fresh 904 rebuild, not shifting at all

-
i could move the wheels but when i took it out i couldnt spin the shaft

you could not move the output shaft...

clutch pac was binding...not fully seated...

once you get the trans back together....you should be able to turn the input shaft and out put shaft should turn...the out put shaft should only turn in one direction due to sprag...

what would cause the clutch pack to bind? i readjusted the bands with no joy. I thought the you were suppose to be able to turn the shaft by hand, is this more of an internal problem?

what would cause the clutch pack to bind? i readjusted the bands with no joy. I thought the you were suppose to be able to turn the shaft by hand, is this more of an internal problem?

It will only turn one direction very easy. And to do that you have to also have it in neutral. If it doesn't it is an internal problem. Either not assembled correctly or clearances are too tight.

i under stand i could spin it with the drive shaft or when the torque converter is on the trans

could the rear band be too tight ? also i was getting a pessure , there has to be an internal issue with the pump it self. Im awaiting a slide hammer to get it out.

could the rear band be too tight ? also i was getting a pessure , there has to be an internal issue with the pump it self. Im awaiting a slide hammer to get it out.

Yeah if the rear band is too tight that'll cause it to be tight and possibly not turn at all. What are you saying about pressure? If your saying your not getting pressure that doesn't mean it has to be a pump problem. It can be the pump or more likely it's something in the regulator circuit of the valve body. It's actually really rare to have a pump problem unless the converter wasn't seated in when it was put it together and was forced together shearing off the pump lugs.

Ill look more into a problem with the regulator circuit of the valve body, and readjust the rear band. if the band was to tight not allowing the shaft to be spun by hand would that lead to low pessure in the trans ?

Ill look more into a problem with the regulator circuit of the valve body, and readjust the rear band. if the band was to tight not allowing the shaft to be spun by hand would that lead to low pessure in the trans ?

The band adjustment has nothing to do with oil pressure.

BTW: is your rear band the double wrap or single band? If it's the double wrap it's needs backed off a bunch more than a single wrap band.

I meant to say --à Could the rear band be too tight causing the it to make the saft hard to turn by hand ? Also I was getting NO pressure, because it would only take 5 qts after rebuild/installation. Does the band issue have anything to do with the lack fo pressure / movement of fluild in the trans ? Lastly is there has any internal issue with the pump it self if the pump ears are presen?.

I d have to say double wrap, they were both performance bands

904 StreetFighter® Tighten 72 in.-lbs., back off 2 turns counterclockwise Single wrap band: Tighten 72 in.-lbs., back off 3 ¼ turns counterclockwise Double wrap band: Tighten 72 in.-lbs., back off 4 turns counterclockwise

After reading what a double wrap band consists of , thats most likely what i have, Ill have to readjust it tonight.

Any procedure for bench testing a 904 ?

you can bench test the servo and clutch pacs on the bench with air...

Im guess by pressure correct? I think i saw that in the FSM

Anything else that may be suspect for this happengin to my transmission ? any other ideas im all ears, thanks so much everyone!!!

Did you replace the filter, if so, put the old one back on, and try that,, wouldn't be the first time I had a new, defective filter, or new, plugged muffler, but that's another story, just sounds like a pressure prob..or lack of..

Did you replace the filter, if so, put the old one back on, and try that,, wouldn't be the first time I had a new, defective filter, or new, plugged muffler, but that's another story, just sounds like a pressure prob..

Make sure the manual valve that the shift linkage moves on the valve body is correctly engaged to the linkage and moves when you move the shifter.
It's easy to miss when going back together.

Ill put another filter on and look at the manual valve when i get home. Sux having to work tens hours and have a 2 hour commute home

Rebuild Kit ----> used on this build Pro Super Kits

The TCI® Pro Super Kit is just what it says: a super rebuild kit that contains gaskets, seals, clutches, steels, forward bands, adjustable modulator, high volume filter and Trans-Scat valve body modifications, and even a drain plug kit. Contains the same parts and pieces that we use to build the StreetFighter® transmission.

Trans-Scat® Valve Body Kits

The Trans-Scat® Kit offers two options for applications. Designed to deliver a good solid shift suitable for towing applications or a competition quality gear shift. The Trans-Scat® eliminates transmission slippage and lag. Provides a harder, more positive shift and allows you to downshift the vehicle on demand. With most models, you are able to manually shift and hold the transmission in first gear until you shift to a higher gear...very advantageous when extra power is needed to top a hill. As long as the vehicle remains in drive, it will still be fully automatic. Our kit vastly improves the 2nd and 3rd gear shift, improves performance, improves fuel economy and helps extend clutch and band life.

Finally took off the pan, and it looked clean inside, filter was clean and clear. Manual valve is clear and moving good through all gears. i readjusted bands and the shaft will still not move easily by hand.

it is not going to move easy by hand...but the important thing is that it moves...

I usually take a set of channel locks to move the input shaft to make sure the output is turning too..

you just want to make sure that nothing is binding...and this is with the pump installed and ready to go...

-
Back