fresh 904 rebuild, not shifting at all

-

purduke66

Reaction score
rebuilt my transmission recently and finally after a reinstall and getting it back to the point to run, i had no engagement of gears. I had a friend who profeesionally build transmiisions help and i kept checking the fluid and it seemed to be good but only took 5 quarts after a recent rebuild. Im think that it should take around 7-8. The converter has 1 quart put into it and its a Hugh's performance torque converter (2000-2200 stall). The transmission shift level seemed to go into each gear OK (PRND21) but wouldnt engage any ideas?

Trans is a 1969 904 out of a 69 charger

904 Pro Super Kit 1962-up --> the rebuild kit used and the torque converter is from hughes perfromance ,Street Rod 2000-2200 This converter was designed and manufactured for the street rod enthusiast needing that slight edge of the O.E.M stock converter. This unit has silicon brazing for strength, needle bearings for reliability, and stator modifications for more torque multiplication.

I had a similar problem lastyear after installing a new rebuilt 904.I drove the car to get frontend alignment,after the alignment I test drove all was good,turned a corner and no gears.The pump had gone for a $hit,replaced and alls good.Check you levels in neutral as Guitar mentioned.

I saw that yesterday about using neutral , but it still did the same thing. also tried to reseat the troque converter and still no joy. is it possible the keys that the torque converter slides into have sheared off ? does that happen?

Did you have ANY trouble getting the trans to bolt to the engine? It should have mated right up and the converter should have spun freely with about 3/8" of space away from the flex plate. If you had to "draw it in" with the bolts the converter wasn't seated all the way and you broke the drive dogs off the pump gear. It's easy to do, I learned this the hard way.

Take a cooler line loose, start the engine and shift to neutral. You'll know real quick if the pump is running.

It did mount up ok and it seems to be seated far enough into the case. Ill try what you suggest tonight before it comes completely out. How would you replace the drive dogs? Just by replacing the whole pump?

It did mount up ok and it seems to be seated far enough into the case. Ill try what you suggest tonight before it comes completely out. How would you replace the drive dogs? Just by replacing the whole pump?

the question is not whether is seated far enough into case...but whether it seated far enough to engage the pump....the converter has to drop like twice...and if you move the converter back it forth...you should hear a clak..clak...that is the converter hub hitting the ears on the pump....then you know you are far enough....

A buddy of mine purchased a converter that didnt fit the 904 spline, and would not go into gear. I think he had to have a different shaft put in the trans

A buddy of mine purchased a converter that didnt fit the 904 spline, and would not go into gear. I think he had to have a different shaft put in the trans

the lockup trans and the non lockup trans have different splines..by one..

but the lock up trans has a very different input shaft compared to a non lock up input shaft.

I doubled check the specs say both are 27 spline but i can double check once i have it down again

If i would have paid closer attention with your first post, you said you just rebuilt and reinstalled. That would eliminate my guess of the splines not matching.

I think everything just leads to the transmission coming downagain tonight soo let you know what i find out

i just noticed i have two screen names, i couldnt get mopar0166 to work. Oh well im both Purduke66 and mopar0166

so you moved the shifter thru the gears....and you had no forward gears or reverse?

could you move the wheels by hand....or can you move the output shaft on the 904?

i could move the wheels but when i took it out i couldnt spin the shaft

fluid level never went down , at least that i noticed and i let it get up to temp

It sure sounds like it's not pumping fluid. Did you try removing one of the cooler lines and sticking it into a bucket then starting the car in neutral to see if it's pumping fluid? If it's not pumping fluid and you know for sure the pump ears are not sheared off it must have a problem in the valve body pressure relief valve.

fluid level never down, valve body has a tci shift kit, down forward or reverse gears

-
Back