Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
The '70 service manual would seem to support that all 340 cars got a shroud regardless of what transmission and AC or not.

1721081556881.png

To me, it seems logical that they got one. Can't imagine why the one here wouldn't have the mounts, and why Nigel would have 2 without them.

Thanks! I looked back at a pic that I took of a friends duster a while ago and his was centered and find showing above. I’m just centering now! I’ll send pics. Rad is about 22.5” wide
Keep in mind that the fan location dictates the shroud location. It is fixed to the engine and doesn't move up/down or left/right. The fan should be roughly equal distance all the way around the shroud and be roughly half in and half out of the shroud.

Thanks guys. I’m heading out shortly to get the shroud mounted, now that I have the bolts to hold the fan to the clutch. I couldn’t get studs with nuts, but got bolts with lock washers. Hoping that will be ok
I’ll post some pics once it’s mounted. Really hoping the fan/shroud combination helps with the heat issue
I also got a new temp sensor, new rad cap and a new thermostat. Not gonna try thermostat until I see the results from other stuff. The only thermostat they had doesn’t have a hole in it or secondary valve. Should I be drilling a hole? If so, where? Thanks

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

Hey guys. Need some advice. I’m trying to put the new fan on. I will have to really squeeze it in to make it fit. Then even once I do, the clutch will only be 3/8-1/2” away from the find on rad. Is that normal and ok??

Is there room for the fan? Looks like it will hit the radiator
Hey. I just posted about that. I can fit it, but just barely. The front of the clutch will be within 3/8”-1/2” from radiator fins. Is that ok? It’s original rad and fan. So I’m assuming being that close will be ok??

Well, after all of that, the fan won’t fit. Unbelievable. Very hard to not swear. I just can’t win. Thanks for the messages, guys

In my 70 Dart, the clutch fan is aprox 3/4" from the rad, and the closest part of the fan blade is about 1 1/8" and I have no problems

In my 70 Dart, the clutch fan is aprox 3/4" from the rad, and the closest part of the fan blade is about 1 1/8" and I have no problems
Thanks. Mine won’t even fit. Not even close, with pulley on the shaft.
The only explanation is if the new water pump housing sticks out farther than the original factory one. Because I have original rad and clutch fan. This is the water pump the engine builder used

IMG_1061.jpeg

Although even that doesn’t make much sense to me, because if the water pump housing was shorter, the pulleys wouldn’t line up anymore. No idea

Although even that doesn’t make much sense to me, because if the water pump housing was shorter, the pulleys wouldn’t line up anymore. No idea
Do you have the original 340 Fan or has it been swapped out?

Never mind, I see it now

Some times you can loosen engine and trans mounts and get it to move rear ward 1/4 inch or so. I know my car I have moved it forward/rearward for various clearances over the years

If water pump were too long your water pump pulley would not line up with other pulleys.

If rad support was removed/replaced it could also be offset a tad.

Some times you can loosen engine and trans mounts and get it to move rear ward 1/4 inch or so. I know my car I have moved it forward/rearward for various clearances over the years

If water pump were too long your water pump pulley would not line up with other pulleys.

If rad support was removed/replaced it could also be offset a tad.
Ya. That makes sense. Thanks. Even if I could gain 1/4” or so, I’m not sure it would fit past the nub on end of water pump shaft. If it did, my blades would literally by 1/4” to 3/8” from the rad fins. I’m wondering at this point if I should just try to find a fixed 18” fan and use a spacer to get it half in and half out of the shroud

Not sure what fan clutch you have but I feel for you on the tightness of the engine to the radiator. Been there, done that, have the scars on the knuckles to prove it!

Hayden is the usual supllier for fan clutches. Something I did was use their "shortie" fan clutch made for just such situations. Hayden #2947 fan clutch. I don't recall how much shorter it is but I want to say something like 3/4" or maybe a tad more. It made a difference for me with my 71 Demon 340.
1721099230101.png

Not sure what fan clutch you have but I feel for you on the tightness of the engine to the radiator. Been there, done that, have the scars on the knuckles to prove it!

