David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Move the goalpost as always.
I wonder which would bring more $$$$ for st Jude’s when it’s sold off.......

The 2bbl 318, built around a set of self imposed “rules” that really don’t correlate to what most of the automotive world is doing.......
Or.......a 360/4bbl with the same level of effort applied to it.
Something that should be capable of solidly over 400hp.

You know.......something someone might actually.......”want”.

My guess is......... by the time this project is actually running........ the original premise behind the idea for this build will be nothing but a distant memory.
Totally agree.

a 5.2 magnum for economy build (which is the purpose in my eyes for building a 318, even if they want 300 or someone else wants 400 hp) or a 5.9 magnum for CHEAP Performance build.

Didn't Mopar Action Build a 450 horsepower 5.9 magnum for under $3,000?
Years ago I remember FABO members here pissed off at themselves for building LA 360's/408's with $6-8,000 they had sunk into their endeavor/build only to be matched with a Magnum (don't remember if he used Engine Quest heads) and moderate (not extensive) head porting and a cam.

This reminds me of my youth where we did fund raisers and drives for Band trips or Church trips washing cars or , much worse, walking door to door selling old popcorn and off-brand **** candy bars for money and golden-carrot-stick free/won camping supplies if we sold enough **** for someone.- working so hard it was like pennies per hour - when at the same time I realized that mowing lawns and ACTUAL WORKING paid so much more, faster, with none of the bullshit. It's like the magic-diet-pill or snake oil. And we the people keep chasing this **** for all eternity (now amazon...).

One of my high school classmates could roll a dandy, one handed while driving. No, he has never amounted to much, 61 and lives with his elderly mother.
but the good chit toke's out better in a bong,...rolling papers is fer mexican swag weed!!

Oh, I'm sure it was Cliff. That's absolutely his style.

I can't speak to Cars Illustrated because I never read it, but he'd gone off-radar in the Mopar rag mid-series (the Hemi one) well over a year prior.
Last time I saw Ciffs name he was writing for an Aero magazine.
I talked to Tony once about those old days, he told me a couple of things that went on, I won't go into detail, but one thing he did say is that they were pretty wild..
Check out Cars Illustrated if you can, it's a good laugh and they do stories on street racing back in the day.

Last time I saw Ciffs name he was writing for an Aero magazine.
I talked to Tony once about those old days, he told me a couple of things that went on, I won't go into detail, but one thing he did say is that they were pretty wild..
Check out Cars Illustrated if you can, it's a good laugh and they do stories on street racing back in the day.

I thought he was writing for MoPar Action? He was the last time I got a copy. They dicked me on a subscription so I never even buy a copy.

I thought he was writing for MoPar Action? He was the last time I got a copy. They dicked me on a subscription so I never even buy a copy.
Probably. I can't remember the last time I even looked at Mopar action. But I'm pretty sure I saw him doing some stuff in an Aero mag.. was quite a while ago.
Edit.
I had a look , he was contributing to the Aero section of Popular Mechanics back in the early 2000's

Last edited:
I remember reading his articles in the 80's or early 90's in one of the Mopar rags.

Intake 247cfm @.480 lift. Latest video
Thats pretty impressive for what he’s working with.
He said he made a bunch of mistakes earlier. PLEASE explain to me how did he recover..?
I was under the impression that these heads don't have alot?/as-much? metal to remove as the typical 340/360 iron head.
Did he remove even more metal to fix his ?loss of swirl? and/or metal-removing which was ?in the wrong place?,
I get the impression from reading MoparOfficial's posts that this guy doesn't know what he is doing porting these particular heads compared to the Mopar porters that we "generally" know of. An impression, not a manifesto or attack.
I always wondered how Ryan at shadydell put 2.02's in those heads.
Couldn't our Mopar porters do better? like why isn't he putting in mopar 1.88" (or even magnum 1.92" and new valve guides) intake valves and 1.60" exhaust valves?
All the hours of porting, the stones used in valve jobs, that has to be more expensive than buying some common valves.
These guys' (head porters, DV, machine shop guys, etc.) time invested has to be worth more than even the youtube viewer payout.

I don’t recall what year 318 came with the cut down 1.88/1.57 LS valves.

They knew they wouldn’t get there with the original guidelines(stock or stock replacement parts, metal removal only), so now it’s a free-for-all.
Lightweight pistons, super duper pushrods, LS valves........ the list of non-stock parts will continue to grow.

Darin Morgan said it best. Sorry Darin, but i'm about to butcher your quote......
But he said that the way he does pro stock head and the way some one else do them my be completely different but they will run the same at the track time, however, if his head went on the other guys motor and the other pro stock guys head when on his motor. The Would Both Be Down On POWER. nether one would even Qualify for the Race.

In other words there is more them One Way to skin a Cat and get the same end result.

