Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
what’s the wipers status?
Still can’t get them. I feel like I will dent the body metal if I pry any harder. So weird. They went on so easily. Still not sure why the shafts would have been in the wrong position. I’ve turned the wipers on and off several times before putting the arms on, to see if everything worked…so you’d think they would have come to rest in the proper spot
Just waiting to hear if a friend has a pulled tool to try

Still can’t get them. I feel like I will dent the body metal if I pry any harder. So weird. They went on so easily. Still not sure why the shafts would have been in the wrong position. I’ve turned the wipers on and off several times before putting the arms on, to see if everything worked…so you’d think they would have come to rest in the proper spot
Just waiting to hear if a friend has a pulled tool to try

Are you releasing them? They have a lock that has to be released before they come off. Can't find a picture right now, sorry.

Worst case, I would pull the arm off the motor so you can at least rotate the wipers. You will have to do it by feel as it is up under the dash, but just takes a 3/8 or 7/16 socket. Center of the dash, way up at the top.

Looks like this:

s-l1600.webp

Are you releasing them? They have a lock that has to be released before they come off. Can't find a picture right now, sorry.

Worst case, I would pull the arm off the motor so you can at least rotate the wipers. You will have to do it by feel as it is up under the dash, but just takes a 3/8 or 7/16 socket. Center of the dash, way up at the top.

Looks like this:

s-l1600.webp
Thanks. Ya, mine have a different tab than that. You push it out with a flat screwdriver. I push it while prying and it literallg doesn’t budge. I’ll try to take a decent picture

The shafts aren’t in the wrong position.
Well I finally got the wiper arms off, woth the help of Noel. It’s as I suspected. Something has been done wrong. When I turn the. Wipers on and off, they come to rest in the up position….which obviously means that as soon as they are turned on, they go downwards towards the hood. Unbelievable. The ******* idiot, Brian Trask strikes again. Now by what I’m googling and have been told on here, I have to somehow take apart and hook stuff up properly….under the dash that took me hours and hours to get installed properly. So no wipers for now. I have no desire to go backwards again at this point. Since my windows can’t and won’t work, i can only drive it on zero chance of rain days anyway. Thanks guys

Just found this and thought it might help but looks like you got em off. Let me see when I can come by and help. Gonna be next week unfortunately

20240821_114938.jpg

20240821_114957.jpg

Hey guys. Question. I bought an aftermarket 727 transmission dipstick. It’s very hard to read. It’s like a bluish/anodized, shiny colour. Very poor design. Im also not convinced or confident that the scale markings are accurate. Anybody near me have one that I could buy, borrow or look at? My level appears to be a bit high, but don’t want to take any out until I know for sure. Thanks!

About the wipers......If 3 speed (variable), is the motor clocked correctly?

View attachment 1716293220
Hey. Thanks. They are just 2 speed. Noel stopped by today. Had a great day. Got new oil pressure sensor installed (now working), installed new rad, fan and shroud….amd set the timing. Started and runs like a champ!
He also had a look at the wiper setup and thinks we just have to flip the assembly over that’s under the dash. More great news discovered though…the moron, Brian Trask didn’t bother putting any gaskets on the wiper studs….so water can just pour right through the gaping holes. Gonna have to pick up a gasket kit and try to pull them out from underneath re do it properly
But it was a great day!! Lots done! We didn’t drive far, but temp gauge seemed perfect. It’s cooler weather temps now, so I will continue to monitor

Should have said “starts and runs like a champ”. Even after getting warm, shutting off and re starting. Dont even need to touch the gas pedal. We think the timing is now somewhere around 12-15. I’ll be taking it in to a performance shop in the next few weeks to have the carb tuned and the timing dialed in perfectly.

We also discovered that my idle goes up when I push the brake pedal. So that might explain why the brakes feel so horrible to me….maybe a bad brake booster?? Vac leak?? Does this make sense?

Should have said “starts and runs like a champ”. Even after getting warm, shutting off and re starting. Dont even need to touch the gas pedal. We think the timing is now somewhere around 12-15. I’ll be taking it in to a performance shop in the next few weeks to have the carb tuned and the timing dialed in perfectly.

We also discovered that my idle goes up when I push the brake pedal. So that might explain why the brakes feel so horrible to me….maybe a bad brake booster?? Vac leak?? Does this make sense?
Setting timing is very, very simple to do. You need to get a good light and learn to do it yourself. That way, you know what you've done and what you have.

Setting timing is very, very simple to do. You need to get a good light and learn to do it yourself. That way, you know what you've done and what you have.
I learned how to do it today. But the snap on light we used is an older one, with no display on it. We set it using the 10 before and 10 after scale that is stamped onto the pulley type thing. The reason don’t know the exactly number is because the scale only goes up to 10 and you can’t see the line once you advance it much past that 10 mark

I plan on getting a timing gun, but that still doesn’t give me the experience of knowing exactly what it is that my engine/car wants, or what to actually set it to. Even the engine builder emailed me detailing that the total timing should be around 34….but that’s at a certain RPM, not at idle etc. That all situations and engines are different. I definitely want to learn and I’m trying

Check out this thread Here , it can probably help you out

I learned how to do it today. But the snap on light we used is an older one, with no display on it. We set it using the 10 before and 10 after scale that is stamped onto the pulley type thing. The reason don’t know the exactly number is because the scale only goes up to 10 and you can’t see the line once you advance it much past that 10 mark

I plan on getting a timing gun, but that still doesn’t give me the experience of knowing exactly what it is that my engine/car wants, or what to actually set it to. Even the engine builder emailed me detailing that the total timing should be around 34….but that’s at a certain RPM, not at idle etc. That all situations and engines are different. I definitely want to learn and I’m trying
Oh also, check out this link as well for a lot of good information/schooling on timing an engine
The Ultimate Guide To Shooting and Adjusting Engine Timing

That's actually the best way to do it. You can mark the balancer farther using the timing tab. See here for how:

Hey guys. So update: I bought a digital timing gun. I’ve set it to 14 initial timing and set the idle to around 720 or so. It’s running like a watch! I have an appointment booked for a shop to set up my carb and optimize everything hopefully. But even setting the timing myself helped it a lot. I appreciate everyone’s knowledge on here!

Oh and also. Does anyone know if you can buy pre formed carpet for around my coffin console? I can’t find any info online. I velcroed my door panels etc on for now until I can figure out how to make my glass work. I’m tired of looking at it unfinished. lol. Also, I painted my seat backs and they are ready to go on. Weirdest thing…I can’t find the 2 top holes for the screws. Gonna mount all other screws, then drill holes. But weird that I can’t seem to find any

Since it’s running good now, I stopped out to dads grave for a visit a few days ago….and I may have peeled a bit of rubber to let him hear the old girl run again :)

IMG_1576.jpeg

IMG_1584.jpeg

IMG_1583.jpeg

IMG_1559.jpeg

-
Back