more offset.(sand standard bearing mating surfaces for the standard bearing to get back the standard crush????:realcrazy:) offset the small end of the rod with a larger hole/ wrist pin and enlarge the stock/Heavy piston. raising the piston compression height.

You could have a piston that pops up to high and would strike the head! Then, making the out deck of the flat top piston, so it would clear and end up with a "flat dome" top piston. Good compression on a short stroke/small bore engine.

Now with all of this.
Here is my question, Maybe i miss under stand...... but i thought light weight part didn't show as HP increase on the dyno. only in the car at the track??????
yes...no???

DV has some memory and speech problems since his brain injury.
Yeah, I understand Brain Injury issues very well. I have lost all of 2014 and most of 2015 due to one. Motorcycle hit by flying tire and impact with Concrete barrier at 75 MPH.

bike trash 2.JPG

bike trash 1.JPG

I’m all for offset grinding the crank if u can get bearings for it. I bought quite a few .060 bearings years ago. When u offset grind the crank u alway loose a little, u never get the full amount. The good thing is that u get about double the the stroke for the bearing used. It depends what shape the crank was in to start with. I have gotten .055 stroke x2 for a .110 gain. On a 3.75 crank the stroke increase of .110 =3.85. My pistons were .148 thou in the hole to start with then after they were.097. A standard bore 440 now becomes a 453 for a 13 cube gain. The .055 thou gives u a full point of compression. Kim

Last edited:
A 0.060" undersize offset regrind will get you +0.030" at TDC and +0.030" at BDC. So a 318's 3.31" becomes a 3.37 stroke. This brings a 318 out to 323.76 CI. Add in an over bore to clean up. At what costs? Just to get closer to a 0.0" deck? A 0.030" more crown will not give much toward 0.0 Deck, better but still a long way off.

Now do this and add in a longer rod to get to 0.0 deck or even better.....

Last edited:
A 0.060" undersize regrind will get you +0.030" at TDC and +0.030" at BDC. So a 318's 3.31" becomes a 3.37 stroke. This brings a 318 out to 323.76 CI. Add in an over bore to clean up. At what costs? Just to get closer to a 0.0" deck? A 0.030" more crown will not give much toward 0.0 Deck, better but still a long way off.

No, that’s not how it works. A regrind will net u nothing for stroke. U have to offset grind it. Re read my explanation. When u offset grind it your taking the minimum off of the outside and taking the max off of the inside of the journal. Kim

No, that’s not how it works. A regrind will net u nothing for stroke. U have to offset grind it. Re read my explanation. When u offset grind it your taking the minimum off of the outside and taking the max off of the inside of the journal. Kim
Fixed my post. Thanks for the RED X.

A 0.060" undersize offset regrind will get you +0.030" at TDC and +0.030" at BDC. So a 318's 3.31" becomes a 3.37 stroke. This brings a 318 out to 323.76 CI. Add in an over bore to clean up. At what costs? Just to get closer to a 0.0" deck? A 0.030" more crown will not give much toward 0.0 Deck, better but still a long way off.

.060 undersized wont get you .060 gain, got to take .010 off back side of journal to keep it truly round so .050 is what you get, .025 at tdc, .025 at bdc!! so 3.36 best you can do....DWB

.060 undersized wont get you .060 gain, got to take .010 off back side of journal to keep it truly round so .050 is what you get, .025 at tdc, .025 at bdc!! so 3.36 best you can do....DWB
Yep. True. But just spitballing here.

Then theres WELDING up and offset grinding. Not that I'd do it. But I have welded up some forged cranks that were not replacable or out of stock.

Now, the question, do you spend the big bucks doing an offset grind and spend big bucks referb'ing the 318 rods, or buy a set of better and longer rods that do not need referb'ing.

Gaining 4 cubic inches with a MAX offset grind to me is not money well spent.

I think the real point of offset grinding the crank would be to gain some compression.318 is notoriously low comp. Raise the pistons in the bore some. Not really to gain more cid.After all the real point of the build is to show case what can be done with stock parts.Looks like 302 heads might be used. Probably again to get more comp but also port velocity will help a small stock engine more than big 360 ports

Hi Guys and gals,
Let me wish everyone on A-bods a happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Can I start by saying that in the UK 'DV' is a GOD!
He flew in the face of known wisdom and showed up the 'powers to be' with a homemade flow bench.
Age has caught up with him like all of us so, be kind and respect your elders please...

David will be featuring my Weslake 426ci Nascar engine sometime soon once this 318 is done lol.
He was personal friends with another UK god of headwork Harry Weslake.
Harry was given a ton of Mopar Nascar engines back in the late sixties to develop.

Maybe Mother Mopar should have used the better head porter/developer of David Vizard???
This 'one off' Nascar development engine was to superceed the 426 hemi, once it was banned in 1970...
But as we know it all went 'pear shaped' in 1971!

Little known 'ovalport' 426-440 heads in cast iron!
These were going to be 'passenger car heads'!
So sad they didn't come to fruition?

2.250 intakes and 1.800 exhausts, now we is talking...

440 ovalports.jpg

1415885376326.jpg

2014-11-13 13.24.26.jpg

Last edited:
Thats right folks an Ovalport 440 head for the masses...
Much thicker flanges with the extra cooling passages for the spark-plus cooling, not seen again till 1978-79.

Shame the 'powers to be' liked the rectangle port 906's so much...
You don't 426-440 wedge pistons like this anymore lol...

Destroked 426-440 crankshaft with 4.320 bore pistons.
Much better breathing than the smaller 4.250, 426ci bores.

Weslake pistons.JPG

Ovalport 440 heads and rocker on.jpg

1415885188629.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back