Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
DD, I am sure someone will beat me to the punch, but I just bought three Duster parts cars. When I start to dismantle I will let you know what I see. I pulled down the cardboard one out of the Demon and small c-shaped clips held the liner to the backboard. It all snugged up under the roof line trim. The C Pillar or Sail portion was separate. Mine was disintegrating so I trashed it. I found some ABS replacements, but I can't tell you about quality or fit, not there yet.

I'm thinking the car had a cloth 4 bow headliner. like I said the bows were in the trunk and there was a cardboard liner up there but no fabric glued to it, so it must have been on the bows. I cant figure what the bows attached to. The car did have upgraded dash trim so if you could get a fabric headliner on bows maybe this car had one..

Do you have the board? I did not take notice what it looked like, but I think you should have had same as my 75. There was no fabric, no bows. It was just a color layer on the board. Cant say exactly what it was cause the surface of mine was quite deteriorated. My 'board' is actually layers of paper and foam. If yours is still intact, you could just cover it with headliner fabric. Mine was trashed and it still came out OK.

It was a dense cardboard like substance that was all mangled and rodent infested...
Ok thats 2 votes for the bows not being for this car! :eek:ops:

Dont have a clue about the bow type. Didn't Al just do his? He should be able to tell you if it s possible to do. Otherwise, unless you can find a decent board, the ABS may be your only good option.

Both my 73 and 74 had the cardboard head liner. They were originally covered with a thin textured vinyl as near as I could tell, but most of it was peeling off both. They were both in pretty good shape other than the texturing peeling off so my wife covered it with some tacky glue and fabric. It turned out pretty nice.

Well OK then. It's an ABS headliner for Misty. I have a set of headliner bows that I don't need then....

Anyway, going to keep progressing with little things.

Going to use this air cleaner housing with the orange snorkel, which was representative of what would have come on a 74 Duster...

View attachment image-2231515404.jpg

The bows were used up to 69 My 70 Dart and 76 Duster both have painted cardboard. Had to fix the holes in my Dart liner and plan on covering it with leather.
Post the bows for sale or trade in classifieds. There is always some one looking for them

Holy Ch-moly! I thought I was looking at one of those pictures of freight being unloaded from the shipping docks on the coast. Usually when I move it looks more like a hillbilly parade of pickup trucks. My boys would have broken out the paintball guns and played 'gotcha' between all those containers. LOL!

Good luck!

We are using 4 of them. They are 8 x 8 x 16. One is for the outdoor stuff like swing set , trampoline, concrete statues and all those garden tools Dartn440 hates that hang on the walls in my garage. The other 3 are for furniture and belongings. It shouldn't be too bad since we have all weekend and evenings on Monday and Tuesday before we load furniture on Wednesday then beds and mattresses on Thursday morning. They will pull the boxes on Thursday and send them to the new place when I want them. Heading to the Residence Inn for a few days with the family while I get the bedrooms painted and the wood floors downstairs refinished. Still I hate the process, but it will be worth it. It's funny you mentioned the hillbilly parade of pickup trucks. The. Very first time I moved us as a married couple was just like that. Crap stacked wildly in two pickups. Of course my bride is trying to be calm but after a few miles on I 287 she polity asks if I'm worried about anything flying out of the back. I say sweetheart, please don't worry about that where I come from this how we move and it's never a problem, I have done this dozens of times. With that, we here this giant woosh sound and trash bag fly out of the back of my pickup. Next thing I know I find myself along with my beautiful new wife picking up what seamed like a 100 pair of her panties and bras off the ******* highway.... 22 years later she's still my wife, I can't for the life of me figure why she is still with me, She has had plenty of chances to escape yet she hasn't. I'm the luckiest hillbilly on earth, we now use a mover or equipment like this if we move, and she will not stand for me or any of my kids owning a ******* pickup truck!

In storage nice and safe, you no longer have to be afraid of the garden tools falling on it.
But watch out for the kamikaze looking lamp in the corner.

I was never afraid of the rest of my family's things hurting the car. They know how much I love the car and I know how much they love me.
My wife has been so supportive about me building the car (except when I paint stuff) it's no big deal to keep the shovels and rakes close to the car and not close to where the kids walk. It's also ok to hang her dining room chandelier in with Misty while we move...

Just want that new garage built already, but may need to put her in the existing garage once the new bedroom is done above it.

Took a spin past the new house yesterday with Aaron.

View attachment image-4069052653.jpg

Over that garage will be the new Master Bedroom and to the right will be a new garage for Misty. Aaron is trying t get me to build a temporary pod within the garage so we can bring the car over right away.....

I'm thinking about it. Life isn't the same without that car around.

Took a spin past the new house yesterday with Aaron.

View attachment 1714869817

Over that garage will be the new Master Bedroom and to the right will be a new garage for Misty. Aaron is trying t get me to build a temporary pod within the garage so we can bring the car over right away.....

I'm thinking about it. Life isn't the same without that car around.

What's the time frame on the construction? You probably won't have a lot of time to work on it anyway at first. But, if construction drags on through the Summer...

No dragging on of anything.
6 to 8 weeks for all work to be completed or its my ***

No dragging on of anything.
6 to 8 weeks for all work to be completed or its my ***

In that case, I don't think I would waste time on anything temporary. By the time you get it done and get Misty home, you will be undoing it and wasting time you could actually be working on her.

Hello out there in A-Body land!
It's been a moth sine I put my project in the storage unit.
We close on our new house next Wednesday and then the remodeled begins. Going to leave misty in storage till we're through with the work.
I'll be. Hacking away at it non stop....

Hello out there in A-Body land!
It's been a moth sine I put my project in the storage unit.
We close on our new house next Wednesday and then the remodeled begins. Going to leave misty in storage till we're through with the work.
I'll be. Hacking away at it non stop....

- Hope it all goes as planned, but when life starts to get in the way of projects the delays sometimes snowball. As close as you are to finishing the Duster I'm sure it'll get done. Good luck with the remodeling.

Nice Place DD- Just wanted to let you know that none of the 74s came with the bows for a headliner. Textured cardboard material

- Hope it all goes as planned, but when life starts to get in the way of projects the delays sometimes snowball. As close as you are to finishing the Duster I'm sure it'll get done. Good luck with the remodeling.

Since I was 5 my dad took me to work with him when I wasn't in school. Building houses in our blood. I'm mobilizing a small army to get it done fast and resume normal life. We lived in a residence inn for a week and have been in my in-laws house for the last week since they are away at their Florida place. Thank God we used the pods, it was one thing we didn't need to deal with during this delay in the closing, they just keep them in their yard till you ask for them back.
Getting the wood floors refinished starting the afternoon of the closing then painting the bedrooms. It will be livable at that point and we can move in before the outlaws get back from Florida. First outside thing is the foundation for the kitchen expansion and Misty's garage which should happen after next weekend.....

View attachment image-1365336048.jpg

Looks like a beautiful place. I love a colonial style home. I know what you say about moving. I am being threatened with one more move before I retire....just pains me to think about the possibility. With the number 7 child on the way it just becomes a pain in the ***. I hear what you say about the wife, last house I completely remodeled...100%, then got orders to move after I was told I could retire there. I am not lifting one more finger here until I heari can do my last 4. My favorite part of the house was the solid 3/4 inch cherry floors. My brother cut the wood on his farm on 9/11, dried it, milled it, and drove it down from PA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 228
-
Back