Hayden is the usual supllier for fan clutches. Something I did was use their "shortie" fan clutch made for just such situations. Hayden #2947 fan clutch. I don't recall how much shorter it is but I want to say something like 3/4" or maybe a tad more. It made a difference for me with my 71 Demon 340.
View attachment 1716276754
Oh wow. Yep, thats exactly what I’d need. I’ll measure in the morning how tall mine is. Mine is the stock 1971 340 clutch fan. Hoping to find an 18” fan somewhere tomorrow, as I have to drive the car 40 minutes to alignment shop on Thursday. But I’d definitely like to keep the look of my factory setup eventually. So that one you just sent me looks perfect. Thanks!

Unrelated to your goal of getting the Duster on the road again, how come the water pump isn’t painted blue like the rest of your engine?

I wonder if your radiator has been dicked with. Maybe side mounts are attached in the wrong place? Making the radiator stick out more than it should.

Unrelated to your goal of getting the Duster on the road again, how come the water pump isn’t painted blue like the rest of your engine?
Hmm. I didn’t know that it was supposed to be blue. Thats how I got it back from the engine builder. They painted the engine after the rebuild. I just assumed it wasn’t supposed to be blue. Another project added to my list. Thanks!

Well, looks like when **** head got the rad re cored, they put the core way too close to the front of the rad housing. I went to national moparts this morning and he said that can be the only thing that makes sense. My fin portion of the rad needs to be taken out and pushed towards the front of the car. He gave me another mechanical fan to try, but he didn’t have a spacer and without a spacer, it hits the water pump pulleys etc. It also doesn’t even fit in the rad shroud. Diameter seems to big. Time to give up for a bit, I guess. I’m at the end of my rope, at this point

I wonder if your radiator has been dicked with. Maybe side mounts are attached in the wrong place? Making the radiator stick out more than it should.
I think you’re exactly right. I just wrote that. I didn’t see this message until now. Here is a pic of how close the fins are to the water pump side. Also a pic of mechanical fan that they gave me to try. It doesn’t even fit in the fan shroud

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

Maybe the recore job was junk and that is part of your overheating problem? Maybe worth taking it in to a decent shop and have it checked, or just find a replacement that mounts the shroud?

Not today though, walk away for a minute.

Well, looks like when **** head got the rad re cored, they put the core way too close to the front of the rad housing. I went to national moparts this morning and he said that can be the only thing that makes sense. My fin portion of the rad needs to be taken out and pushed towards the front of the car. He gave me another mechanical fan to try, but he didn’t have a spacer and without a spacer, it hits the water pump pulleys etc. It also doesn’t even fit in the rad shroud. Diameter seems to big. Time to give up for a bit, I guess. I’m at the end of my rope, at this point
No, not give up. Just another stumbling block. If a new rad is needed, get one ordered up. There are several companies out there that make repop or very close repops of the original rads. OER ($$) makes a close-looking one. Then there is always Glen-Ray ($$$) of course if absolute original is what you want. Or several others that make a decent product - Cold Case here would have one very capable to cool the engine.

No, not give up. Just another stumbling block. If a new rad is needed, get one ordered up. There are several companies out there that make repop or very close repops of the original rads. OER ($$) makes a close-looking one. Then there is always Glen-Ray ($$$) of course if absolute original is what you want. Or several others that make a decent product - Cold Case here would have one very capable to cool the engine.
Thanks guys. I appreciate not only the help, but the encouragement. I milled down a 2” spacer to around 1”. It fits now. But fan is too big for shroud, as mentioned before. I’m going to try it and see what temp difference is. I also put a new rad cap on. Here is a pic of measuring from front of water pump pulley to fins on rad. 2.5”

Last 2 pics are the rad fan I got today and my original clutch fan

IMG_1074.jpeg

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg

No, that's correct. The core of the rad is installed closer to the engine.

That fan is wrong as well. Probably out of an aspen or Diplomat or something.

-
Back