Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Or I try to lower the shroud to centered up and down, but then it seems really close to the lower rad hose etc

If I lower the shroud to centered, there are fins exposed at the top of the shroud. As in, it doesn’t cover the fins. If I center it, there are fins showing top and bottom. I also need to find fine thread bolts for the old fan. I’m missing 3

IMG_1048.jpeg

IMG_1049.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

I'm thinking you will have to center the shroud to the fan. It's location on the rad will be determined by that. How wide is that rad?

Cley

I'm thinking you will have to center the shroud to the fan. It's location on the rad will be determined by that. How wide is that rad?

Cley
Thanks! I looked back at a pic that I took of a friends duster a while ago and his was centered and find showing above. I’m just centering now! I’ll send pics. Rad is about 22.5” wide

If there are holes in the flange, that is probably where the shroud should go. Being all stock, it should all bolt together without drilling new holes.

I think you are overthinking it.

If there are holes in the flange, that is probably where the shroud should go. Being all stock, it should all bolt together without drilling new holes.

I think you are overthinking it.
Ya. I thought so too. But my rad is original rad and has no holes or provisions for attaching shroud. It even stumped the owner of national moparts. He told me that if have to take it to a rad shop to have brackets made up and soldered on or figure out another way. He looked up my rad number and said he had no idea why it didn’t have anything on it to attach shroud

Is there room for the fan? Looks like it will hit the radiator

Is there room for the fan? Looks like it will hit the radiator
Hmm. I sure hope so. I’ll find out tonight or in morning!
Parts store only had this thermostat. Should I be drilling a hole, or waiting and getting a better one?

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

Did Mopar stop using shrouds for awhile? Went out to look at my '73 project car and no shroud and no holes in the flanges for one. It's a stripper /6 model so doesn't mean the 340 cars wouldn't have one. I though maybe I could give some insight as to where to drill the holes.

Did Mopar stop using shrouds for awhile? Went out to look at my '73 project car and no shroud and no holes in the flanges for one. It's a stripper /6 model so doesn't mean the 340 cars wouldn't have one. I though maybe I could give some insight as to where to drill the holes.
Funny you say that. Nigel, at national moparts was so baffled by my rad that he pulled 2 of his reconditioned ones down from storage to show me what mine should look like…..only to see that his didn’t have holes either

Leaning towards maybe your car didn't come with one, or the radiator is wrong for the car. Either way, I would bolt the bigger fan on and see if it works without the shroud and go from there.

I would say a 340 car would have a shroud. My 71 did. I have the original radiator and shroud. Not currently on the car but, it came that way.

Found a post on Moparts saying the the 975 radiator is standard cooling 2 row radiator. There was also an HD option with 3 rows, part number 976. Maybe the HD got a shroud and the standard didn't?

Here is one with the same part number 3443975, but it has mounts for the shroud.

-
Back