Headers vs. Exhaust Manifolds ~ 'Let The Debate Begin'

-
Math is good,, so's common sense.. On your typical log style manifold, outlet at the end,
during that 105 inches of "space", with the exception of the front exhaust port,, when the exhaust valve opens, the exhaust blasts outta the port and hits the opposite manifold wall,, for symplicity sake, x amt of gases turn left,, x amt of gases turn right,, the gases not heading toward the tailpipe have to be reversed/re-directed,, how would that be accomplished ..??

pressure wave propagation. It hits the wall at 350 f/s and bounces in all directions at the same until it finds an exit, that takes about 1/250 of a second at its longest route. at 7500 rpm, your still only seeing 120 pulses per second per bank. still enough time but the point of a header is to scavenge. still better than manifolds but maybe not what is obvious.

I sold way too many sets of Blackjack headers for 49.99
Me too Cracked. Holley 2 barrels were 49.95 as well as 14x6 Cragar SS's. I put a set of Micky Thompson Try Y's on my 73 Challenger and it wasn't any faster at the drag strip. I didn't tune eitheri

Headers '101'

Our example, 1970 Plymouth 'Duster 340'

Factory rated at > 275 HP @ 5000 RPM's for Marketing Purposes.

Re-factored to a proper > 290 HP @ 5150 RPM's

Base Line ........ 290 HP > with Exhaust Manifolds and Stock Exhaust
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Header Horsepower Gains

Staying with a 'completely' Stock Engine, and running the Headers thru
the 'factory installed' or Factory-type of Exhaust System.

A pair of inexpensive 'Cheapie' Headers {ie; Appliance, Cragar or Blackjack} will still produce a gain of a minimum of {+5%}.

That equates to {+14 Horsepower} on an 'all-stock' Mopar 340.

These numbers come from personal tests from;
* Chassis Dyno Testing
* Track Results
* Exhaust Flow Readings
* Exhaust Temperature Readings
* Engine Air Temperature Readings

I've never dyno'd a engine/car. I've always believed in two test for proving: 1.) "by the seat of your pants" test, and 2.) The most accurate, an E.T. slip. I have never bolted on a set of headers and had a car be slower.

I've never dyno'd a engine/car. I've always believed in two test for proving: 1.) "by the seat of your pants" test, and 2.) The most accurate, an E.T. slip. I have never bolted on a set of headers and had a car be slower.

318-Will-Run

Dynamometer-Testing is used to be as 'a tool', not the end all and be all.

The real results are seen at the Track.

But in January in the Northeast, just what Dragstrip are you going to test your new set of Headers at, to see how much 'juice' they added ?

'Back-in-the-Day' > That is where our 'Clayton' Chassis Dynamomter came in handy.

You see, some 'Banana Heads' that call the Dynamometer 'useless', cannot answer the above question.

No dynos aren't useless they're good for breaking-in engines and maybe tuning..but if you want "real" true numbers take it to the strip..timeslips don't lie.. a dyno can be "goosed" to read what ever you want..so don't believe what you see or hear when it comes to someone talking about how much power they made on a dyno...

~ Appliance Industries ~

Based out of > Harbor City, California

'Appliance Headers'

The company got started in 1968, and were big into 'Low-Priced' Headers
and 'Chrome-Slotted' Steel Wheels.

They started to make a 'strong' Marketing move in 1972, and soon were
a 'favorite' at the Performance Distributor Warehouses.

see Decal; A 'Vulture' sitting on Headers.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/malcolmallan/Appliance5D.jpg

~ Marketing Catch Phrases ~

~ 3 Good Reasons To Install Appliance Headers ~
* More Horsepower
* Better Acceleration
* Increase Mileage

~ Appliance Headers Are The Finest Headers Ever Built ~
* Individual Flanges are precision ground at each Exhaust-Port
* Leak-Proof Sealing
* Contoured Individual Flanges
* 16 Gauge Tubing {20% thicker than most other Header Companies}
* Longer Life ~ Trouble-Free Performance
* 4-Bolt Square Collector-Flange for Strength
* All needed hardware
* A Price You Can Afford

I had some stamped steel chrome 'slots' on my first '65 in high school. Could have used some headers back then too.

