Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Thats allright, i bet i could live a good year of off a decent horse, then shoot another one on your next hunt

That’s sick!!! But if the she-it hits the fan I’ll be cutting down the trees in my back yard to get a better line of shot.

@Sublime one

IMG_4338.jpeg

Friend and I went deer/elk hunting long ago in Colorado. Late combination season for both, mid-November I think it was, plenty snow. We kept the things we didn't want to freeze in the ice chests, it was that chilly up there at 7000' elevation. One of the most amusing things about the trip was the ranchers that bordered the National Forest lands, rather than use those high visibility orange vests on their livestock, they PAINTED their critters that neon orange :rofl:

John, you'll love this ... Fort Carson... mid 90s. Infil on final solo stalk. Dark as dark moving across a valley using the "Sniper jog" and two bulls start going at it in a cluster of trees to my left... Took a second to take in and process the freaking havok, but ok, got a timeline...
The brawl spills out into the open space where I'm standing, ghillie'd-up holding my M700....

Errrrr. AWKWARD. None of us mammals knew what to do.

They bolted back into the brush, and I kept moving, operating with a nice adrenaline boost.

@Sublime one

John, you'll love this ... Fort Carson... mid 90s. Infil on final solo stalk. Dark as dark moving across a valley using the "Sniper jog" and two bulls start going at it in a cluster of trees to my left... Took a second to take in and process the freaking havok, but ok, got a timeline...
The brawl spills out into the open space where I'm standing, ghillie'd-up holding my M700....

Errrrr. AWKWARD. None of us mammals knew what to do.

They bolted back into the brush, and I kept moving, operating with a nice adrenaline boost.

@Sublime one
That is classic, you are racing the clock. They just wanna have breeding rights! Makes for a small pasture don’t it! Everything involved is going WTF?

Would you look at that. My dues for my local sportsmen club went up. No wonder guys were complaining. Lol

IMG_4390.jpeg

That's a bargain.
Does everyonee help with things like maintanence days etc?

Those that can do. I Dont as I can’t keep Up with my own work. It’s like anything else in life. Some guys are up there 3-7 days a week with trap league, skeet league, Turkey shoots, archery range. They get rubber belts donated so that really helped with range maintenance.

So a few of the students I had this week were struggling with their big fancy custom rifles equipped with the 900 pound scopes. We are talking custom shop 22s complete with adjustable combs on the stock, etc etc. They had to shoot standing unsupported at 25 yards into a 4.5 inch circle. Finally the frustration overwhelmed me and I looked over at my trusty four wheeler with spray tank rig on back, shovel on front, winch and cable coiled in basket and nestled on top is the always present bone stock Ruger 10/22 with a 50s vintage fixed 4x scope, electrical tape over the muzzle to keep dirt daubers out, receiver so rusty you would think it had been left on ground. But I keep action oiled and she is dialed in. I grabbed it tossed it on my shoulder ran off four shots in quick succession told them to fetch the target. (Pix below) They were all aghast, next thing ya know they were all clamoring to use it and I got em qualified! Weighs next to nuthin and simply shoots. Ugly is better!

IMG_2280.jpeg

So a few of the students I had this week were struggling with their big fancy custom rifles equipped with the 900 pound scopes. We are talking custom shop 22s complete with adjustable combs on the stock, etc etc. They had to shoot standing unsupported at 25 yards into a 4.5 inch circle. Finally the frustration overwhelmed me and I looked over at my trusty four wheeler with spray tank rig on back, shovel on front, winch and cable coiled in basket and nestled on top is the always present bone stock Ruger 10/22 with a 50s vintage fixed 4x scope, electrical tape over the muzzle to keep dirt daubers out, receiver so rusty you would think it had been left on ground. But I keep action oiled and she is dialed in. I grabbed it tossed it on my shoulder ran off four shots in quick succession told them to fetch the target. (Pix below) They were all aghast, next thing ya know they were all clamoring to use it and I got em qualified! Weighs next to nuthin and simply shoots. Ugly is better!

View attachment 1716300893
:rofl:

Ugly effective

I like light, ugly, and I’ll throw in cheap too. I bought an old ram horn sight 32 special and a 12 gauge JC Higans for 75.00. I got more deer and shot more rounds of trap out of those two guns. People would just look at them and say what the heck is that. I made money on those two. Lol

:rofl:

Ugly effective
In the merciless manner in which fellow instructors treat each other, my partner at the end of the class session holds up said target, and goes on rant to the class over my pitiful shooting skills and my deteriorating eyesight which is highlighted by the “flyer” located at the bottom of group at seven o clock. Hah!

I like light, ugly, and I’ll throw in cheap too. I bought an old ram horn sight 32 special and a 12 gauge JC Higans for 75.00. I got more deer and shot more rounds of trap out of those two guns. People would just look at them and say what the heck is that. I made money on those two. Lol
Like that Mossberg 500 20 Youth Model I traded for. Short, light, plain, took it to an open to the public day at the gun club first time I ever shot trap, 17 outa 25 I did. " :wtf: is that you're shooting? Gimme that thing." My boss was an elected official at the club he did 20. "This is just a toy, but it sure shoots good." It just fit me so good it made it easy.

Like that Mossberg 500 20 Youth Model I traded for. Short, light, plain, took it to an open to the public day at the gun club first time I ever shot trap, 17 outa 25 I did. " :wtf: is that you're shooting? Gimme that thing." My boss was an elected official at the club he did 20. "This is just a toy, but it sure shoots good." It just fit me so good it made it easy.
Fit is key! I try over and over to explain that to my youth team’s parents.

Fit is key! I try over and over to explain that to my youth team’s parents.

Parents try to cheap out and buy a gun the kids will grow into. I can count probably on one or two fingers how many times I lost money on a gun. They don’t depreciate very often.

I just got it because it fit in the pouch on the back of the blanket seat cover I had in my Yota 4x4 so well :lol:
That is some throwback memories right there. I had a Mossberg pump in mine. In an old Chevy 79 4x4 that we hauled a fertilizer buggy with. It had cancer so bad around the fenders you could read thru it!

-
Back