Dogs...

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Dogs can bark up to 500 times a day. That's a ruff estimate.

As a kid we were camping, the guy across the road from us was yelling at his dog to stop barking, so after awhile my old man walks out to the road and says to the guy “I don’t mind the dog barking just quit your yelling

I've been a dog-owner for just 9 years,
and here are some things I discovered early on;
1) dogs need some specific things, like;
a) exercise
b) structure, ie things happening in a timely and predictable way
c) discipline,
d) affection.
these things together, and in that order, are to the dog, proof of love .
2) dogs are like toddlers. Give them what they need, and they be quiet.
3) but you can't treat them like they are toddlers, cuz
4) sometimes they need the kind of discipline that you should never dispense to a child.
5) beating on them is NOT the answer
6) bribing them is not the answer
7) sometimes/usually, you just have to remind them who is alpha
8) Yelling at a barking dog never works for longer than a few seconds, and as the human, you yelling at your dog, only proves that you're a lousy dog-owner, cuz;
9) sometimes the dog gets fixated in a barking-mode, and it takes knuckles in the ribs to break the behavior and/or
10) some dogs are just barkers, good luck tryinta change them.
11) sometimes you just gotta realize that you and your dog are not compatible, that divorce is the best option, and possibly you should not get another dog, until you yourself change. Dogs recognize weak leaders.
My dog was like that to/for several previous owners, rejected at least three times. I got him as a three year old, and it took over a year to get him to come out of his depression. Part of that, I'm sure, might have been me learning to be a first-time dog owner.
But when he came out, glory-be, he is such a treasure.
He is coming 12 this month, and his age is starting to show. even as are mine; and the wife and I are starting to realize, that he's gonna pass on before we do. We got a second dog a year ago, as a two year old female, to take Georgie into his golden years, and to then usher us into ours. Those two are getting on super fine, and altho she was an obsessive barker when we got her, she's come around to my program.
BTW
my neighbors have noticed that my dogs roam freely, and stay on my unfenced town yard, are quiet, well-behaved, but always curious to greet or meet their dogs in a pleasant and respectful manner. And so it is that Their dogs sometimes stay at our house, sometimes up to two weeks. and when they return, the owners marvel at the change in their dogs, so I tell them
Dogs need three things.............. I just gave them what they needed,
starting with;
hold on there Buster, I am alpha,
and sometimes, just knuckles in their ribs is all it takes.
And then they say; "oh I could never do that."
And so, in a short time, their so-called pet, is back to it's old familiar self.
The trick for me is to be alert enough to figure out when they need what, and to be there for them. And if/when their owners are deadbeats, to go over to their house and to as lovingly as possible, get them to surrender their neglected dog to me.
My block is pretty quiet these days.
Now if I could just get thru to that young fella three doors over to put a stinking muffler on his diesel truck, that wakes me up at 6AM every morning............
Update, he said he installed a "resonator" last week.
Good for you laddie, but it's a diesel! it's ALWAYS at WOT.
and he now has three kids in diapers. Two more, and he can quit work and live on the government Family-Allowance program. Oh to have such a lofty goal.
ah well, he's on Maternity-leave again, so;
so that diesel is not starting up as often anymore, and
Yippie that truck is sure to turn into a 7-passenger van soon.
But that dummy is pretty smart; he times his babies so that he gets every summer on mat-leave. ........
See; this is what is happening to some of our younger godless generation of lazzyazz video gamer sons.
Wait, I digress. lol.
This young fella had FOUR dogs, three of them howling Huskys. Well, the Husky's started disappearing when the babies started showing up; maybe they went to stu, IDK ..............
Update; no, they went to "the farm".............
Sometimes divorce is the best answer.
Like I said,
10) some dogs are just barkers, good luck tryinta change them.
11) sometimes you just gotta realize that you and your dog are not compatible, that divorce is the best option, and possibly you should not get another dog, until you yourself change. Dogs recognize weak leaders.
My dog was like that for several previous owners, rejected at least three times. I got him as a three year old, and it took over a year to get him to come out of his depression. Part of that, I'm sure, might have been me learning to be a first-time dog owner.
But when he came out, glory-be, he is such a treasure.
He is coming 12 this month, and his age is starting to show. even as are mine; and the wife and I are starting to realize, that he's gonna pass on before we do. We got a second dog a year ago, as a two year old female, to take Georgie into his golden years, and to then usher us into ours. Those two are getting on super fine, and altho she was an obsessive barker when we got her, she's come around to my program.
BTW
my neighbors have noticed that my dogs roam freely, and stay on my unfenced town yard, are quiet, well-behaved, but always curious to greet or meet their dogs in a pleasant and respectful manner. And so it is that Their dogs sometimes stay at our house, sometimes up to two weeks. and when they return the owners marvel at the change in their dogs, so I tell them
Dogs need three things......... I just gave them what they needed,
starting with
hold on there Buster, I am alpha,
and sometimes, just knuckles in their ribs is all it takes.
And then they say; "oh I could never do that."
And so, in a short time, their so-called pet, is back to it's old familiar self.
The trick for me is to be alert enough to figure out when they need when, and to be there for them. And if/when their owners are deadbeats, to go over to their house and to as lovingly as possible, get them to surrender their neglected dog to me.
Now if I could just get thru to that young fella three doors over to put a stinking muffler on his diesel truck, that wakes me up at 6AM every morning............
Update, he said he installed a "resonator" last week,
good for you laddie, but it's a diesel! it's ALWAYS at WOT.
and he now has three kids in diapers. Two more and he can quit work and live on the government Family-Allowance program. oh to have has such a lofty goal.
ah well, he's on Maternity-leave again, so;
so that diesel is not starting up as often anymore, and
Yippie that truck is sure to turn into a 7-passenger van soon.
But that dummy is pretty smart; he times his babies so that he gets every summer off work, on mat-leave. ........
See; this is what is happening to our younger godless generation of sons.
Wait, I digress. lol
He had FOUR dogs, three of them howling Huskys. Well, the Husky's started disappearing when the babies started showing up; maybe they went to stu, IDK ..............
Update; no, they went to "the farm".............
Sometimes divorce is the best answer.
Like I said, My block is pretty quiet these days.
I think we're down to about 11 dogs in 11 houses, now, and all are inside dogs, but some of the dog-owners have two, and one has four. Surprisingly, the one with four is pretty quiet. But you know, I visit with them a fair bit .........
Hyup, another thing I learned is that you have too visit with the owners if you want to be able to sleep at night. I don't need to visit the non dog owners.
We have been in this house now, for just about 30 years; easily triple of the next neighbor. and I got this. We are all of us, one big happy family, even the kid with the diesel, and the chain-smoker, and the Roto-Rooter man.

