Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Here's what I run on mine.....I don't trust the clutch fan :)

1721161426177.jpeg

No, that's correct. The core of the rad is installed closer to the engine.

That fan is wrong as well. Probably out of an aspen or Diplomat or something.
Hmm. Ok thanks. They told me today that the core was way too far back. I’m not sure what else could explain my original clutch fan not fitting
Will it hurt to try this fan? Although I can’t fit the shroud, it looks very aggressive. I was love to get it running enough to keep my alignment appointment. But definitely not going to risk overheating

Hmm. Ok thanks. They told me today that the core was way too far back. I’m not sure what else could explain my original clutch fan not fitting
Will it hurt to try this fan? Although I can’t fit the shroud, it looks very aggressive. I was love to get it running enough to keep my alignment appointment. But definitely not going to risk overheating
I'd give it a try....Make sure that it clears your hoses and rad tank, and keep track of your fingers.

The whole hating clutch fan thing is just me. See if you can fit the thin Hayden clutch that was posted earlier on. Just make sure before you spend money that you don't have to.

The whole hating clutch fan thing is just me. See if you can fit the thin Hayden clutch that was posted earlier on. Just make sure before you spend money that you don't have to.
Ya. I took mine in to moparts today and he said that mine is the “thinnest” clutch fan you can get (of any that he had in stock). But maybe the Hayden one is thinner. Mine is just under 2-1/4”, as seen in pic

IMG_1076.jpeg

I usually do, but keep track of your temps. You don't want it to boil. Without a rad cap, the boiling temp will be lower than with a cap.

You should be able to see some movement of coolant as the t-stat opens. Leave a little space in the rad so it doesn't overflow.

See post 765 from @Demonx2

So here are the temps after I installed new rad cap and the new 5 blade fan- still no shroud. I also tightened my temp gauge in the block and it started working again
I did the exact same 10 minute drive as before. Temps have lowered, but are they ok now? Brand new engine. Ran and dyno’d at engine builders

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

Just got back from a 20 min drive. Temp is now back up at around 215. I guess that’s still too hot. It’s pretty warm here today. 27 degrees. Also, I put fuel in the car when I ran to town….and now my fuel gauge suddenly doesn’t work. Lmffffffao.
Thats it for today.
Do you guys think 215 degrees is too warm to be driving it in for its alignment? Thanks

215 is getting warm....There must be a problem somewhere. Having said that, if it doesn't get any higher i would do it. My Sprinter RV hits 225 when climbing steep grades, but drops back going down the other side. I thing my Ram's t-stat is 205 if I am not mistaken.

Have you checked the stat, and put a spring in the lower hose? How is your timing?

215 is getting warm....There must be a problem somewhere. Having said that, if it doesn't get any higher i would do it. My Sprinter RV hits 225 when climbing steep grades, but drops back going down the other side. I thing my Ram's t-stat is 205 if I am not mistaken.

Have you checked the stat, and put a spring in the lower hose? How is your timing?
Thanks. I can’t find a spring. I was thinking of swapping out the thermostat tomorrow. I bought a 180 and a 160 thermostat
I’ve never had the timing checked

keep pushing forward, take the victories as they come and learn from every experience... Im a big fan of your story and an even bigger fan of the way your pushing forward and fixing the mistakes that the previous shop made... much respect to you... Rich

keep pushing forward, take the victories as they come and learn from every experience... Im a big fan of your story and an even bigger fan of the way your pushing forward and fixing the mistakes that the previous shop made... much respect to you... Rich
Thanks so much! I’m trying my best. Some days are better than others with this mess. I’m not finding much online about temp readings on the steel with a laser thermometer. Maybe it’s not an accurate measurement. My temp gauge in the car has never gone above half. I’m going to try to find a mechanical gauge that I can screw into the spot where the temp sensor is. I’ll just pull the sensor out for now and pay attention to a gauge that tells the coolant temp. Maybe by my thermometer reading the steel, it’s giving a hotter measurement than it actually is

So you can leave really early and pull over and let it cool down if you really want to try keep the appointment.

Ya. I took mine in to moparts today and he said that mine is the “thinnest” clutch fan you can get (of any that he had in stock). But maybe the Hayden one is thinner. Mine is just under 2-1/4”, as seen in pic

View attachment 1716277002
The Hayden "shortie" #2947 verbiage says it is 2.7" tall. So that would be taller than yours if it's only 2.25". Hmmm....

As for driving it to the alignment, keep the cap on and drive it. If it does get too hot, pull over, idle it for a few minutes, then shut it off and wait for it to cool.

You'll want a 7-blade fan like was shown in a prior pic. So perhaps place an ad to see who might have one for sale.

The Hayden "shortie" #2947 verbiage says it is 2.7" tall. So that would be taller than yours if it's only 2.25". Hmmm....

As for driving it to the alignment, keep the cap on and drive it. If it does get too hot, pull over, idle it for a few minutes, then shut it off and wait for it to cool.

You'll want a 7-blade fan like was shown in a prior pic. So perhaps place an ad to see who might have one for sale.
Ya thanks guys. Thats the plan. I’ll leave early and keep a close eye on the temps.
Ya, Im at a loss as to how my fan won’t fit. The only thing that makes sense at this point is if he mounted the engine too far forward in the car, or if water pumps come with smaller “snouts” on them. Although I measured one at moparts today and it was same as the one that’s on my engine. No clue at this point

No, that's correct. The core of the rad is installed closer to the engine.

That fan is wrong as well. Probably out of an aspen or Diplomat or something.
You were right. My friend verified with his rad and his core is almost all the way to the water pump side of the rad frame too. He has a 1971 340 duster

Ya thanks guys. Thats the plan. I’ll leave early and keep a close eye on the temps.
Ya, Im at a loss as to how my fan won’t fit. The only thing that makes sense at this point is if he mounted the engine too far forward in the car, or if water pumps come with smaller “snouts” on them. Although I measured one at moparts today and it was same as the one that’s on my engine. No clue at this point
I can't see any way that the engine could have been mounted forward, that would throw every other part of the driveline off, no, I think your radiator got fubared somehow. As mentioned previously, if the water pump were shorter, your pulleys would not line up. I would drive it to the alignment shop, keeping an eye on the temperature and not pushing it hard.
I sure hate all of the **** ups you're having to deal with, have you looked into suing the asshole?

I can't see any way that the engine could have been mounted forward, that would throw every other part of the driveline off, no, I think your radiator got fubared somehow. As mentioned previously, if the water pump were shorter, your pulleys would not line up. I would drive it to the alignment shop, keeping an eye on the temperature and not pushing it hard.
I sure hate all of the **** ups you're having to deal with, have you looked into suing the asshole?
Ya. My plan is to go visit Noel (friend with 71 duster), after I verify that my temps are stable and ok…so I can drive my car to his place and do some comparison measurements etc

Thanks. It definitely sucks. I hate that the guy has 3 or 4 more cars at his shop and that he’s doing the same thing to other people. I am definitely going to try to do something legally against him. Even if it’s just to try to stop him from building cars.

Ohhh….and if you’re looking for someone to build you a car….Brian Trask…Filmore Saskatchewan

-
Back