Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Ok thanks for the info. Can you just thread it directly into engine? To check while under the hood? I’d like to keep my factory gauges inside. But use one like you sent to monitor things and make sure everything is working properly before I drive the car around
A gauge like that uses a sending unit that threads into the intake manifold and is usually permanently mounted in the car, usually under the dash, the signal from the sending unit is carried to the gauge by a wire, it is not possible to thread it directly into the engine. Where is the sending unit located that you are using right now? Ive never seen an autometer used as a temporary gauge, but Im sure you could make something work, kind of pricey though for something that would only be used briefly.

A gauge like that uses a sending unit that threads into the intake manifold and is usually permanently mounted in the car, usually under the dash, the signal from the sending unit is carried to the gauge by a wire, it is not possible to thread it directly into the engine. Where is the sending unit located that you are using right now? Ive never seen an autometer used as a temporary gauge, but Im sure you could make something work, kind of pricey though for something that would only be used briefly.
A gauge like that is typically hung down low under the dash in a non-intrusive manner. And as @70SwingerGuy notes, you only need to route a single wire from the sender in the intake manifold to the gauge inside.

Also as mentioned, be sure to get a gauge that has good differentiation to show temps where you want it to be - like between 160 and 200F. The gauge he references is good but Autometer has many styles for you to pick from if you prefer a different look (I use the Sport-Comp series).

Jegs sells a thermostat spacer that has the thread in ports for an aftermarket temperature gauge.

Awesome. Thanks so much guys! It sounds like I could make something work. I’ll look more into it, now that I have somewhere to start

I really would like to keep things as factory looking as possible, but I also want to enjoy driving the car without worrying. I could at least run one temporarily until all of the kinks are worked out

Also. I just got back from a couple hours at a guys house who used to build mopars. He set my timing to what he said was “light” for now. But the big thing was that he looked at temps and thinks I’m fine. He said I was taking temps in wrong spots. That they should be taken on upper rad hose. If thats the case, the numbers are good. Which would make sense, because my gauge in the car never goes above half while driving…so by the cars gauge I’m well within the limits they want the engine to be in
He said taking temp from the metal of the block is a completely different number that can’t be compared to the 180-190 that I’m looking for….as those numbers are read by the probe that’s reading coolant temp

I’m sure that might be a controversial topic, but he’s a smart guy….and I hope he’s right. I will keep my eye on things tomorrow and see how my drive goes, to go to my alignment appointment.

I really appreciate all of the help and support on here

I’ll still be putting a proper gauge in, to be 100% sure of my temps. Gonna order one today, if I can’t find one in orillia

I’ll still be putting a proper gauge in, to be 100% sure of my temps. Gonna order one today, if I can’t find one in orillia
What I would recommend, is putting in both a good temperature gauge, as well as an oil pressure gauge, these are the two most critical levels that you want to monitor, and I wouldn't trust either to a 50yr old dash gauge. As @Demonx2 pointed out, these gauges can be tucked unobtrusively under the dash so as not to deter too much from the original look, and like he says, if you are going to go this route, look around, Autometer has lots of different styles of gauges! And dont be afraid to reach out to Autometer to ask questions, there are lots of different types of gauges and you want to make sure you get what you need and what will work best for you. They can be mounted in either a flat panel(easiest way) which comes in 1,2, or 3 gauge style, or like I did in mounting cups in either chrome or black. Ive attached pics of both styles.
Personally, I run a trio of Autometers under my dash, oil, temp, and volts(amp gauge bypassed in the cluster) in separate mounting cups, and I love the way it looks :)
cup.jpg
panel.jpg

Last edited:
If you are considering gauges, if possible, buy good Autometer gauges. I was fooled into thinking I had a low oil pressure problem by a cheap gauge. I am a cheap guy, but I learned my lesson about cheap gauges. They will read fine in the middle of range, but especially at the low end of range, they are not accurate at all. Oh, and I also learned that Autogauge by Autometer is still cheap crap. Done fooled like I was.

Cley

What I would recommend, is putting in both a good temperature gauge, as well as an oil pressure gauge, these are the two most critical levels that you want to monitor, and I wouldn't trust either to a 50yr old dash gauge. As @Demonx2 pointed out, these gauges can be tucked unobtrusively under the dash so as not to deter too much from the original look, and like he says, if you are going to go this route, look around, Autometer has lots of different styles of gauges! And dont be afraid to reach out to Autometer to ask questions, there are lots of different types of gauges and you want to make sure you get what you need and what will work best for you. They can be mounted in either a flat panel(easiest way) which comes in 1,2, or 3 gauge style, or like I did in mounting cups in either chrome or black. Ive attached pics of both styles.
Personally, I run a trio of Autometers under my dash, oil, temp, and volts(amp gauge bypassed in the cluster) in separate mounting cups, and I love the way it looks :)
View attachment 1716277754View attachment 1716277755
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I actually like the look of them too, but kind of want to keep it looking exactly like it did when my dad owned it. Although, I good always buy them and use them for the first while. Getting used to temps etc, then take out of I choose to. Or leave them in, if I decide I’m ok with them being there. After all, it’s only a couple screw holes in the bottom of the dash

If you are considering gauges, if possible, buy good Autometer gauges. I was fooled into thinking I had a low oil pressure problem by a cheap gauge. I am a cheap guy, but I learned my lesson about cheap gauges. They will read fine in the middle of range, but especially at the low end of range, they are not accurate at all. Oh, and I also learned that Autogauge by Autometer is still cheap crap. Done fooled like I was.