Last edited:
We always get the pup a year or two before the old dog passes. That way we don’t have to teach it everything. Just who is alpha. The old guy teaches him what he gets paid for To stay home, who are friends, bark when someone comes on the yard etc. On dog #5 now and that method works for me. Also if you want your dog to listen to you only have one, more than that and they will just play amongst themselves. My opinions.

Monkey See Monkey Do. Our old dog Mugger is 13 years and a few months. She is a mutt with a full-blooded Pointer on her father's side. We also had her sister Lucy who was just a downright brilliant dog. They were separated and grew up in different homes until Mugger's owner could not take care of her and we took her back. After a brief getting to know each other again they were two peas in a pod. Both good dogs but Lucy just excelled at everything. When Lucy died Mugger was not "right " anymore so we went and got a pointer puppy to cheer her up and give her a companion. It backfired in a way as Mugger is now going through her second childhood but the life this puppy breathed back into the old girl was amazing. They fight and play until poor old Mugger just can't go anymore. Georgia just turned 7 months yesterday and she is a very loving dog and the most athletic dog we have ever had. Even when compared to the lost gem Lucy.

IMG_20240803_170135_061.jpg

Our dog just passed on last week, he had a good 16 year run.
Very smart and obedient, my wife trained him from a pup, best dog we ever had.
He was a black lab.

Sorry for your loss sireland. We lost our black gsd a couple months ago, at age six, to cancer. I don't know how I would have done, except for my three male gsd's. Dog's love keeps me going.

Thanks for the condolences guys, he had a good life, he just aged out, no illness or anything.
He had a little spell before the wife went to work, then turned for the worse after she left.
He could not even get up, my son and I made him comfortable.
He hung on until my wife came home, (he was pretty much her dog), he raised his head up when she came home.
Then I seen his eyes glaze over.
Wife rushed him to the vet, but he passed right after she got him there.

Our dog just passed on last week, he had a good 16 year run.
Very smart and obedient, my wife trained him from a pup, best dog we ever had.
He was a black lab.
Labs are usually a very strong, smart, loving breed. Dog #4 was a Lab, St. Bernard cross. Huge dog. Got him when the boys were small. He loved those boys they would ride him poke him play fight with him but if someone tried to hurt them he would eat them. It was great play mate/babysitter for dog food

Thanks for the condolences guys, he had a good life, he just aged out, no illness or anything.
He had a little spell before the wife went to work, then turned for the worse after she left.
He could not even get up, my son and I made him comfortable.
He hung on until my wife came home, (he was pretty much her dog), he raised his head up when she came home.
Then I seen his eyes glaze over.
Wife rushed him to the vet, but he passed right after she got him there.
It happens. It's a tough one too. We had two cats, brother and sister. Brother was mine and sister was Kitty's. Mine died at 16 and Kitty's died at 18. That's a dang good run for a cat. They aren't pets at that stage. They're family and that's the truth.

