Ebay GT45 + 5.9 Magnum + E85 blow thru

-
Got a "new" 5.9 JY guinea pig. This is a 94 model with unknown miles. Crusty on the outside but I already pulled a head and looks clean on the inside. Still see the crosshatching on the bores. I might just throw my cam and top end on this one, clean it up a bit and let it eat PSI while I build a forged shortblock out of my other one.
View attachment 1715299069
Nice, not wasting any time! Looks like it must have come from a van. My vote is cam, top end and let it eat!!!

Honestly I’d spend the extra $350-$400 and get cometic head gaskets and head studs. Open up the rings and let it fly.

Honestly I’d spend the extra $350-$400 and get cometic head gaskets and head studs. Open up the rings and let it fly.
I think the ARP head bolts and Felpro 1008s worked pretty good. I think I'm going to fully tear down this new JY motor and see what I have to work with first. I want to throw something together on a budget while I build a new forged short block. I might re-do my hot side also and try that Vsracing 7875 with a 50mm wastegate. Stay tuned!

Got a "new" 5.9 JY guinea pig. This is a 94 model with unknown miles. Crusty on the outside but I already pulled a head and looks clean on the inside. Still see the crosshatching on the bores. I might just throw my cam and top end on this one, clean it up a bit and let it eat PSI while I build a forged shortblock out of my other one.
View attachment 1715299069

I love this, I bet the internet would blow up if the LS guys got wind of a stock 10 second turbo small block Mopar running around. LOL they would say not possible.

I think the ARP head bolts and Felpro 1008s worked pretty good. I think I'm going to fully tear down this new JY motor and see what I have to work with first. I want to throw something together on a budget while I build a new forged short block. I might re-do my hot side also and try that Vsracing 7875 with a 50mm wastegate. Stay tuned!

I would spend a few hundred on some basis stuff so you don't throw away this motor in a short amount of time. Rod bolts, bearings, and new rings would save you a lot of head aches in the long run.

Just received my VS Racing 7875 and I can say it is much smaller that the old GT45 turbo I had lighter too. Happy with it so far as far as overall size and weight. Hopefully will start in the hot side soon.

Just received my VS Racing 7875 and I can say it is much smaller that the old GT45 turbo I had lighter too. Happy with it so far as far as overall size and weight. Hopefully will start in the hot side soon.
That's great to hear! Would love to see a side-by-side shot of them both.

I just read through the hole thread and was very impressed with what you accomplished on that stock 5.9. I have one I'm throwing in my duster as a similar build next year hopefully.

A little update.
Since the motor was out I had a few "might as well" moments. So I decided, might as well strip the engine bay, patch the old header exit holes, patch some other holes in the firewall, clean up some other areas and repaint. I redid my fuel lines, going to move electronics stuff inside the cabin, route front brake lines inside the cabin and away from heat...currently sitting in white epoxy primer.
Might redo the hotside, debating twin Gt35s tucked under the fenders or a single S475.. decisions, decisions.
Rotating assembly is being balanced at the machine shop. Wiseco forged flat tops, Scat forged IBeams, stock cast 5.9 crank. This is the new '94 5.9 I'm building.
IMG_20190817_161443689.jpg
IMG_20190817_161511360.jpg
IMG_20190728_192242645.jpg

New build is in and running but still have a long way to go before we are street or track worthy.
804874B0-C83E-47EF-BDE6-89136604DB11.jpeg

Looking good! I love the idea of getting rid of the radiator support and gaining some room!

It’s a 94 5.9 with Wiseco 10.5 forged pistons, gapped rings for turbo, scat forged rods, cast crank all ext balanced. New cam grind from Oregon, and the rest of the top end is the same; EQ Heads, single plane intake, Fitech EFI. Same Gt45 turbo setup for now.

Great Job! Looking forward to the results. What’s the target boost?
Will be a while before it sees any serious boost. I have my lite 5psi spring in the WG for now. But eventually I’d like to take it to 10-12psi like I did with the last combo on this gt45. I’m starting my tune all over from scratch with the new combo, plus my ECU went bad on the Fitech. They replaced it and I don’t even want to attempt to load any of my old tunes on the newer ECU.

And for anybody considering boosting a stock bottom end 5.9, I say go for it! I think my old combo could have gone a lot longer had I not made some rookie mistakes. My distributor got loose and advanced too far plus I never locked out the mechanical advance so it had been adding additional timing even when I was trying to retard it with the Fitech. And don’t forget to gap your rings!

I agree and same here! My old engine is still alive and well after a piston and 2 Head gaskets minus the turbo. But if you don’t find the limits and break it then you never get the opportunity to upgrade!

I asked on this forum a while ago what were the limits of the Magnum stock pistons. Hahaha last year I found out. I was surprised how long they lasted. I ran 650 HP at the wheels for a long time. However I eventually cracked a piston. It lasted longer than I thought. It's now forged

650 at the wheels is stout! Anything over about 450 wheel and it’s spin city on the street.
Low timing, a slightly rich AFR, and sneaking up on boost and they will last. Good news is there in low demand which makes then cheap.

Last edited:
It’s a 94 5.9 with Wiseco 10.5 forged pistons, gapped rings for turbo, scat forged rods, cast crank all ext balanced. New cam grind from Oregon, and the rest of the top end is the same; EQ Heads, single plane intake, Fitech EFI. Same Gt45 turbo setup for now.

Out of curiosity what did you gap the rings at?

-
Back