I had some stamped steel chrome 'slots' on my first '65 in high school. Could have used some headers back then too.

Pishta

Don't forget the 'Shackles'.

'Shackles' were worth 2/10's, as long as you were heading down-hill.

Weight-Transfer.

Attachments

• APPLIANCE HEADERS.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 284
I liked the JR Fenderwell headers on my old 63 Valiant... showed a great seat of the pants gain... and proved it at Suffolk raceway (early 70's)... You can see them looping up and back down..

Oh, to be Young again...

Clif, of Az. :coffee2: "feeling like an Old Brown Shoe" Sigh~

Attachments

• race63.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 301
318-Will-Run

Dynamometer-Testing is used to be as 'a tool', not the end all and be all.

The real results are seen at the Track.

But in January in the Northeast, just what Dragstrip are you going to test your new set of Headers at, to see how much 'juice' they added ?

'Back-in-the-Day' > That is where our 'Clayton' Chassis Dynamomter came in handy.

You see, some 'Banana Heads' that call the Dynamometer 'useless', cannot answer the above question.
WOW! Banana heads? Just because I say "I didn't use a dyno", doesn't mean that I think they are useless. And I know that dyno's are a "TOOL". The point I was saying was simple: I don't know what the horsepower increase is, but every car I put headers on picked up performance.
I've bought too many bolt-on performance pieces that promised 15 horsepower or whatever, and when you put it on the E.T. doesn't drop not even 1 tenth of a second. I'm just saying that the debate of performance of headers vs manifolds, headers wins!

Never mind, I remember. 69 Cuda 440, you are the one that loves to bring "something vs. something", which is always a debatable subject, and then you call names when you think someone is trying to "pull your punk card". You called crackedback "backcracked", you called me 318willNOTrun, etc.,etc.,etc. .. Now, your "punk card" is a dyno, and if someone doesn't live for it, they're a banana head. You are way, way, to sensitive, and so quick to "lash out". I will stay out of your debates and comparisons. So long......... 318willrun :)

318 Will Run,

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I wasn't calling you a 'Banana Head'. I was just
making a general 'tongue-in-cheek' statement.

There was no intent to 'harm or injure'.

There are 'no' Banana Heads in Illinois.

Fredo

It is all about 'Back Pressure'.

kPa = Kilopascal

1 kPa = 10 hPa = 10 mbar = 4.0147 @ H2O = 0.2953 in Hg

It is all very simple as you can see ^^^^.

I liked the JR Fenderwell headers on my old 63 Valiant... showed a great seat of the pants gain... and proved it at Suffolk raceway (early 70's)... You can see them looping up and back down..

Oh, to be Young again...

Clif, of Az. :coffee2: "feeling like an Old Brown Shoe" Sigh~

Cliff, it just hit me.

That scene reminds me of a ...... 'Psychotic Reaction' from 'The Count Five'.

It is all about Smooth High Speed 'scavenging effect' & FLOW with no Sharp Turns... LA heads like most 'wedges' perfer to breath up rather then a sharp turn down...

Clif, Old Mopar Geezer... :coffee2: My Two Cent... If I appear 'Psychotic', I'm okay with that. :???:

What a great place this is, where opinions differing than your own are met with insults and ad-hominen attacks. Some things never change.

Just because I have no clue, but was feeling left out. You take a stock or mild 318.Off the stuffy logs and single exhaust. Add those unusual 340 2 1/4" manifolds into 2 1/2" or 3" Dual exhaust .....7 1/2 hp? 10 hp if I add shackles and chrome wheels...

Just because I have no clue, but was feeling left out. You take a stock or mild 318.Off the stuffy logs and single exhaust. Add those unusual 340 2 1/4" manifolds into 2 1/2" or 3" Dual exhaust .....7 1/2 hp? 10 hp if I add shackles and chrome wheels...

That would be 'il accurato'.

Don't forget the >
* Chrome Lug-Nuts
* Chrome Wheel-Caps w/Insignia

And most important, Chrome Air-Valve Stems

That would be 'il accurato'.

Don't forget the >
* Chrome Lug-Nuts
* Chrome Wheel-Caps w/Insignia

And most important, Chrome Air-Valve Stems

AAAAh!! I knew I should of sprung for the chrome valve stems!

-
Back