EARLY A body hooker header install P/N 5208 UPDATE!

-
For the money they get for the Hookers you could get the TTIs or the Dougs & have some left over.

why,,, what is the cost of hookers these days??? from what ive read the TTI and DOUGS prices are out of control,,,

custom headers is the way to go if you can efford it

why,,, what is the cost of hookers these days??? from what ive read the TTI and DOUGS prices are out of control,,,

custom headers is the way to go if you can efford it

Summit wants $904.95 for the Hooker 5208s. They get $859.95 for the Dougs & the TTIs were around $775 last I checked. I think that's for the coated version of each set.

Summit wants $904.95 for the Hooker 5208s. They get $859.95 for the Dougs & the TTIs were around $775 last I checked. I think that's for the coated version of each set.

wooooow hard to imagine hookers are that expensive,,,i paid less then 300 bucks im sure,, but that was in the mid 1980s and crfemec coating didnt even exsist,,,back then the hot coating to have was sprayed on alumia coat,,,and it was ugly,,,,for around 80 bucks

Well I,m exchanging the Dougs 1 5/8 for some Hedmans fenderwell 1 7/8 part # HED-75110-66 these are ceramic coated and not cheap,but hey neither is the 408 with ported Eddy heads.These will help it breath down the track!

I am running 7.10X15 front tires, but I did stretch the front part of the wheelwell.

7.10-15 front tires.JPG

left header.JPG

Mickey Thompson rears.JPG

5208hkr's are still $552 on Amazon and there is are 2 sets on craigslist for 300 and 550 in CA., set of Dougs too but he wants 600.

Changing the spark plugs on the Hooker fenderwell headers in my 64 Signet are fairly easy for 7 of them but next to last plug on passenger side makes you cuss. I have had these particular headers on 2 of my vehicles and this one been on over 10 of the 20 something years I've owned it. Putting another engine it it next weekend, will have photos then.

I believe Hooker also makes a 1/78" tubes in the Fenderwell but that may be for the W2, oh well check it out

Hedman makes a few sizes, the big ones are for W2 heads and the hooker primaries are 1 5/8 with a 2.5 collector.

All of the old installation pics are gone. Anyone have any good ones? Maybe a pic of the holes in fenderwells with the headers off. also exhaust setup.

Thanks,
Mike

All of the old installation pics are gone. Anyone have any good ones? Maybe a pic of the holes in fenderwells with the headers off. also exhaust setup.

Thanks,
Mike

i dont have any pics,,but installed 2 sets of hooker 5208 on 2 early A cars,, there is a diagram in the box of where to cut the inner fender,, a rather large hole,,,

larger then needed we experimented and started out with a smaller hole,,, jack the car up as high as you can get it,,remove the front tires,,,start the hole down at the bottom just above the frame rail,,,enlargening it till its just big enough to twist the header in,,,spinning or snaking it in will allow for a much smaller hole in the fender well,,not al the tubes go thru the fender well on the hookers,, you do not have to cut the inner fender up as high as the instructions say,,,, they fit with a 4 speed also,,,

I'm looking for those headers for my '68.
Where did you find them and how much??
Any installation issues?

I think early a headers are 66 and earlier a bodys. You will do well with the 67 thru 76 headers providing you are running a smallblock. You can get them for $175 all day long thru summit, jegs, ebay, etc.

yes the term early A is 1962 thru 1966
1967 and up A bodies are a wider engine bay,and many more choices for headers

Anyone have the original pictures of this install? They aren't hosted anymore but I'm intersted in seeing them.

they were several years old and my old HD crashed... you can try archives.org - they did it with the spitfire post but i am not sure how

I have a 64 Dodge Dart GT that had the fenderwell headers installed in the 1980 s. The guy that originally bought them and installed them said that he bought them from direct connection and look very different from the ones I ve seen here. I ll try to post a couple of pics. I think Ill have to fix the ones I have. My fenderwells rise high then about staight down and I had to make my own collector for clearance and angle for the 2 1/2 inch pipes.

I paid under 300 for the Hooker 5208 when I bought them in the 80's, they been on 3 of my Valiants and now in the Signet since 1989 and its been through 4 engines. Never rusted and they are made in Mexico, couple small dents but what the heck..
SP001.jpg

I never have a problem with the installation of them and that's cause I've had them so long. My setup has 2 1/2" straight pipes after the headers straight back to Supertrapps under the rear valance.

Ouch! Cutting those holes has gotta hurt! With all due respect, your car looks great and I bet it goes.....It's your car, do what you like, but there's no way I'd do that to my car. I would splurge for Doug's headers or deal with Spitfires before that, or buy a car that was already cut. Just my view.

What I want to know is, are there any problems associated with the headers hanging down inside the fenderwell? Like water splashing up (if you're caught in the rain) or dirt or anything else? I suppose you have to make sure tire clearance isn't a problem before you start right?
I HAVE A 64 AND A 65 BARRACUDA where can i get headers made that are right not over tight and let em breathe for under 650 a set i refuse to cut mine also for reasons you described and others some 1 told me mabee tight tuck but i dont want to pull the moter again to find out they bang evrywhereand still only got a 5/8 header NEED TO LET IT BREATH MAN HHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPP??
any info write me please

Anybody have any pics and/or measurements of the "smaller" version of the fenderwell cuts that are supposed to be made for the Hooker 5208s?

I found the attached picture after consulting Dr. Google. Would love to see the other fender on this car or a similar one and have some basic measurements to go by.

thanks FABO

Hooker Header Early A 69-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I HAVE A 64 AND A 65 BARRACUDA where can i get headers made that are right not over tight and let em breathe for under 650 a set i refuse to cut mine also for reasons you described and others some 1 told me mabee tight tuck but i dont want to pull the moter again to find out they bang evrywhereand still only got a 5/8 header NEED TO LET IT BREATH MAN HHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPP??
any info write me please

There are no such thing as early A headers for under 650 a set. They just don't exsist. Go with Doug's if you are going to run them but be prepared to spend a grand for ceramic coated ones.

Anybody have any pics and/or measurements of the "smaller" version of the fenderwell cuts that are supposed to be made for the Hooker 5208s?

I found the attached picture after consulting Dr. Google. Would love to see the other fender on this car or a similar one and have some basic measurements to go by.

thanks FABO

i posted that pic, some where on this site,, let me look see where i have the other fendr pic pm me with ur e mail ill e mail it to you,, and u can post it,,,the pic is in a file that wont load

i posted that pic, some where on this site,, let me look see where i have the other fendr pic pm me with ur e mail ill e mail it to you,, and u can post it,,,the pic is in a file that wont load

Sent you a PM with my email. Send me those pics if you can find them.

thanks!

I also would be interested in seeing those pics.

all i have are 2 pics and my friend sold the car never finished,,,the way to install the headers with these smaller holes is to jack up the car on jack stands remove the wheels and as you slide the header down in to the opening u spin the header to clear any thing in its path, here are the 2 pics

Hooker Header Early A 74-1.jpg

Hooker Header Early A 74-2.jpg

Hooker Header Early A 74-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the guy that now ownes this car is in canada on this forum some thing like i got a 67 gt is his screen name

-
Back