Doc's 76 Four Door Valiant

-
Thanks Joe, working on detailing the engine, need a break from all the sheet metal fab work:
DetailingTheHemiampTrans2_zps168f0ae1.jpg

It's the 545rfe, my son in law Barry is in the oil field business, he gave me a few gallons of Varsol degreaser which works real well. I wire brushed it after degreasing, plan is to use Eastwood's aluminum prep/aluma blast paint.

Block, timing cover and water pump get Eastwood's two part hemi orange paint .

Heads get a high heat etching primer followed by high temp aluminum paint:
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

Intend to leave the valve covers and intake stock for now, most of that is hidden beneath the engine cover anyway.

Soaking all the fasteners in Evaporust, was thinking about clear coating them once they are back on the engine, or paint them to match whatever component the fastener is part of. Any suggestions on what to do with fasteners?

Ended up sandblasting all the fasteners and clear coating them with VHT high heat out of a spray can after installing them. Hemi is now on the Alterktion K member and sitting on my high tech roll around. I'm sending the SRT8 Jeep exhaust manifolds out to Jet Hot, not sure what color they will be but leaning towards a light gray similar to the color on the heads.
IMAG2285_BURST002_zpsd796b0bf.jpg

Parts on the bar after a round in my Harbor Freight blast cabinet.
IMAG2248_zps01558c19.jpg

IMAG2251_BURST002_zps2cd835e5.jpg

Thanks Cevidicus, waiting on a back ordered oil pan, should be done with engine detail soon.

Thanks Mo-Cars, got to be 5 o'clock somewhere, right?

Coolant tubes were right up against the firewall with the engine in place, I cut off the ends at the back of the engine and installed AN hard line fittings with the intent of running flexible AN hose to the firewall bulkhead.
IMAG2339_zps8f00c16a.jpg

IMAG2348_zps3c8605f9.jpg

Backordered on the Milodon 31000 oil pan, won't ship till end of Sept. so, that only leaves the power steering pump install to complete most of the engine detailing. Then it's back to body work....

Went to Auto Zone for a serpentine belt to fit a 2012 Charger RT 5.7, it was too short and didn't fit. Ended up wrapping a piece of string around all the pulleys the same way the belt would go and then measured that string, which came out to 84". I took off 1/2" for the tensioner and looked up 83.5" belts on the Internet and found a Dayco #5060835. Returned the short belt to Auto Zone and exchanged it for the Dayco 83.5 belt which was still a tight fit but it worked.
IMAG2420_zps12a723ee.jpg

While I'm waiting on my back ordered oil pan it's time to get back to body work, there's plenty to keep me busy for a while.
IMAG2438_zps9b464007.jpg

Milodon pan was on eternal back order, took almost 3 months to get the dam thing, used the stock windage tray/gasket and ordered Milodon oil pick up #18331 which was a perfect fit with the 2009 Eagle engine. Braided stainless steel lines for the power steering pump came from Speedway #131101 for the Ford PS pump. Bracket for the pump provided by Tin Cup, many thanks for that go out to Tin!

Attachments

• IMAG2536.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMAG2539.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 370
Ordered a Be Cool radiator from Jegs #134-62264, has the inlet/outlet sized for the Hemi, it's pricey but it's a must have. Will be working on the radiator support area this weekend to get it ready for the new radiator, the battery has to be relocated due to the size of the radiator. Here's a link to a similar unit being installed in a 68 Valiant:
http://www.hotrod.com/news/1402-mopar-a-body-cooling-system/#.UvPtdBKlHjY.facebook

Attachments

• BeCool.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 355
The bees make a cool fender badge!

Attachments

• IMAG2546.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 366
Really like this color, with two tone grey interior and the ladder stripe on the hood.

Attachments

• Hemi Orange Duster With Black Grill.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 367
-
Back