Doc's 76 Four Door Valiant

-
IMAG1948_zpsc04fa286.jpg

Think I've been drinking too much, your car is sideways!

I have been drinking, but I thought I'd comment on what some very nice fabrication work you've been doing.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks for the compliments to both Joe and Keith, this is my first time to attempt a build like this, it can be tedious, but kudos from y'all help keep my spirits up (and numerous trips to the kegerator after a hard/hot day in the garage).

Had a half day off for a doctor appointment, couldn't help myself and spent the other half of the day grinding welds and applying some small amounts of fiberglass filler over my grinds to pretty it up:
GrindingWeldsampFiberglassFiller_zps33584c84.jpg

About half done with smoothing out the welds under the trans tunnel, will be time to flip the Valiant over the other way to get to the other side of the trans tunnel. I love flipping the car...
AfterFiller_zps2aeae8fc.jpg

Working on all the spots that need attention, this will take a while, but I can now see all the flaws thanks to the rotisserie.
IMAG2013_zpse38e8285.jpg

Removed the flanges along the passenger side frame rail for added clearance and welded the seams up and added some angle iron for bracing. Also notched a recessed area in the frame to clear the alternator.
IMAG2019_BURST002_zps4aede83f.jpg

Smoothed in the holes on both sides of the cowl that were once intended for a fresh air system when the Valiant had a 383 under the hood.
IMAG2018_BURST002_zps9dd49818.jpg

Smoothed in the areas where the shock towers used to be, smoothed frame rail, added angle iron reinforcement:
IMAG2120_BURST002_zps510c9b69.jpg

IMAG2125_zps9ccdc7d8.jpg

Curious why you notched the shock tower area like that. It's not necessary for the Gen3. You putting a Gen2 in it?

Cuda SRT8, you are right, I didn't have to remove the shock towers. But, after I installed the G3 hemi I found it was real tight to service/access the exhaust/cylinder head area on the passenger side, and the shock towers are no longer needed with the Alterktion front suspension. The photos below are not real good, but they do show the tighter clearances on the passenger side:
IMAG1630_zpsecc5daa1.jpg
IMAG1631_BURST002_zpsf3ce6f62.jpg

OK, I understand. Of course, I found the same clearances with my Gen3 swap, but I just moved my engine over about 5/8" toward the driver side. I know Bill places the engine in the stock location with his AlterKs and when looking down into the engine bay (with engine in place), my engine looked real crooked in there. I found that by moving the engine over, it doesn't look so crooked; provides extra clearance on the pass. side and still provides enough clearance to the steering column, etc. on the driver side.

Did you modify your AlterK? It appears either that, or Bill has angled the front part as it comes forward to the front mounting bolt? Looks much better as (about) a 45 degree turn as opposed to the previous 90 degree turn.

Ah, great idea moving it all over a bit, I should have contacted you for a second opinion before I opted for radical surgery! I purchased my AlterK late last year, made no mods to it, so maybe Bill made some recent changes in production?

BTW, love your build, hope mine ends up at least half as awesome.

-
Back