fresh 904 rebuild, not shifting at all

-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PEFo3H6fQY&feature=digest"]YouTube - Part 16. Front Gear Section Assembly[/ame]

That trans and converter with stock pan should take around 8 quarts. With deep pan it should be around 10. Using the stock dipstick is fine because you still want the fluid level to be the same as with the stock pan. Main reason for the deep pan is you get better cooling with the extra 2 quarts in there. If it reads full with only 5 or 6 quarts, it's not pumping fluid. The first thing it will do when started is suck the fluid out of the pan and fill the converter. If the pump was working, that converter would be full everytime you slide it out and fluid would run all over the floor.

thats what i was thinking for capacity but for intital start up after a rebuilf how much should be put in, does the deep pan need to have the 2 extra quarts so that it will get suction?

With a stock pan I usually start at 4. Deep pan 5. Don't let it run for very long. It will suck that fluid out quick if it's pumping like it should. I will then usually add another 2 or 3 and fire it up again. Then I start checking the level and adding 1 at a time. When I start getting close, I like to run the shifter through all the gears a few times. That'll allow most of the valves to open and get the fluid in all the Nooks and Crannies.

Yeah i had put in 5 qts and level stayed steady, then i put in one more and still nothing , and no engagement

Well I have seen one time where someone used a lockup reaction shaft on a non lockup trans. They are virtually identical but the non lock up has one passage open where the lockup has it blocked with a ball staked into the assembly. This will not allow the converter to fill, there will be no cooler flow either as fluid comes directly out of the converter to the front cooler line.

You might ask your buddy what parts he replaced in your trans.

given there is 5 pages of post...what was done with the valve body?

THE Valve body got this---> Trans-Scat® Valve Body Kits

The Trans-Scat® Kit offers two options for applications. Designed to deliver a good solid shift suitable for towing applications or a competition quality gear shift. The Trans-Scat® eliminates transmission slippage and lag. Provides a harder, more positive shift and allows you to downshift the vehicle on demand. With most models, you are able to manually shift and hold the transmission in first gear until you shift to a higher gear...very advantageous when extra power is needed to top a hill. As long as the vehicle remains in drive, it will still be fully automatic. Our kit vastly improves the 2nd and 3rd gear shift, improves performance, improves fuel economy and helps extend clutch and band life.

Which was part of the TCI rebuild kit

I havent pulled the pump yet, im awaiting a slide hammer from my buddy and for the new pump to show up. Im leaning toward the pump, i have to think its an issue with the gasket or some inside

Yeah, my buddy did it, i wasnt going to atempt to do it.

everything seems to still lead to a pressure problem, wont know till the new one shows up! Thanks again everyone

If you had no ATF pumping out of the cooler line with the trans. in neutral it's definitely a oil pressure issue. Did you look into the front pump where the torque converter lugs engage to make sure their not broken off? If so I'd lean towards it being either the pump gasket wasn't installed correctly or he didn't do something right when he did the valve body, which I've seen quite a few times.

Well the trans was running fine with the valve body kit we did last year, this one came with the kit and replaced what he thought was necessary. the pump on the other hand wasnt touched except for lube for start up. he said it didnt look like thier was many different ways to put the gasket on. Teh air tests went ok, the servos worked great and the clutches you could hear a slight thud. Im hoping that replacing the pump and putting in a new gasket will help. any other way to screw up the pump when reinstallign it?

I dunno understand how a professional mechanic would screw it up unless is destroyed on the inside

hopefully ill have the parts and installed by Easter and can give updates as I go, any other ideas on normal things that get screwed up on these trans during a rebuild with performance rebuild kit would be greatly appreciated

Correct, my buddy just told me its a nice to have but not needed.

-
Back