As far as how did he recover???? he quit porting in a area when it lost flow, so there is vary small different made between that port and the next.
The other thing is that you will NEVER get the Exact same flow number on each port. No matter how hard you try. Maybe if you had a billet block that you machined into a head you might be able to get the same flow numbers on a bench. But even then i bet there is veriables between ports.

Did you see DV lighten up that stock rod. Wow that is a lot of hard work!!!!!
Let me enlighten you who don't under stand. yes that is FREE FREE FrEe!!!! but if you can't make all of them the same weight on the small end of the rod and the big end of the rod, it wont be balanced. So there is Why,
Way more time beyond what he showed, the requires more then a die grinder and your time.

And now here is were the "hidden" HUGE" $$$$$$ sign" come in to play. Because you don't just have the crank balance with a couple of holes driller in the counter weight.
You wait and see what that crank looks like when there done!!!!! And all that grinding and remove of metal YOU CAN't do. YOU will pay an exorbitant amount of money to the machine shop and the balance guy.

Now that i have went off on this rant:mob: I realize that my 408 stoker rod will come in lighter then the rods DV is doing and the piston will be close to the same weight as i my using........and the balance price was not that bad..............So I guess i'm talking out may ArSS again:realcrazy::lol:

Last edited:
I don’t recall what year 318 came with the cut down 1.88/1.57 LS valves.

They knew they wouldn’t get there with the original guidelines(stock or stock replacement parts, metal removal only), so now it’s a free-for-all.
Lightweight pistons, super duper pushrods, LS valves........ the list of non-stock parts will continue to grow.

If they have to bore the block, you have to give them a pass on the new pistons.

He said he made a bunch of mistakes earlier. PLEASE explain to me how did he recover..?
I was under the impression that these heads don't have alot?/as-much? metal to remove as the typical 340/360 iron head.
Did he remove even more metal to fix his ?loss of swirl? and/or metal-removing which was ?in the wrong place?,
I get the impression from reading MoparOfficial's posts that this guy doesn't know what he is doing porting these particular heads compared to the Mopar porters that we "generally" know of. An impression, not a manifesto or attack.
I always wondered how Ryan at shadydell put 2.02's in those heads.
Couldn't our Mopar porters do better? like why isn't he putting in mopar 1.88" (or even magnum 1.92" and new valve guides) intake valves and 1.60" exhaust valves?
All the hours of porting, the stones used in valve jobs, that has to be more expensive than buying some common valves.
These guys' (head porters, DV, machine shop guys, etc.) time invested has to be worth more than even the youtube viewer payout.

Are you asking me or Bakerlite? Or both?

Did you see DV lighten up that stock rod. Wow that is a lot of hard work!!!!!
Let me enlighten you who don't under stand. yes that is FREE FREE FrEe!!!! but if you can't make all of them the same weight on the small end of the rod and the big end of the rod, it wont be balanced. So there is Why,
Way more time beyond what he showed, the requires more then a die grinder and your time.

And now here is were the "hidden" HUGE" $$$$$$ sign" come in to play. Because you don't just have the crank balance with a couple of holes driller in the counter weight.
You wait and see what that crank looks like when there done!!!!! And all that grinding and remove of metal YOU CAN't do. YOU will pay an exorbitant amount of money to the machine shop and the balance guy.

Now that i have went off on this rant:mob: I realize that my 408 stoker has rod in it that will be lighter them them rods DV is doing and the piston will be close to the same weight as they my choose........and the balance price was not that bad..............So I guess i'm talking out may ArSS again:realcrazy::lol:
Yep. I have a set of Scat I beams. Weight on the box is 582 g. A stock 318 rod weighs ~726 (early style) or ~758 g. That works out to about 5 or 6 ounces lighter (converted b/c oz. is easier for me to visualize than grams) for the Scat rods, plus I get cap screws instead of bolts, the sides are smooth out of the box, and they're ready to go. Paid $439 plus sales tax, picked them up same day.

I watched DV's video on the rod work, I don't think he took off anywhere close to 5 ounces, and if it took 30 minutes per rod and you had to pay someone to do the work, I'd be willing to bet that just the labor cost would be $400 just for the beam work. So cheaper AND better just to go with the Scat rods. However, if I was on a really tight budget and could do the work myself, I think modifying the stock rods would be a worthwhile improvement. Sure it would require the engine to be rebalanced, but so do the Scat rods.

I think the DV/AW build is interesting and I enjoy watching the videos. Even if I can't do everything they do, they show the thought process of what goes into improving an engine and making parts choices, instead of just calling different companies or posting questions on internet forums and going with whatever advice you're given. Heck, I even learn stuff from watching UT's videos sometimes (like what NOT to do :) ).

If they have to bore the block, you have to give them a pass on the new pistons.

There are plenty of “stock replacement” pistons out there that would accommodate an over bore.

But that’s not even remotely close to what they’re talking about using.

It’s click bait BS...... that’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back