Cley
Thanks a bunch! Yep. 100% agree. You usually get what you pay for

@dads71 , @missing linc makes a really good point here, if you compare his gauges, his dash gauge is right in the middle and his actual temp gauge is reading about 160ish(beauty temp). Your dash gauge when right in the middle is reading 215(definitely high) according to the temperature you took. So the accuracy of his dash gauge can also be debated; it has always been my personal experience that a factory gauge(in whatever vehicle) will show less then half when at a good running temp, and yet his is showing half way when hes operating at a respectable 160ish. Ive always found with a dash gauge, if you are showing half, you are running hot. And that may be the point hes trying to make :) But of course that can vary from vehicle to vehicle.
This is a a good example of inconsistency, and how you should always go with an actual temp gauge for an actual true reading.
Ive had a couple of beers, I hope Im explaining my point clearly. :)

Last edited:
@dads71 , @missing linc makes a really good point here, if you compare his gauges, his dash gauge is right in the middle and his actual temp gauge is reading about 160ish(beauty temp). Your dash gauge when right in the middle is reading 215(definitely high) according to the temperature you took. So the accuracy of his dash gauge can also be debated; it has always been my personal experience that a factory gauge(in whatever vehicle) will show less then half when at a good running temp, and yet his is showing half way when hes operating at a respectable 160ish. Ive always found with a dash gauge, if you are showing half, you are running hot. And that may be the point hes trying to make :) But of course that can vary from vehicle to vehicle.
This is a a good example of inconsistency, and how you should always go with an actual temp gauge for an actual true reading.
Exactly what I was trying to say, thanks.

That car has a mild 318 wirh aluminum heads, an aluminum radiator and I think a 160* thermostat in it. It was recently purchased by my brother and lives in my garage. Even when we have really pushed it hard I haven't seen the temperature over 180*.

Exactly what I was trying to say, thanks.

That car has a mild 318 wirh aluminum heads, an aluminum radiator and I think a 160* thermostat in it. It was recently purchased by my brother and lives in my garage. Even when we have really pushed it hard I haven't seen the temperature over 180*.
So unlike "that car has a hot engine " . Your brothers car has a "cold engine ". Please excuse my stupid sense of humor.

Thanks. I totally get what you’re saying. I was meaning that if his factory gauge is reading half, but the aftermarket gauge is reading 160, that’s a good thing for my situation. As I said in a previous post, I believe I was reading the temp in the wrong spot on the engine. When I read the upper rad hose or the short hose that just circulates the coolant to the heater box it reads pretty much bang on what it should read (although there seems to be different opinions on an ideal temp). But anywhere between 165 and 190….depending on idling or driving.

I met up with a friend yesterday who has given me a rad to try (factory correct). It appears that my housing/bracket that holds my core in place is wrong. His rad should allow me to install my proper clutch fan and my rad shroud. I’ll report the findings on here, once I’m finished. I have another friend offering to lend me a temp gauge to put in the engine to see what readings I get from it.

In the end, I think I might have been overthinking things. There seems to be no solid instruction or set in stone place to point a laser thermometer on the internet. I think it can be used as a quick reference, when another gauge is failing or in question. But again, I was told by 2 mechanics now that I was pointing it at the wrong spot. My factory gauge has never shown it as getting too hot

Once I have the rad thing sorted out and proper fan and shroud on, I’ll post the findings. Also when my friend hooks up his aftermarket temp gauge

On a good note, my alignment is now done, exhaust leaks fixed and steering clicking fixed. Drives down the road very nicely

On a bad note, my transmission appears yo be leaking between it and the engine. I’m told maybe the **** face damaged the gasket while installing
Onto the next….

Not sure there is a gasket. Check dipstick tube. It may not be in correctly

Yes. The way he said it seemed like he was told there was a gasket between the engine and trans. That was my first thought also. The pump.

Not sure there is a gasket. Check dipstick tube. It may not be in correctly

Yes. The way he said it seemed like he was told there was a gasket between the engine and trans. That was my first thought also. The pump.
Ya. I’m not sure what gasket they meant, but it’s a gasket that can apparently get pinched while putting the transmission into place, if you aren’t careful

Definitely sounds like the pump.
Thanks. I was told to keep watching because sometimes they can leak but seal up. The odd time there is no leak at all on the floor overnight. But usually a tiny puddle. I check fluid every day

IMG_1050.jpeg

-
Back