fresh 904 rebuild, not shifting at all

-
ok , so if it had the performance tci kit in it i should be able to turn it by hand but with the aid of channel locks i should be able to? im going to put in a new pump anyway cause i already ordered one. then i guess pressure tests..

has the valve body been touched???

have you air tested the clutch pacs....have air tested the front and rear servos???

the throttle buddy has a shift kit
i listed the rebuild i used and the shift kit< stiil seems like a pump issue?>??

I meant to say --à Could the rear band be too tight causing the it to make the saft hard to turn by hand ? Also I was getting NO pressure, because it would only take 5 qts after rebuild/installation. Does the band issue have anything to do with the lack fo pressure / movement of fluild in the trans ? Lastly is there has any internal issue with the pump it self if the pump ears are presen?.

If you will read my reply right above your post here you'll see I already answered that question but I'll say it again,

NO, THERE IS NO WAY A MIS-ADJUSTED BAND WILL AFFECT OIL PRESSURE.

Let me ask you a question, did you just throw this rebuild kit in the transmission or actually check some clearances while you were rebuilding it? You should have bench tested the clutch packs with low pressure air (30-35 psi) before installing them. Then re-tested it again after it was assembled. Here's a picture print out from the factory serv. manual of where to inject air to bench test the bands and clutch packs once the trans is assembled but right before you bolt on the valve body. The picture is of a 727 but the ports are in the same location on a 904.

Attachments

• 727 Air test ports 2.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 207
Wow, I've been reading through the factory service manual and other books that i have and that shows it the best. I proably skimmed over becuase i was thinking it was for 727. ThaAll clearances were checked and double checked during the rebuild, we took our time rebuilding this trans and were trying to rush it to avoid this type of situation.

Ill perform all the air tests that you have listed tonight and go from there. Thanks again for everything!!!!

How about readjusting the throttle pressure lever and arm, would that be related enough to pressure issues ?

Deep oil pan,, and it took 5 qts, Is it the original dipstick? somethings fishy, have you had to replace dipstick?

Ya know, considering all clutch packs binding, and miss-adjusted bands, and kick-down etc... he should get something, some motion, attempted motion, engine loading up, or some symptom of the trans trying to do something,, but nada... you.ve checked filter, you didn't mention if you took a cooler line off, and started it up,, did you get a spewing flow outa the line?? I'm thinking add 1, try, then add another quart of fluid,, you just may not be picking up the fluid in the deep pan... or you put a gasket in wrong, and blocked a passage.. does the shift kit come with some sort of optional gskt,,, where you get to choose from two similar gskts,, could you have chosen the wrong one?? I can't remember, but the pump to housing gskt, if put on backwards, doesn't it block passages,, trans guys should know this, help?

It does have a deep pan with a deep pan pick up that came with the pan. I beleive it was a mopar performance one. I also did remove a coooling line and didnt get anything but a drip age coming out. The filter was clean last night and it was replaced when it was rebuilt this month. I also proably had at the most added about 6.5 qts at one time with no results as well. I was thinking as well about a blocked passage because so far there is no real observed faults with the pump. Is that common at all and where might a gasket be installed wrong?

Wow, I've been reading through the factory service manual and other books that i have and that shows it the best. I proably skimmed over becuase i was thinking it was for 727. ThaAll clearances were checked and double checked during the rebuild, we took our time rebuilding this trans and were trying to rush it to avoid this type of situation.

Ill perform all the air tests that you have listed tonight and go from there. Thanks again for everything!!!!

Ok.

Forgot to also mention in running a deep pan as well

Hummm. Do you have the filter extension? If not I wonder if 5 qts is enough for it to pick up? Just a thought. You might add a couple more qts. and see what happens.

How about readjusting the throttle pressure lever and arm, would that be related enough to pressure issues ?

No. The throttle pressure linkage does vary the oil pressure to the clutch packs but even if you took it off completely the transmission would still work. It'd shift sloppy and burn up pretty fast due to low pressure.

Sorry I was typing when you were writing your last response and see you answered the question about the pickup.

As for a gasket installed wrong. The only 2 gaskets a torqueflite has are the pump gasket and the extension housing gasket. None on the valve body. That's a GM thing.

I suppose it's possible to install a pump gasket wrong. If it was installed wrong that'd sure cause no oil pressure.

Ill have to ask my buddy who did the final assembly wether he put a new gasket in the pump, i would have to say yes. If he did then i guess i can add that to the things to check tonight. If all the air tests pass, then is it a matter of the pump or the valve body as suspect correct ?

while you have the trans out...is the pump out of the trans?

go slip the converter on to the pump...the converter should be all the way on the pump once it is engaged...

well , if you didn't get nuthin out the cooler line,, then pumps not working, or can't pick up oil for some reason, if pump works, and is picking up oil but not shooting out cooler lines, and no hint of transmission engagement, then likely pressure not getting to valve body.. so low oil, bad pump, or blockage to valve body,, did I miss anything,, ahhh the manual valve , which he says is hooked up and moving..

What dipstick did you use?

were you sure the converter was seated?

this is what the converter looks like seated...the convert is all the way against the pump and then the converter will need to come forward to the flexplate about 1/8"

if you have the pump out of the trans...you can try it ....just slide the pump onto the converter...

Attachments

• 100_3116.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 149
I have gotten the new converter to seat all the way and the old converter to seat all the way. they both measure out the same as well. the FSM say to put a straight edge across teh case and measure from the torque converter tab to the edge of the case at 1/2" to fully seated location. i met that on both converters. The dipstick is a stock becuase i could find one to properly fit the pan i got. Im planning on doing the air tests tonight to hopefully eliminate the internals and then work towards the valve body to verfiy thats not clogged etc.

Could a misaligned pump gaskets cuase all this? would the pressure just clear the blockage? if it did then im guessing it would have ended up in the valve body
?

Did you match the new pump gasket to the old one? I seen the wrong ones in kits.And did you pack the pump with trans assembly grease or vasoline before install?

tried to install two ways...seems like the bolt holes only line on way

my money's on pump gskt alignment, he's got converter in right, even a worn out pump will do something.. is possitive displacement pump, so air lock impossible, and if filter has been checked,,

could it be a massive air leak between filter,adaptor, and valve body?? keeps sucking air,,

is there anyway it can suck air, is the adaptor between filter/v-body gsketed?? man , that would have to be a heck of a leak .. but.. is the fluid "foamy" at all.???.

I would mark the pump and remove it where its at right now... See if it lines up with the holes in the case... and check the gasket... Id mark it first so that if it is wrong you will know what it was.

Yes my buddy told me he did use assembly lube, he has rebuilt dozens of transmissions but his availability to help me right now is slim. So what better way to learn transmissions faster then this ha-ha I really do appreciate all the help it&#8217;s been extremely helpful!

-
Back