It happens. It's a tough one too. We had two cats, brother and sister. Brother was mine and sister was Kitty's. Mine died at 16 and Kitty's died at 18. That's a dang good run for a cat. They aren't pets at that stage. They're family and that's the truth.
My gf and I have three gsd's. Two of them are "ours" The deaf one is MINE!
(Magnums ears never came up. He can't hear, so he doesn't need em.)

IMG_20240524_102714.jpg

IMG_20240429_200028.jpg

IMG_20230712_121458.jpg

We got 2 dogs from a rescue this spring. Our last dog we had for 16 years passed in 2022. Here’s a pic of me & Susan with little Miss Bella on the beach a few weeks ago. She’s 8 years old and had belonged to an elderly couple in Upstate SC. The lady passed away, and the gentleman was almost blind and couldn’t take care of her properly. I can’t imagine how hard it must have been to give her up! She took to us very quickly and loves us just like we do her!
DE3DE097-C741-4183-9F2E-9FEA3B76A352.jpeg

This one is Thurman! We got him from the same rescue. We don’t know his story, other than someone found him walking right down the middle of Wade Hampton Blvd. in Greenville, SC! 5 lane highway, and it must just not have been his time! He’s very old and has a lot of health issues, but we didn’t care. He’s a very calm and stoic old guy. Never gets excited unless food is involved, then he starts his little variety show, lol. We’re trying to make his last years the best ones he’s had. Looking at these pics, I guess y’all can tell we’re Shitzoo lovers!
E0EBEAF5-AF52-49F3-AFB6-42784B376B0B.jpeg

So true, we have a cat, he is about 7 years old, he is real special, he had a hard start in life.

My wife found him under the front porch, when he was a little tiny thing, most likely not even weened, it was going to be the coldest night of the winter, like -20 that night, he might not have made it.

Anyways we kept him, made a kitty door in the basement where he could go in and out as he pleased.

He would take off for a couple days, but always come back beat to crap when he got a little older.
Ears tore up, patches of fur missing.
He always was small, but he liked to fight, and was not too good at it.
One day he came home with his eye tore out, took him to the vet, $750 later, we have a one-eye, no nutt kitty.

The kitty door went away, and he is just an inside cat now. But he is the most loving cat we have ever had.

So true, we have a cat, he is about 7 years old, he is real special, he had a hard start in life.

My wife found him under the front porch, when he was a little tiny thing, most likely not even weened, it was going to be the coldest night of the winter, like -20 that night, he might not have made it.

Anyways we kept him, made a kitty door in the basement where he could go in and out as he pleased.

He would take off for a couple days, but always come back beat to crap when he got a little older.
Ears tore up, patches of fur missing.
He always was small, but he liked to fight, and was not too good at it.
One day he came home with his eye tore out, took him to the vet, $750 later, we have a one-eye, no nutt kitty.

The kitty door went away, and he is just an inside cat now. But he is the most loving cat we have ever had.
We have Tiger. She just wandered up with a badly injured and infected eye. Had to have it removed, but she's the sweetest cat. It's like they know you're helping them.

We have Tiger. She just wandered up with a badly injured and infected eye. Had to have it removed, but she's the sweetest cat. It's like they know you're helping them.
You get attached to them fast.
I named our cat ALF, not for the TV show, but a acronym for Annoying Little Fu#%er.

We had a mouse in the house, and my buddy was making fun of the cat, saying he was worthless, could not catch a mouse.
I looked at him and said, if my wife would take his collar off that has a bell on it, at least give the one-eye cat a chance to catch the mouse.
That night my wife removed his collar, and he caught the mouse.

Karma came back to my buddy, he ended up getting a mouse in his house, and wanted to borrow my worthless cat.

I just laughed and said sure, but he has to wear his collar.

You get attached to them fast.
I named our cat ALF, not for the TV show, but a acronym for Annoying Little Fu#%er.

We had a mouse in the house, and my buddy was making fun of the cat, saying he was worthless, could not catch a mouse.
I looked at him and said, if my wife would take his collar off that has a bell on it, at least give the one-eye cat a chance to catch the mouse.
That night my wife removed his collar, and he caught the mouse.

Karma came back to my buddy, he ended up getting a mouse in his house, and wanted to borrow my worthless cat.

I just laughed and said sure, but he has to wear his collar.
:rofl::rofl:

-
Back